Ubuntu Is Going To Take 1.5 Minutes To Boot On Pandora?

Status
Not open for further replies.

voidedx

Still Fresh
Thanks for posting a video of the boot sequence of Pandora.
It looks like it takes roughly 1.5 minutes to get to the login screen.
Will there be any improvement on the boot time? If so, how good could it get?
My DS has spoiled me. It takes me less than 10 seconds to get into a game. My 4 year old XP laptop takes less than a minute to get to the login screen.

What are the thoughts on this?

i was going to ask the same question.. it seems a little little bit long, but after realizing that pandora is a franken-umpc-console .. it's ok.

This is a full, desktop version of Ubuntu running on a handheld device. Imagine your DS trying to boot Ubuntu. Wouldn't be very fast, would it?

I'm sure people will work on optimizing it. I know that I've had slow boot times into linux due to lack of/bad graphics drivers - once the graphics chip is used, it might speed up booting slightly. In any case, it'll definitely improve.

Ubuntu will NOT be the default os, the default os boots much faster.
Ubuntu is just a test/fun/"because i can" project of notaz, and isnt optimized for the pandora.
Running ubuntu on the pandora really isn't a practical thing to do and theres hardly any reason why you would want to do it apart from the obvious "because i can" one.

Vimacs said:
Ubuntu is just a test/fun/"because i can" project of notaz, and isnt optimized for the pandora.
Running ubuntu on the pandora really isn't a practical thing to do and theres hardly any reason why you would want to do it.
so..the finished pandora will not come with a "desktop"version of linux? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
SpaceNinjaDino said:
Thanks for posting a video of the boot sequence of Pandora.
It looks like it takes roughly 1.5 minutes to get to the login screen.
Will there be any improvement on the boot time? If so, how good could it get?
My DS has spoiled me. It takes me less than 10 seconds to get into a game. My 4 year old XP laptop takes less than a minute to get to the login screen.

What are the thoughts on this?
I'm pretty sure that'll be improved, it's just because that video was probably using a few workarounds or something. The final version will be heavily optimised!

Did this really require a new topic??

Pandora has not even been released yet.. this was just a hack to show it would work. Also it has been said many times that the Pandora should not need to be completely turned off because of the power saving features and long battery life.

And the Ubuntu version that Notaz has drop into the Pandora seems to be the full desktop version.

I don't use to install the full version on my desktop, so I'm not going to install it on a Pandora.

I prefer to do a minimal console install, and then only download the necessary packages using aptitude.

That should optimize the boot time a lot.

Then you can remove unneeded services and kernel modules from bootup to make it even faster.

Vimacs said:
Running ubuntu on the pandora really isn't a practical thing to do and theres hardly any reason why you would want to do it apart from the obvious "because i can" one.
I wasn't in any way stating that it's the final OS. I know that it's using a version of GMenu. I was just saying that there are probably a lot of people in the community who would like to run Ubuntu on their Pandoras, and they will work towards optimizing it and getting boot times (and load times) shorter.

A couple things i took from this.
1. The boot time is long and it appears from the output a swap is even in use.
2. Isnt that screen larger and at higher resolution than we will actually have?
3. This isnt really that new as the beagle board has been running a full gui desktop.
4. Id rather call this pandora running gnome, but thats a mute point.

thebrainwasher said:
so..the finished pandora will not come with a "desktop"version of linux? :(
This has been discussed before, too...No, out of the box when you boot it up, you'll boot something like gmenu2x (gmenupanda?), being a quick graphical shell well suited to do stuff like launch games and so on - As becomes a gaming console.

There is nothing that stops you from launching a desktop environment from said graphical shell, though, or even replace it and install a desktop-ish linux dist. And I'd be very surprised if complete install files for this, together with foolproof instructions, were not available within a week after release, if by chance they aren't on launch day.

I'm going to kill this before it spreads.

What you have seen is NOT the Pandora's version of Linux booting up. The Pandora will NOT use Ubuntu (however, you can use it if you really want to, as Notaz has done).

Please use the already existing topic for further discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back