Tv Out With Panodra Folded Closed

kingoddball

Hi,

I'm sure it has been answered, I just don't think I have seen this anywhere, yet.

Can the TV OUT cable be used for audio, too?

Now the main question: Can I use the TV OUT to stream to TV while the Pandora is folded CLOSED..

Can I chose to turn on the Panda's LCD while the TV OUT is plugged in AND can I choose to have both running? (Like laptop (fn + lcd key).

Off topic: Will OP ever release a little Remote Control for the Pandora?
I do understand there is no iR port, but maybe there is a little
bluetooth_logo_147x88.gif
remote that could be linked to the Panda, like the way the PS3 does it..

Something easy and simple like the ZX1 remote (except not iR like this one) -

camera-Kodak-1402486.jpg

kingoddball said:
Can the TV OUT cable be used for audio, too?

Now the main question: Can I use the TV OUT to stream to TV while the Pandora is folded CLOSED..
Yes to both :)

Can I chose to turn on the Panda's LCD while the TV OUT is plugged in AND can I choose to have both running? (Like laptop (fn + lcd key).
I think yes. Wasn't there a vid and a discussion about delay or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
theres lots of bluetooth remote controls on ebay for around $15, it would be pointless for op to make their own. Even a wiimote would do.

Wiimote would be great, since, that's the only bluetooth remote I have except my PS3 controller.

greendots said:
theres lots of bluetooth remote controls on ebay for around $15, it would be pointless for op to make their own. Even a wiimote would do.

It's the same as OP selling cases, why? I'm sure the Pandora can and will fit into many Nintendo DS cases, they even have cartridge (SD similar) slots. Why not just buy one of them instead of an official one?

I would prefer a supported official remote if OP released one (I also want the OP Logo - Which is mostly why I purchased the TV out cable!).

Cheap after market lines are generally not very good (speaking from PS3 experience) - I would like the remote to be able to turn the system on and off (or on and standby)....

It seems like a good idea. Could be wrong :pandora2ut4:

Oh Wow! I never thought of using a wiimote!

I can just imagine this thing sitting infront of a TV, plugged in of course, and using a wiimote to navigate as a mouse!

On a side note couldn't you link the wiimote via bluetooth and set the wiimote infront of the tv pointing at you. And then use a IR remote? :p

You still need to power the sensor bar though. Or you could use two candles. :lol:

It's pretty interesting, I didn't know the Wiimote worked only by just sensing the IR leds from the sensor bar, though it was a more complicated system. Well I should've known, since the method is very similar to NES Zapper (and I suppose Super Scope too) worked.

The wiimote also has an accelerometer inbuilt.
You can use it with Zod's N64 emulator on iPhone..

You can also navigate around Google Earth with the wiimote alone. You do not *exactly* need the iR bar.
All good and fun without it.

I want a REmote, not a WIImote B) ;)

I've used the Wiimote as a mouse under Linux with just the accelerometer data for positioning. It was a little clumsy and slow, but it worked fine as an "air mouse." The drivers and GUI for setting up the wiimote shouldn't be too difficult even if they're not in the Angstrom repositories.

i was thinking about something, for local emulation at home, of bigger systems, lik wii, ps2 and such.

would it be possible, to write a graphics plugin for an emu, say dolphin (gc/wii), and make that send the gfx instructions, over wifi/network.

then a client will be running on the panda, that draws the image... no pixel to pixel streaming needed.

Yoyobuae said:
You still need to power the sensor bar though. Or you could use two candles. :lol:

It's pretty interesting, I didn't know the Wiimote worked only by just sensing the IR leds from the sensor bar, though it was a more complicated system. Well I should've known, since the method is very similar to NES Zapper (and I suppose Super Scope too) worked.

I was just going to correct you about the sensor bar, but you ninja edited. You can make a wireless sensor by taking apart some cheap remotes and hooking the IR bulbs to the battery and an on/off switch.

The Super Scope did work on the same principle, but the Zapper worked on a completely different one. When the trigger of the Zapper was pulled, the whole screen went black except for the targets, which went white. The game just checked if the Zapper's sensor saw white or black. That's why pointing into a light bulb worked.

