TV-out : which emulators do work ?

BAFelton

Website
www.open-consoles.com
EDIT with new emulators

Hi there.

Just finished my tv-cable (composite) and here's a list of working and non-working emulators.

Tests with :

- Pandora Rebirth 512Mo

- SuperZaxxon Final Kernel 3.2

- Composite Cable

Working :

- Apple 2

- Atari 800/5200

- Atari ST : Hatari

- Colecovision : Coleco

- Commodore 64 : VICE

- DosBox EX v8

- DosBox

- MSX : PandoraMSX

- Nintendo GB/GBA : VisualBoyAdvance

- Nintendo NES : NesEmu

- Nintendo NES : gpfce

- Nintendo 64 : Mupen64

- PC-Engine : Hugo

- Qemu

- SamCoupe

- Spectrum : Fuse

- Thomson : TO8D Emulator

- Vectrex

Working in HW Scaler :

- Amiga : UAE4All

- Arcade : PanMame

- Arcade : Mame4All ( see here : http://boards.openpa...rk/page__st__20 )

- Arcade LaserDisc : Daphne

- Arcade : FinalBurnAlpha

- GINGE

- NeoGeo : GnGeo

- Nintendo GameBoy : OhBoy

- Nintendo SNES : SNES9x4p

- Picodrive

- Playstation : PCSXRearmed

- Sega Master System : Dega

- Temper

Working with old kernel:

Working with old kernel and HW Scaler:

- GBA : GpSP

- Mednafen

Non Working :

- GameBoy : Gnuboy

- GameBoy : GnGB

https://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=UUqLnCAcGk9R-R-xJ6gXwasA

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, just tried it but I have a black screen with the overlay option.

It's a composite cable, do I need a compositor cause I didn't solder it.

Slaeshjag said here we don't need them anymore.

You don't need a capacitor any more. Even if you did need one you wouldn't get a blank screen, you would get black and white video output.

Most of them work fine on tv actually. But GnGeo refuses to start for me when the tv out is on. I dont understand why and its very disappointing not be able to play neo geo games on a big screen.

Tried on beta 5a and Final on two pandoras and I have the same problem. I have sound, but not picture.

All the codecs are installed. Didn't change anything special I think.

Encoding : Pal

Connection : composite

Layer : main layer

Enable tv out : quote

Position X : 35 , Y : 35

Size : 658*520

If i quote HW scaler/overlay and write settings, I have a black screen on the tv but the pandora screen works.

In this mode, if I launch an emulator (picodrive...) nothing happens. They don't launch at all.

I have some others EXT connectors, going to try another.

Most of them work fine on tv actually. But GnGeo refuses to start for me when the tv out is on. I dont understand why and its very disappointing not be able to play neo geo games on a big screen.
It's using old version of SDL library, you might want to try asking the author to update it or remove it (so that system one is used), it shoud not take him more than 5 minutes to do it.

It's using old version of SDL library, you might want to try asking the author to update it or remove it (so that system one is used), it shoud not take him more than 5 minutes to do it.

Thanks ! I just dropped him a message. Hopefully he will answer.

I wouldn't think it would be the cable.. If you see it in regular mode I would think it would work.

Have you tried changing your TV out settings with the new XFCE Tray tool and selecting "PAL, HW Scaler" in the TV out section?

I found the system tray to be more convenient and easier to use..

Yep, even tried with the minimenu :(

That's weird. Tried with 2 different connectors (but same cable), 2 different pandoras (rebirth,batch1), 2 different tvs (sony, samsung)

Always the same : Main layer works (PAL ok, B&W on NTSC), but black screen on HW Scaler (PAL&NTSC).

Always the same : Main layer works (PAL ok, B&W on NTSC), but black screen on HW Scaler (PAL&NTSC).
I'm not sure you are aware, but HW Scaler is actually supposed to show blank screen when enabled; only when you start a video player or emulator that uses the overlay, it should start displaying on the TV.

I'm not sure you are aware, but HW Scaler is actually supposed to show blank screen when enabled; only when you start a video player or emulator that uses the overlay, it should start displaying on the TV.

Eh this is it ! Thanks !

In fact the only emulator I tried in HW Scaler mode was Picodrive (I assumed it should work) and it doesn't work for me.

Nothing happens when I launch it in HW Scaler mode.

The others work (PCSX, FBA, Daphne, UAE4all) but Mame4all (knew this).

I had this same problem with PicoDrive not launching while HW Scaler/Overlay Mode was enabeled (Running SuperZaxxon Beta 5a). To get around this, hold the right shoulder button when you turn on the Pandora and choose to boot to the old Kernel (2.6.27, I believe). The TV-Out quality will be a bit lower when in the older kernel, but PicoDrive should launch just fine while in HW Scaler/Overlay Mode.

Coincidentally, this is also how I got my USB gamepads to work with the Pandora...they don't work with the newer kernel for some reason.

Hey !! That did the trick ! Thanks !!

Played Sonic, it's not as smooth as it should be but really playable.

I'll edit my first post with the working and non-working emulators I found.

Sorry for little offtopic, but does daphne work correctly for you with the newest firmware?

Back