TV-Out Cable ?

We dont have RGB anyways - you could put the S-Video and audio out into a SCART plug though, but that is the weirdest format to go in SCART so support may be a bit less than usual - normally it is CVBS or RGB in SCART.

These plugs are quite normal and ubiquitous:

800px-Multiconnector-scart-chti.jpg

I don't like that many connections, the more connections the worse the quality.

I just want a cable that goes from OP TV OUT to 1x S-Video/S-VHS plug and 2x audio (chinch/RCA) plug. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not in the slightest - I've never seen one of those (SCART connectors) before in my life.  I looked it up - some sort of French designed plug from the 1970s???  Sheesh - we can do better than that with a simple block of 1/8" stereo/video ports and adapters.

Yes, I've seen those around a lot. Did not mean that. I just meant that the SCART system has no way of telling the receiver that the signal is S-Video - so it must guess/autofancydetect or have a menu to select that. There is a way to tell CVBS vs RGB.

Not in the slightest - I've never seen one of those (SCART connectors) before in my life.  I looked it up - some sort of French designed plug from the 1970s???  Sheesh - we can do better than that with a simple block of 1/8" stereo/video ports and adapters.
I own about 10 of them, at least.

I don't like that many connections, the more connections the worse the quality.
Do you have any substantial evidence for this?

Otherwise I'll put that statement back in the koelkast.
Every millimeter, every coupling, everything has a certain resistance, so everything will make the signal less powerful. The less connections the less resistance.

But you don't have to believe me, no problem whatsoever. I just want a 1 on 1 cable or a connector so I can make my own.

Erm... I'm pretty sure that would only be the case if the path of least resistance flowed through every unused connection point, (I.E. if the additional connectors were all daisy chained together with the one you want only connected to the end of the chain, in which case there would be no point in having such additional connectors in the first place.)

- Neelix

Any news on the cable?

Also my support ticket is open since 1 month, no answer :(

The cable is around another couple of months away, from what I gather. Not a 2-month joke.

ED has advised that interested parties should sign up for notification of when they are available, both to be informed on time and to give him an idea how many might be needed:

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/accessories/119-pandora-tv-out-cable.html

(and necro pedantry, S-VHS denotes 'Super VHS' (the tape format), so where used in place of 'S-Video' - the connector -, is a very common error) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
^ It's still wrong.

It's like calling HDMI cables Blueray cables because a popular use of those cables are with blueray players. Svideo just happened to came out during the popularity of SVHS VCRs.

I'd worry about advice from that shop ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

I've seen the port labelled incorrectly many times too, on equipment and cables, always from 3rd party companies - but this is because the manufacturers just make what they're asked to, and in the case of packaging the wording is what the marketing people come up with!

The confusion arose, as said, because pretty much nothing had an S-Video port until S-VHS capable VCRs arrived, and a higher quality editing/dubbing connection was required. So for some time the only equipment generally available with S-Video sockets on it was an S-VHS VCR - even Laserdisc players only had composite and RF output for quite a while after S-VHS had the newer ports. The two terms became synonymous for that reason.

At first I wanted a TV-out cable of almost no length, because I planned to use a nice adapter or extension cable along with it.  But as a portable device the Pandora should require few accessories to do something simple like this, so now I have no gripes or opinions on whatever the length of the cable.  My remaining specification desire is for the plug itself to be as short as possible, and maybe angled up or down.  The larger and heavier the plug the more likely it will be broken off, like a long flash drive in a vertical USB port on a desktop someone walked too closely past.

The cable is around another couple of months away, from what I gather. Not a 2-month joke.

ED has advised that interested parties should sign up for notification of when they are available, both to be informed on time and to give him an idea how many might be needed:

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/accessories/119-pandora-tv-out-cable.html

Well I am registered now on the site. Can't wait to get it and hook it up to a TV/monitor. Now I do remember ordering the TV-out cable with my original Pandora order. I wonder if I automatically get it when the cable comes out or will I just have to order it again?

Back