Uae2x 0.1alpha Wip

added savestates (i had no idea they would be so useful)
added hardfile support (don't know if it works yet)
transparent virtual keyboard (looking for a volunteer to draw me a keyboard, i just draw one with paint, it looks bad)

i remember adding some more features, although i can't remember now :}

still optimizing..

Great news, savestates are VERY useful!
Hopefully one of the unremembered features was faster mouse cursor movement ;)

Is there any way you could use the fame core or is the core used in uae2x full of tricks you
drew from your sleeve to make it quick? :)

May I have a look at the keyboard image you are talking about? I am no artist, would just
toy with it a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
ah! yep..
mouse speed and floppy speed are included in the prefs.. :)

fame core is not something i'm planning to add soon..
although as fol told me ric is working on it.. (fol & ric of pspuae)

depending on the stability, i may request their sources.. :)

Stupid question: How is this different from uae4all for the gp2x?
uae2x is based on latest e-uae 0.8.29w3..
i may be wrong but uae4all seems to be based on uae 0.8.22..

uae4all includes fame core, uae2x does not..
uae4all includes several patches/optimizations (they have a year headstart :rolleyes:), uae2x is not yet fully optimized..

uae2x supports savestates, hardfiles etc and seems to be more compatible..

it's best to have both on your SD..

Savestates...thats the kicker. Looking forward to when uae2x catches up to uae4all. Even with their year headstart you seem to be catching them fast. Keep it up!

removed >68000 cores
removed AGA
added savestates (i had no idea they would be so useful)
added hardfile support (don't know if it works yet)
transparent virtual keyboard (looking for a volunteer to draw me a keyboard, i just draw one with paint, it looks bad)

i remember adding some more features, although i can't remember now :}

still optimizing..

Is there a way that you can an option to have the keyboard so that it would fit under the screen in the 40 unused pixel space for games that were mostly 320 x 200? That wouldn't work for PAL games but a huge amount were NTSC res anyway.

Looking forward to when uae2x catches up to uae4all. Even with their year headstart you seem to be catching them fast. Keep it up!
It's great to hear that things are progressing with this.

The notion of uae4all having a "head start" is something of an inaccuracy - the source to uae4all has always been available for all to use, and uae2x does use some of it, along with most of e-uae. It's great that this is happening in the area of Amiga emulation on the GP2X - it certainly stimulates interest ;)

It's good to hear that pspuae might take FAME/C, as its performance is nothing special at the moment - I was rather surprised and disappointed when I tried it... it feels like both uae2x and uae4all gp2x run faster than pspuae. The UI's very nice, of course.

It's good to hear that pspuae might take FAME/C, as its performance is nothing special at the moment - I was rather surprised and disappointed when I tried it... it feels like both uae2x and uae4all gp2x run faster than pspuae. The UI's very nice, of course.

i tried 0.6.2 yesterday and is it me or is this fame version skips more frames than before?
(note: i just tried only one demo)

i don't have a psp so i wouldn't know if gp2x uaes are faster than pspuae.. but i always thought as they have 333 mhz cpu and 3d chip (thus they could use hardware line, hw blitter etc), pspuae would be faster..

i read their forum some time ago and i remember them mentioning uae4all port for psp is not faster than pspuae.. (i believe this to be false as uae4all has quite optimized custom chips emulation)

gp2x amiga emulation rules! :D

Hi GnostiC, i'm impatient for your UAE2x with savestates! :D when do you think you will release the version with this great addition?

GnoStiC posted on Oct 13 2006 at 03:56 PM said:
and i'll test jesus on e's and make it work :)

good luck with that, it doesn't work properly on the latest version of WinUAE - it goes out of sync quite badly.

did you try latest with winuae 1.3.3?
my copy seems to work fine (with cycle-exact cpu and blitter enabled)..
there is only a very small latency because of the sound buffer but it is quite synced..

did you try latest with winuae 1.3.3?
my copy seems to work fine (with cycle-exact cpu and blitter enabled)..
there is only a very small latency because of the sound buffer but it is quite synced..

