Tvout Resolution With Open2x Prebuilt Lib

JyCet

Website
Visit site
Hi all!

I didnt find any place to report my pb with open2x lib use, so I post here I hope Open2x team will read it ;)

I've added on option in one program to choose differente resolution in TV mode:
-option 1 (original):
TVout resolution 720*576 (for pal mode detection)
TVout resolution 720*480 (for ntsc mode detection)
-option 2 (zoom x2):
TVout resolution 360*288 (for pal mode detection)
TVout resolution 360*240 (for ntsc mode detection)
-option 3 (fullscreen but awful driver scalling)
TVout resolution 320*240 (for pal mode detection)
TVout resolution 320*240 (for ntsc mode detection)

The problem is in fullscreen option there is no horizontal sync (i think).
For the surface initialisation I use this line:
screen_front = SDL_SetVideoMode(wide, height, 16, SDL_HWSURFACE );
So for wide=320 and height=240 in tv mode it doesn't work for me :( , all other resolution work fine !
When I'm in LCD mode I use wide=320 and height=240 and it work fine too.

I use Open2x Prebuilt Library Packages for DevKitGP2X (sdl 1.2.9).
I have tested with beta lib sdl 1.2.11 it's the same result.

:ph34r:

im doing hwsurface with 16bpp. dont forget overscan, you wont get the full 360x288 / 360x240 etc

I have to take 15% off width and 12% off height for it to be ok on my tv.

im using open2x built myself from svn

Shadowsithe said:
freak (snes)
no! not freak! they're beautiful. :ph34r:

you may already know this but i feel like babbling.

tv screens have a discrete vertical resolution (525 scanlines minus the overscan) but not horizontal. you can have any horiz resolution you want on a tv up to a certain point. when you pass that point, detail that varies in the horizontal domain (alternating black and white vertical lines) start to blur. and as you approach this point with images of high contrast, interesting things start to happen (see?). likewise, if the gun only has to fire once in a that line, you can control its placement accurately. but if the firing for that line keeps changing, the maximum rate is determined by the bandwidth of the carrier signal + quality of tv.

color tvs do have an effectively discrete horizontal resolution, because the phosphors are organized into fixed triads -- if the gun deviates, the color will shift. a good b&w crt will be much smoother looking close up. XY monitors have this smooth analog quality in both dimensions.

incidentally, the snes horizontal resolution is actually lower than the genesis by a little bit, but they both display at the same width (1 scanline = 1 scanline).

Last edited by a moderator:
Shadowsithe said:
Shouldn't 320x240 look best as it's the native resolution? Would support for the freak (snes) resolutions be doable?
no on high definition tv you see the bad scalling to resize 320*240 to your standard dvd resolution, but some people dont see the pb on "classical"TV and prefere "full screen" , that's why I wanted to add the choice in option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under the impression that virtual console titles looked so nice on HDTVs was because the Wii outputs at native resolutions for the respective consoles. I assumed this would pretty much hold true to the GP2X.

Also, would it be possible to output in resolutions like say... 380x224 so we wouldn't have to scale CPS-2 games?

Back