Tv-out Problem

crimsonnight

Hi,

The cable I ordered to connect the GP2X TV-OUT cable to my PAL (UK) TV arrived today but I seem to be having some problems with it although its probably due to my ignorance :p Here is what the second cable looks like http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...iteria=criteria. So I have connected them together fine with absolutely no problems and connected it to my TV and changed the chanel to AV. Now when I turn on my GP2X (which is loaded with firmware 2.0) the TV screen flickers briefly from black and my start-up sound plays through the TV's speakers. The TV flickers again when the green loading screen appears on my GP2X but apart from that it is constantly black... So I found no option in Gmenu2X to switch TV-OUT on so I exited that and selected the TV-OUT option from the normal settings menu and that only made the GP2X's screen go black as well with absolutely no change to the black TV screen; I have tested this on two TVs, both with the same result :( Can someone please help me?

The DVD is probably RGB.

In your TV do you have a setting to switch between RGB, Composite and SVHS for its SCART inputs or only RGB and Composite?

Not all TVs support SVHS, and those that do support it through different connections eg. in mine Scart 1 is RGB, Scart 2 is SVHS.

Check the TV manual - it will have all the details.

The DVD is probably RGB.

In your TV do you have a setting to switch between RGB, Composite and SVHS for its SCART inputs or only RGB and Composite?

Not all TVs support SVHS, and those that do support it through different connections eg. in mine Scart 1 is RGB, Scart 2 is SVHS.

Check the TV manual - it will have all the details.

Im pretty sure my TV doesnt have an SVHS setting; well if it does I can't find it... where do i go from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
SVideo is somewhat compatible with composite and it's fairly trivial to convert (eg. http://circuits.epanorama.net/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html, or QM52G at Maplin).

OTOH you *should* get at least a black and white picture if you connect an SVideo signal to a composite port. You're getting nothing, which suggests either your TV is expecting RGB only for some reason (make sure your TV is set to autodetect), or there is some other problem.

SVideo is somewhat compatible with composite and it's fairly trivial to convert (eg. http://circuits.epanorama.net/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html, or QM52G at Maplin).

OTOH you *should* get at least a black and white picture if you connect an SVideo signal to a composite port. You're getting nothing, which suggests either your TV is expecting RGB only for some reason (make sure your TV is set to autodetect), or there is some other problem.

OK, I have now tried on 7 different TVs and none of them work, even in black and white... there has to be something wrong, maybe its from the GP2X side?

Well my TV is different and uses the RCA type of connections. So i bought the RCA adapter, which has the SVIDEO Port, as well as the red and white cable ports. And it worked fine that way.

Make sure the cables you get are long enough though, heh I used the SVIDEO extension cable that came with my Radeon X1300 and that worked fine. AS for the red and white cables, I had them lying around so I don't know how much they would cost.

Well my TV is different and uses the RCA type of connections. So i bought the RCA adapter, which has the SVIDEO Port, as well as the red and white cable ports. And it worked fine that way.

Make sure the cables you get are long enough though, heh I used the SVIDEO extension cable that came with my Radeon X1300 and that worked fine. AS for the red and white cables, I had them lying around so I don't know how much they would cost.

I dont want to buy any more cables (as I have already spent around £25.00 on them :( ) especially at the risk of them not working as well... I have a feeling that the problem might be from the GP2X's side anyway cause the sound still comes out the TV (so the cable isnt faulty)... can anyone else please help me?

I dont want to buy any more cables (as I have already spent around £25.00 on them :( ) especially at the risk of them not working as well... I have a feeling that the problem might be from the GP2X's side anyway cause the sound still comes out the TV (so the cable isnt faulty)... can anyone else please help me?

I know this sounds simplistic, but I didnt see anyone mention it thus far.

You did enable TVout in the menu right? You know, goto settings/Tvout/and choose NTSC/PAL etc, etc.
If you didnt. you'll still get sound but no picture.

Just hoping it was something this simple got overlooked. :)

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed you did answer this one.

I know this sounds simplistic, but I didnt see anyone mention it thus far.

You did enable TVout in the menu right? You know, goto settings/Tvout/and choose NTSC/PAL etc, etc.
If you didnt. you'll still get sound but no picture.

Just hoping it was something this simple got overlooked. :)

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed you did answer this one.

Yeah, as u found out I did (ty for trying to help anyway btw :) ) when I select TV out mode my GP2X screen just goes black and nothing happens on the TV... :(

Make sure the plugs are firmly inserted, this may also sound dumb, but it fixed my problem. I was like WTF, and then I checked the connections, and pushed one of the cables a little more, and bam I got a signal on the TV.

The reason for the black screen is because the connection is not set up correctly (loose or wrong cables etc.)
So the black screen is normal, and I doubt your GP2X is faulty. Most likely it's the cables your using or the way you set them up.

Go to a store where they let you try out the cables, and bring your GP2X , and try it there. Or some stores like radioshack let you return the cables without any problems (well the 1 by my house lol).

Back