Two Spriters Looking For A Programmer

Kyo

Website
Visit site
Hello Gentlemen and Ladies!

I and a friend of mine are both... involved in pixel art. However, my friend lacks programming knowledge of any kind, and my C knowledge is just basic. None the less do we want to make games for the pandora, so what we're searching for is a programmer who will develop games with us. I have also had experience in rom hacking, so I know the basics of how games work :p

Anyway, here are some examples of our work (it's mixed, some is mine, some is his.):

linked because of image limit:
http://wocares.com/images.htm

Please post if you're interested!

I might be working on an RPG-style adventure in Novashell. I've always loved a game with a good story, and I've got a story that might work. :)

"Might" is the key word here: if you get any other offers first, don't wait for my project.

Kyosys said:
Hello Gentlemen and Ladies!

I and a friend of mine are both... involved in pixel art. However, my friend lacks programming knowledge of any kind, and my C knowledge is just basic. None the less do we want to make games for the pandora, so what we're searching for is a programmer who will develop games with us. I have also had experience in rom hacking, so I know the basics of how games work :p

Anyway, here are some examples of our work (it's mixed, some is mine, some is his.):

linked because of image limit:
http://wocares.com/images.htm

Please post if you're interested!

What kind of games are you interested in? And Are you still looking for some coder? I code in c/c++ using SDL, made some crap which you can't yet call a game but i want to work on something with original graphics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we're not too picky. Obviously we're not the right persons for first person shooters, but we would go for a jump and run, rpg or something like that

it's not perfect, but it is indeed a very nice basic engine there. I'll talk to my partner about it. Note that we would prefer to also be involved in designing the game, not just making the graphics

If you have something already in mind, I wouldn't be averse to helping out. Being the "primary" coder might not be possible, though, because that takes a lot of time and dedication. I can do C, SDL, etc. but I hate having to write programs around pre-set graphics (like other people's clipart libraries etc.), so having "proper" artists who can cater to the needs of the program is much better than shoe-horning existing graphics into a half-written engine because you have nothing else.

2D, sprite-based, no problem at all. That's my sort of game. Or a puzzle game, but they tend to be a bit simplistic on the graphics anyway.

I don't know why but the picture of the houses at the bottom of your examples has started me thinking about an Incredible Machine clone... seems like that would be a good project for an artist - lots of different objects, various states of animation, etc.

Maybe you two make a game design of some sort, like "We want to do an RPG, with that and that mood, this is the story, here are some quests, drawings of the main character, ..."
Unless you have at least _something_, your request is too vague to get a project started, let alone find a coder.

I am returning form student apartment to home on 4th of July. Then I can work on coding some real stuff. Until then, I am ready to exchange any kind of design and ideas.
Kyosys: i gave my e-mail via PM

Dimacus, then you are halfway there where I intend to go. I want to develop something combat oriented, and fairly tactical.

Thanks for all the interest and feedback, guys. I'll discuss everything with my friend, and then give you a proper response

ati said:
I am not picky either. My plan is to make something, kind of Final Fantasy style.
This is what I achieved in a couple of months:
source + linux binary: http://www.students.itu.edu.tr/~filizat/YN/chrono+.zip
vindoze binary: http://www.students.itu.edu.tr/~filizat/YN/chrono-win.zip

Also a friend of mine("canavar", developer of termula2x) made a gp2x port but it is not online at the moment(www server problems).

hi!

here is the port .
by the way good luck for your great project!!!

Ok, we had a talk and have come to the conclusion that we can't come up with a good story for an RPG, so we settled for a jump and run. Here is an extremely shrunk version of our conversation to give you a rough idea of what we had in mind:

1: I was thinking
1: maybe a jump and run?
2: yes
1: what should the story be?
2: well, it should be about a guy, who is a door to door salesman for insurances!
1: he could hit his enemies with a suitcase
2: and shoot lasers
1: and insurances lying around are laser-energy, 1 paper = 2 seconds of eye laser
1: suitcases could be lifebar ups and money is a 1up
1:
1: and money is a 1up
1: what should the enviroment look like?
2: like, a street with houses
1: yeah
2: and a street with houses in a forest
1: ...lol
[...]
1: powerups and coins could be in suitcases
1: and from hitting enemies with your suitcase
1: he should also be able to perform some sort of suitcase-spin
1: the enemies should be angry people with lots of back hair and baseball bats/pipes
1: what else?
[...]
1: I was thinking of evil children
2: YES
2: fundraising children who steal your money
1: YES

Since nobody has replied yet, I'm going to try to get your attention by presenting you some sprites we made:

protagonistow9.png

Looks cool. Right now I'm VERY busy, but I should be mostly free this summer. If I do end up with a lot of time on my hands, I'll make a mockup in python with pyglet.

Kyosys said:
I'd love to see that mockup!

In the meantime, an animation of the protagonist walking:

walkwt1.gif
hey

If you want to improve your pixels I advise ya post it at the pixelations forum.

There are quite a few issues with your animation that could be improved that I could mention if you like? I thought I'd ask incase ya don't wanna know or something, hehe.

cya

Back