Uae2x 0.1alpha Wip

gaterooze posted on Oct 14 2006 at 09:12 AM said:
Perhaps this?

Roms.-.Commodore.Amiga.-.Demos.-.Packs.(TOSEC-v2004-12-12).MarcoM.Faby_Amighista.MCSTeam.rar

2.17gb

Yeah I will try that. For some reason I think of P2P to always mean Pirate2Pirate and forget that there is legal stuff there too :p

Last edited by a moderator:
gnostic this emulator is very good, its still not fullspeed yet, but its a good step.

as i wrote on the gp32x.de archive, i find the menu navigation hard though.

i have figured it out, i just got initially confused because not all settings in for preferences could be toggled, and also because i moved the cursor out of alignment with the icons :)

Great release. Maybe you and critical should coordinate your efforts to perfect Amiga emulation on the GP2X?

Tootai posted on Oct 16 2006 at 06:27 PM said:
Great release. Maybe you and critical should coordinate your efforts to perfect Amiga emulation on the GP2X?
Well, I'm still keen to see the source ;)

critical posted on Oct 17 2006 at 11:18 AM said:
it would be sweet if you two could collaborate, having a working amiga emulator could bring in alot of donations, i for one sure would donate, and i know more amiga users who would too. it would make the gp2x attractive for a number of more people :)

Redeeman posted on Oct 17 2006 at 10:32 AM said:
it would be sweet if you two could collaborate, having a working amiga emulator could bring in alot of donations, i for one sure would donate, and i know more amiga users who would too. it would make the gp2x attractive for a number of more people :)

So why not donate now? :)

Iorgy77 posted on Oct 17 2006 at 01:24 PM said:
Redeeman posted on Oct 17 2006 at 10:32 AM said:

So why not donate now? :)
in fact, i mailed critical about that.

as it is now, neither uae4allgp2x or this on is at a stage where its usable for me, and critical doesent have much time on his hands, so cant garantuee he has time to work on it.

that may not be with gnostic however, and if gnostic can assure me he will work on this, then yes, i will by all means donate now.

Wow - Just wanted to say "Thanks" for such an impressive release! I'm actually playing games at near full speed now which blows my mind. I wasn't sure I'd ever see it. I can't wait to see what's in store in the near future.

Nice touch on the UI - What a dream, to be using an Amiga in the palm of my hand. I'm actually on vacation with my GP2X right now, playing some of my old Amiga favorites.

My GP2X only overclocks to 250 MHz so I can't use your tweak script because it crashes my machine. Instead I use my frontend to start UAE2X at the 250 MHz setting. I look forward to the tweaks menu having some presets for different machine speeds, once you get it working.

There are a bunch of us that are absolutely thrilled over your work so far, Gnostic. Keep up the great work! I'm curious, what's ahead as you approach your next release? Are there further code optimizations in the works?

Mac

critical posted on Oct 17 2006 at 09:18 AM said:

As a coder familiar with Amiga emus do you think the same dual core setup used in Picodrive can be used to speed up Amiga emulation?

Picodrive uses the second core for sound emulation. I am not sure the scope of the second cores' use. I don't know if the DAC, YM, FM and Z80 are all offloaded to the second core or just part and which part. I would think that the Megadrive's sound chips are more complex to emulate than the Amiga's simple 4-channel 8-bit DACs though.

Is this true or am I missing something?

it may be possible to do some of the custom chips functionality on the 940, those are whats really hard to emulate from the amiga, aga can do alot of dirty magic, which is expensive to emulate on a device like the gp2x, using chunky graphics.

just a quick status report:
frankly, i couldn't spare enough time nowadays to release a new version as my wife will have a surgery this friday and tests and morale support consumes lotsa time..

current status:
i've added savestate, aga, 68020, a new 68000 core etc etc but i get segmentation faults now and then..
this new features brings more compatibility and more compatilibity means slower emulation.. but we had to do this merging (with winuae) sooner or later anyway.. once we have a solid emulation base, we'll hopefully do dualcpu, asm 68k core etc etc..

i can't promise anything now but i plan to release a wip2 (+source), at least in it's current state this weekend..

p.s.:
hail to Iorgy77 for the donation, thanks man.

DaveC posted on Oct 18 2006 at 05:47 AM said:
As a coder familiar with Amiga emus do you think the same dual core setup used in Picodrive can be used to speed up Amiga emulation?
uae creates a events schedule and each "chip" has it's own event handler.
i believe we may move some of the handlers to 940..

i'll try notaz idea with uae2x sometime..

GnoStiC posted on Oct 18 2006 at 12:49 PM said:
current status:
i've added savestate, aga, 68020, a new 68000 core etc etc but i get segmentation faults now and then..
this new features brings more compatibility and more compatilibity means slower emulation.. but we had to do this merging (with winuae) sooner or later anyway..

Slower :( Do you think maybe you could have a "fast mode" that uses the old features so that we can have the better speed that now works for some stuff? I would hate to have to give up the speed for the stuff that works now anyway. 99% of games don't use aga or 68020. I doubt anyone will be running lightwave on this. Fast and smoother 68000 emulation is probably more important than slow aga or 68020 emmulation, especially when it slows everything down. Just a thought.

uae has seperate 680x0 opcode tables, so we can do that :)

DaveC posted on Oct 18 2006 at 04:10 PM said:
Slower :( Do you think maybe you could have a "fast mode" that uses the old features so that we can have the better speed that now works for some stuff? I would hate to have to give up the speed for the stuff that works now anyway. 99% of games don't use aga or 68020. I doubt anyone will be running lightwave on this. Fast and smoother 68000 emulation is probably more important than slow aga or 68020 emmulation, especially when it slows everything down. Just a thought.

Cool, this all sounds great, not sure how fast AGA would be but kudos to you for having the courage to attempt it. It is always good to see people pushing the gp2x to the maximum.

Do you think with AGA and 020 support you could add more memory and HDD support? WHDLoad games would be great especially with savestates, Instant on games with minimum loading times would be awesome.

Of course as DaveC said a speedy A500 emulator is important as well. :)

Thanks again for working on this and all the best to your wife for a speedy recovery.

Back