Ubuntu On Pandora

@Raz probably the one that runs faster and uses less battery.... which I have a strong hunch is Angstrom at least for now anyway... who knows the ubuntu guys could do a 180 and become a lightweight contender crazier stuff has happened

it is pretty likely there will be easy to use version of gentoo... since they are building a binary repo

Lightweight huh....

Gentoo and Arch Linux (is this ARM) should win that one, but Id still not go through the configuration and choose would rather still have Xubuntu (or w/e the popular/most supported one is if xubuntu doesnt work out)

I see we have a lot of choices: CODE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

'lulzfish' said:
Ubuntu probably has far more packages than Angstrom and better support, since Ubuntu is the popular starter OS with all the binaries compiled for it, whereas Angstrom seems to be mostly an ARM system for Pandora and BeagleBoard.

For x86, yes, but Ubuntu on ARM is just starting out. Angstrom has the bigger package here. It's fairly extensive and well tested in the mobile markets already.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Raz' said:
Lightweight huh....

Gentoo and Arch Linux (is this ARM) should win that one, but Id still not go through the configuration and choose would rather still have Xubuntu (or w/e the popular/most supported one is if xubuntu doesnt work out)

I see we have a lot of choices: CODE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions
Honestly it seems like every so and so has their own linux distribution these days. i think thats kind of whats lead to slow linux adoption, this gigantic clusterfuck

'PoisonedV' said:
Honestly it seems like every so and so has their own linux distribution these days. i think thats kind of whats lead to slow linux adoption, this gigantic clusterfuck
Which is why it's so good that everyone talks about Ubuntu. ;) Do you see the merit in it now? DO YOU? :p

Ubuntu is now the Linux equivalent of a gateway drug. Not the best distro, not the best choice for Pandora, but it makes for pretty headlines and wider interest.

Can't wait to see what interesting OSes get ported :D

If I could try them all, I probably would just to have something to do

Haha, very funny.

Archlinux would indeed be great, but as far as I know, they haven't even started an arm-version. Gentoo will make a good alternative for Archlinux.

And I totally agree that Ubuntu is the best distribution for linux newbies that have interest in learning how Linux generally gets administered. A lot of users switch to another distribution later on, but keep part of the ubuntu-community. It yet has to show it's worth for arm, but I'll keep a sd-card for dual-booting it (ubuntu will definatly be more enjoyable from a big sd-card, so having angstrom installed as default is a wise decision.)

'dflemstr' said:
'U.S.Soldier' said:
Windows 7 :) OSX :)

Ehm... I don't know how to say this in a nice way...

No.

... hmm ok that will do.DISCLAIMER: I am wilfully feeding the troll(s).

With cooperation from Apple, OS X might run, since they already ported their kernel to ARM. Still completely useless, I'm just nitpicking.

@conso uuhh you didn't see that forum link... somebody was just working on an arm version

Archlinux has a build script repository that would probably mostly work for arm once the base system was working... and that guy seemed to have it mostly there

'dflemstr' said:
'U.S.Soldier' said:

No.

... hmm ok that will do.

what are you talking about????
I never wanted to have those OS's put into the pandora it was never stated by me.......

@cb88: thx for the info. Would be awesome.

U.S.Soldier: <°)))o><

U.S.Soldier said:
'dflemstr' said:
'U.S.Soldier' said:

No.

... hmm ok that will do.

I never wanted to have those OS's put into the pandora it was never stated by me.......
It was still very off-topic and had nothing to do with the context, then.

'dflemstr' said:
'U.S.Soldier' said:
'dflemstr' said:
'U.S.Soldier' said:

No.

... hmm ok that will do.

It was still very off-topic and had nothing to do with the context, then.

Sue me ...... for just stating something and hoping everyone would have an open mind...... and let possibilities flow it doesnt hurt dude

U.S.Soldier said:
Sue me ...... for just stating something and hoping everyone would have an open mind...... and let possibilities flow it doesnt hurt dude
Open mind? Possibilities?
1. You just said that you did NOT talk about putting those OSs on the pandora, so what possibilities are you talking about?
2. What possibilities would you get even if those two OSs were to run on the Padora? There's no compatible software for them, so do you want to spend your Pandora days with playing Minesweeper? Or maybe use open-source programs that are on the built-in OS anyways?
3. Whatever Linux distro you put on the Pandora, it will always be superior to anything produced by a 3rd-party, since you'll only have the drivers available on the Linux platform and all the applications for the Pandora will be written for Linux anyways.

(and yes, I am on topic, kind of, for those who would feel like complaining)

'dflemstr' said:
'U.S.Soldier' said:
Open mind? Possibilities?
1. You just said that you did NOT talk about putting those OSs on the pandora, so what possibilities are you talking about?
2. What possibilities would you get even if those two OSs were to run on the Padora? There's no compatible software for them, so do you want to spend your Pandora days with playing Minesweeper? Or maybe use open-source programs that are on the built-in OS anyways?
3. Whatever Linux distro you put on the Pandora, it will always be superior to anything produced by a 3rd-party, since you'll only have the drivers available on the Linux platform and all the applications for the Pandora will be written for Linux anyways.

(and yes, I am on topic, kind of, for those who would feel like complaining)

Kind of on topic aye?????
first off just hoping to see other OS's being able to be produced for the system would be great besides minesweeper.... and also this topic i stated was never about installing windows or any other dual OS if you track you will see. Now then seeing another OS wouldnt be bad heh. haha dont get ur panties in a bunch bro over a forum iam sure there is more important things to be worried about/ complaining about....

Back