Tv Out Frustration

lyrical.licker

Still Fresh
Hi i hope some one can help me .I got the infamous tv out cable for my gp2x and after realizing how useless it actually was, went out and bought a S-video- stereo phono to scart lead to connect it with.
After setting it all up I can only get a black and white picture with sound, I have tried several different tv s but get the same results .I dont have any tv s with S-video so thought the scart option would be best.Can any one help.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there are _two_ different types of S-Video to Phono converter. One will only convert the connection (but the signal remains in SVHS format, so unless your TV supports this it's useless), the other will make use of the composite signal that's also included on the S-Video connector (and this is the one you need).

I stand to be corrected

DialTone posted on Oct 11 2006 at 05:28 PM said:
I'm not 100% sure, but I think there are _two_ different types of S-Video to Phono converter. One will only convert the connection (but the signal remains in SVHS format, so unless your TV supports this it's useless), the other will make use of the composite signal that's also included on the S-Video connector (and this is the one you need).

I stand to be corrected

I have solved the problem for me.
Look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video and scroll to "Connector" and look at the picture.
I have connect pin 1 and 2 with a conductor
and the other side of the hosiden wire I connect pin 3-4 with it.

After u enable tv-out you have to disconnect (slowly and only a tick)
and connect again the yellow Composite video wire.

Also check out other/better cable.
(hope you can understand ;) )
greetings Haujobb

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem you have is the same as I've had on these convertors.

You are only getting luminance through to the tv - hence only a brightness value (so looks black & white).

The chrominance contains the colour information.

People seem to have had some luck just by shorting the L & C connectors together - apparently there _should_ be a capacitor between them (47pF typically I think).

Haven't tried this myself - but do need to(!)

Report back with your success or smoking-tv story :)

Hi guys thanx for your replies. I have managed to get it working, after playing around with my tv discovered that through the scart lead still being connected I had a channel named AV2S that produced the display in color.I wish they would give more thought to their european market though as Scart is the standard over here not the inferior S-VIDEO.

lyrical.licker posted on Oct 12 2006 at 08:04 PM said:
Hi guys thanx for your replies. I have managed to get it working, after playing around with my tv discovered that through the scart lead still being connected I had a channel named AV2S that produced the display in color.I wish they would give more thought to their european market though as Scart is the standard over here not the inferior S-VIDEO.

Scart is pretty useless for such a cable, as most SCART connectors break after a few times plugging / unplugging.

If you want SCART, simply get a small adapter, does cost about 1 Euro ;)

Last edited:
Back