yeah, I've got a custom script watching WinUAE release annoucements like a hawk so I always get the latest version fresh on the day of release :)
You say yours is working but let it run for a minute or 2! On first inspection it appears to run, I bought the original from 17 bit PD library and remember it well, it has all these lyrics and stuff that pop up in sync with the mod music. No matter what I do, the demo loses timing and the words pop up out of sequence. Sure the demo will start, but it won't play like the Amiga on WinUAE at least not with my copies (from TOSEC). Give it a minute or so and it starts going all over the place.
oh yeah and I'm not talking about sound buffer latency btw - i mean whole chunks of demo are timed totally incorrectly. Shame because the part with the muppets singing to breakbeats was a great moment in the history of demos and all the subliminal pop up pictures of wheelchair badges and chavs on skateboards I thoroughly enjoyed as a younger man.

i tried the demo again;
winuae 1.3.3 (my uae conf is here: http://gnostic.lryiu.com/default.uae)

after the lyric at the beginning, next ones are 3,4 and 6 minutes later and they all are synced..
i didn't have a contact from lsd, and i remember getting my copy from a swapper from germany back in the early 90s.. :)

and thanks for the info, i'll see if uae2x sound syncs with lyrics..

You say yours is working but let it run for a minute or 2! On first inspection it appears to run, I bought the original from 17 bit PD library and remember it well, it has all these lyrics and stuff that pop up in sync with the mod music. No matter what I do, the demo loses timing and the words pop up out of sequence. Sure the demo will start, but it won't play like the Amiga on WinUAE at least not with my copies (from TOSEC). Give it a minute or so and it starts going all over the place.

first of all thanks for your e-mails about uae2x..

quick status report; i'm still working on uae2x..

don't worry two of our best agents in the field; ED and techfreak tests the experimental nightly builds now and then and report bugs.. :)

but as i have a 24hours job, (i'm a sysadmin and we have lotsa linux servers and many clients) i can't spare as much time as i wish..

and there is a magic convention in 10 days, which i'm supposed to participate.. (i'm a member of international brotherhood of magicians)

and there is a scene party in a month (7d6), for which i have one demo ready but i want to code one more..

thanks..

http://gnostic.lryiu.com/gp2x/uae2x-preWIP2.rar

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL RELEASE!

i've modified so many things that now i want to make sure that emulation works as it should.. (with your valuable feedback)

* this pre-wip2 does not have sound (as i'm trying to seperate some of the drawing and sound code so that i can use second core)
* vol -/+ is framerate.. default is 1 (= frameskip 0)
* cpu/chipset/cpu speed prefs are disabled and will be removed in next version, but you can change floppy emulation speed, chip/fast/bogo mem size etc..
* savestate is there, if loading a savestate crashes the amiga (not the uae2x), try loading the savestate again
* you have to use uae2x-tweak to adjust your overclock (critical found the reason behind cpu overclock crash, next version will work fine :)
* does not use fame/c (thanks to ric/fol/horace/thinkp @ pspuae, they have send a me copy of their alpha fame core, i'll switch to it when i'm done with the optimizations i'm planning)
* tried to be http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Common_User_Inte...Recommendations compatible..

this version may work great or may not work at all for you.. keep in mind that this is a wip.. thank you for your time..

I have tried copying over thi new version to my SD card a couple of times and I just get a black screen, doesnt even go to the menu.

Anyone else had any problems?

http://gnostic.lryiu.com/gp2x/uae2x-preWIP2.rar

* does not use fame/c (thanks to ric/fol/horace/thinkp @ pspuae, they have send a me copy of their alpha fame core, i'll switch to it when i'm done with the optimizations i'm planning)

Do you think it would be better to use some sort of ASM core like Cyclone? Surely that would be loads faster than a C core wouldn't it?

Why, you got a good one handy?

Cyclone will not work reliably enough with UAE.

I have tried copying over thi new version to my SD card a couple of times and I just get a black screen, doesnt even go to the menu.

Anyone else had any problems?
hmm.. weird.. anybody else having the same probelm?

btw, i forgot to mention.. your kick.rom file should be in the same directory..

Do you think it would be better to use some sort of ASM core like Cyclone? Surely that would be loads faster than a C core wouldn't it?

i sometimes try serious "hacks" and when it fails, i don't wanna wonder if it's me or the cpu core..
so for now, i'll keep uae's own cpu core..

Back