And yes, you should be able to use a Wii Remote hooked up via BT as a sensor for a normal remote. You would need a program to interpret the remote codes, though.

GizmoTheGreen said:
heres a though, mod one led on each side of the lcd, to be an IR, there, bam, sensorbar for the wiimote

That's a really cool idea!

Do you need iR LED's or iR receiver? (which are about double the size or normal iR LED's and have 3 pins/wires, not just 2).
My guess would be receiver iR's ;) and the Wiimote would have the output LED's :ph34r:

Need two IR LEDs (emitters). I mean look at the link on my previous post. I'm sure the candles are not IR receivers. :lol:

@Rathum: Yeah, I realized I wasn't sure how Wiimote worked, so I read Wikipedia and noticed that I was wrong.

Yeah, the NES Zapper is a bit different. But it's still a similar principle of putting the sensor on the gun, and using light/IR sources as the targets/reference points.

Also to build a sensor bar, why not just buy the IR LEDs at a Radio Shack or similar electronics shop? Get the LEDs and a few resistors (value depends on the voltage source used), hook them on series and it should work nicely.

I wonder just how fast is the Wiimotes sensor, it might be the case it can't properly sense a remote control's signal sequence.

the "sensor bar" is just an IR source afaik, you can use a couple of candles for what it's worth (or buy one of the wireless aftermarket bars), the Wiimote just needs a couple of IR sources a distance apart as reference in order to know where its pointed, then it sends that data to the Wii, no reason why the Pandora couldn't use that data.

edit: has anyone noticed the ungodly amount of ninjas around here?, the forums have got really busy since the green light was given :ph34r:

Yoyobuae said:
Also to build a sensor bar, why not just buy the IR LEDs at a Radio Shack or similar electronics shop? Get the LEDs and a few resistors (value depends on the voltage source used), hook them on series and it should work nicely.
if you hook them up in series you won't be able to light them unless you have like a 12v source (remember each LED creates a drop in voltage (most are around 3v) so if you have 4 LEDs (2 on each side to help angle - 3 on each side would be better (and is what the real sensor bar uses)) you're gonna have to have a big v+. Really you should hook them up in parallel - the voltage doesn't matter as long as it's higher than the LED drop. I use a 4 AA as my power source (1.5 * 4 = 6v). The resistor will take care of the rest. Also don't be dumb and parallel into a single resistor on V+, your LEDs will burn out way faster. LED's are not created equal, and the one with the lowest voltage drop will get more power and then burn out. Use a separate resistor per LED.

Nope, you don't need a sensor bar if you have the motionplus addon. I've hacked together a plugin to use a motionplus-enhanced wiimote as a quite accurate air mouse for cwiid. I haven't gotten around to releasing it yet, but anyone interested can give me a call.

B-ZaR said:
Nope, you don't need a sensor bar if you have the motionplus addon. I've hacked together a plugin to use a motionplus-enhanced wiimote as a quite accurate air mouse for cwiid. I haven't gotten around to releasing it yet, but anyone interested can give me a call.
You don't need the sensor bar even without the motionplus. It provides different functionality than the accelerometer (though it can be used to correct coordinates in 3d space if you assume that the sensor bar is horizontal).

f you've been working on wiimote stuff you should know that the wiimote can be in different modes, you can't even have full IR data reporting and extensions (motionplus F.E.) on at the same time, there's not enough room in the packets.

Yoyobuae said:
Need two IR LEDs (emitters). I mean look at the link on my previous post. I'm sure the candles are not IR receivers. :lol:

@Rathum: Yeah, I realized I wasn't sure how Wiimote worked, so I read Wikipedia and noticed that I was wrong.

Yeah, the NES Zapper is a bit different. But it's still a similar principle of putting the sensor on the gun, and using light/IR sources as the targets/reference points.

I wonder just how fast is the Wiimotes sensor, it might be the case it can't properly sense a remote control's signal sequence.

It's much easier to convert a cheap remote into into an IR emitter than it is to make one yourself. Hell, you don't even have to open up the remote. Just weigh down one of the buttons.

Back