TV Out Cables on Amazon?

We just got a new TV and I was wondering if I could avoid the waiting and just buy the TV-Out cables for my Pandora off of Amazon or something? I don't recognize the connector, and the picture doesn't do much to inform me of what I'd actually need to buy.

Any advice?

I don't suppose we'd be lucky enough to have the connector be used on any other mainstream devices from which we could hack together a proper cable?

I've been wondering if there was a guide to making a tv out cable. Something that told you which pin on plug A to connect to which pin on plug B.

Does there need to be some circuitry that goes between the two ends?

The picture linked in the first post gives all the info you'd need for an S-Video port (C, Y, GND). I think to make a composite output you just need to add a capacitor or two. The main problem is the connector, which the OPT has a bunch of but are saving for the eventual TV-out cable production, and the only place to get one is from manufactures with minimum orders of 2000+.

http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catalog/bin/TE.Connect?C=20020&M=PPROP&P=&BML=10576,17560,17559,17770,12594&LG=1&PG=1&IDS=328455,328456,328457,328458,328453,420546,370060,363282,321950,443958,371522,440941,440809,440942,328459,479446,420402,442539,421425,421578&N=9

Last edited by a moderator:
Still don't understand why these cables weren't packed in with all units and just adding $20-$30 to the price of the unit. At this point there would have been over 4000 cables sold because we've sold that many Pandoras.

I would love for these to see the light of day because it will be a game changer regarding the Pandora. When you can have it hooked to a monitor/flatscreen with a bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse/joystick.... :rolleyes:

Still I would love for these to see the light of day because it will be a game changer regarding the Pandora. When you can have it hooked to a monitor/flatscreen with a bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse/joystick.... :rolleyes:
You and me both, it was one of the main reasons why I ordered in the first place. Shame the company that made them can't setup an Amazon or eBay account and sell them on-line themselves :(

The picture linked in the first post gives all the info you'd need for an S-Video port (C, Y, GND). I think to make a composite output you just need to add a capacitor or two. The main problem is the connector, which the OPT has a bunch of but are saving for the eventual TV-out cable production, and the only place to get one is from manufactures with minimum orders of 2000+.

http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catalog/bin/TE.Connect?C=20020&M=PPROP&P=&BML=10576,17560,17559,17770,12594&LG=1&PG=1&IDS=328455,328456,328457,328458,328453,420546,370060,363282,321950,443958,371522,440941,440809,440942,328459,479446,420402,442539,421425,421578&N=9

The other way to get hold of one is to request a sample, only problem is tried requesting a sample but none in stock!

okay going back to the wiring. once i get my pandora i'll look to see if it is 1717169-2 or 1717169-1 plug it uses. (wiki says xxx-2) the wiring is simple as long as the Pandora follows the image. just cut a composite av cable and solider it to the correct pins and your good to go. problem is getting the connect as kilowatt said.

pandora cable_connector.png

why OP uses a proprietary connector for video is beyond me. it would have been nice to have video in the headphone jack.

okay going back to the wiring. once i get my pandora i'll look to see if it is 1717169-2 or 1717169-1 plug it uses. (wiki says xxx-2) the wiring is simple as long as the Pandora follows the image. just cut a composite av cable and solider it to the correct pins and your good to go. problem is getting the connect as kilowatt said.

As far as I can tell, the 1717169-2 and 1717169-1 are identical parts, as far as specs and dimensions are concerned. Not sure why there are two part numbers. The pins on the connector seem to support S-Video directly, as in it supplies all the right pins for it. You will need a couple passive components and some custom wiring to convert it to a composite video out (usually an RCA barrel jack).

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html

The C and Y pins are on the EXT port, as is a ground connection that can be used as a common ground for both C and Y. That guide suggests a capacitor between the C and Y lines; another guide showed two resistors. Not an electrical person, so I don't know if they are equivalent circuits.

why OP uses a proprietary connector for video is beyond me. it would have been nice to have video in the headphone jack.

I'm okay with them providing an external port with additional features not normally used extended to outside applications (serial ports, Line-In, TV-Out, GPIOs), though I am curious as to why they chose such a non-common port for the job. Maybe to keep people from plugging in incompatible stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Headphone jack has 3 or 4 conductors only. There is 14 lines! Yeah man, 14 lines: stereo audio out, stereo audio in, s-video out, 2x UART or up to 6 GPIO pins and Ucc (I don't recall exat voltage) for level converter. So, small connector that was available in stock was good choice.

---

To OPT: Sell few tens of those connectors to as please! We know that You have thousands of them.

Headphone jack has 3 or 4 conductors only. There is 14 lines! Yeah man, 14 lines: stereo audio out, stereo audio in, s-video out, 2x UART or up to 6 GPIO pins and Ucc (I don't recall exat voltage) for level converter. So, small connector that was available in stock was good choice.

---

To OPT: Sell few tens of those connectors to as please! We know that You have thousands of them.

I assume he meant supply just the video-out along with audio-out and mic-in through the headphone port, though this would still leave all the other lines needing an external port, so OPT/MWeston probably decided to reduce the complexity of such a headphone jack and leave the TV-out in the EXT connector.

As far as I can tell, the 1717169-2 and 1717169-1 are identical parts, as far as specs and dimensions are concerned. Not sure why there are two part numbers. The pins on the connector seem to support S-Video directly, as in it supplies all the right pins for it. You will need a couple passive components and some custom wiring to convert it to a composite video out (usually an RCA barrel jack).

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html

The C and Y pins are on the EXT port, as is a ground connection that can be used as a common ground for both C and Y. That guide suggests a capacitor between the C and Y lines; another guide showed two resistors. Not an electrical person, so I don't know if they are equivalent circuits.
Well once I get my Pandora I'll try making the cable. I can ask a electrical engineer if wiring is good and I'll give it a shot. Thanks for pointing out the video C & Y.

Back