Un-Brick the design.

I am actually quite happy with the plain, not-worth-stealing, look of the Pandora. 
If someone sees it closed they'll think it's a 10 year old DS phat and skip over it. At least that's my hope.  :lol:
Its not worth stealing a stolen thing :3

@ZetaNeta, Post some renders of your idea, and it will be discussed, besides there are no official design renders from the Pyra Dev team yet? or I am wrong?

Keep in mind that when it comes to laptops and phones, aluminum is not a high end material, but magnesium is. Check some ten or more years old Latitude and you will see why.

I personally do not care about the design as long as the device do his job, it is comfortable enough, and there are no glossy parts on it.
I gave a direction to think about the design..

And yes, ED didnt really mean to post it as a render, but yet, he posted it.

I think i had a laptop made out of it... And i think it would be a even better choice.

No ThinkPad looks like a ThinkPad without a IBM sticker. Does Lenovo still put those?
Nope: inner side 3 stickers: Intel, Windows, and Lenovo enhanced experience. Outside: Energy star and 2 logo's: Lenovo and Thinkpad

But do you mean the Pyra should have stickers? Like, "no intel inside", "no n-hexane used", "no child-labour", "opensource inside", "No person was underpaid during the production of this device", "this GSM device is endorsed by the NSA", "do not stack", etc.
I just been joking about that no ThinkPad may carry the name of a ThinkPad, without the "Mighty sticker"

!B33IEKQ!mk~%24%28KGrHqF,!iMEyeRtpYM%28BMn07pGqBg~~_35.JPG

But yeah... those stickers under the battery bay may actually be some fun :3

(Add "no horses made this device" and "this device is not resistant to idiots" to be complete)

Pandora looks cheap, even if it's an expensive device. It also is pretty unergonomic when you hold it for longer (my palm hurts, ouch). So I also would prefer an "unbricked" design. Besides that, it also should bee a design that shows the quality and the durability of the Pyra. It will be an expensive and compared heavy device so I would like to see that it goes in the "rugged" direction, not to say TOUGH:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughpad/us/best-rugged-tablet.asp

Pandora looks cheap, even if it's an expensive device. It also is pretty unergonomic when you hold it for longer (my palm hurts, ouch). So I also would prefer an "unbricked" design. Besides that, it also should bee a design that shows the quality and the durability of the Pyra. It will be an expensive and compared heavy device so I would like to see that it goes in the "rugged" direction, not to say TOUGH:

Exactly... it looks cheap.

And i like you idea of making it more like Panasonics TP... after all, its a handheld, and better have some bumpers to prevent damage on fall. Worth the money IMHO

I use the Pandora for hours without any hurting palms or cramps or what not.

People are different. ;)  Some people have problems with holding the Pandora, some have not. But these problems exist, it was even mentioned by audience and confirmed by ED during his FOSDEM speach. I always have my fingers onto the triggers and in this position my palm presses against the lower corners of the case and this hurts due the compared sharp top edges there. This really needs an improvement.

And i like you idea of making it more like Panasonics TP... after all, its a handheld, and better have some bumpers to prevent damage on fall. Worth the money IMHO

I always had such a kind of design in mind, it don't has to be a Tough-book thingy but at least it could have some rugged and durable elements, rubber corners are one possiblity. I also like to mention this example of an very durable iPhone cover:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1104350651/taktik-premium-protection-system-for-the-iphone?ref=live

It already looks like: "beat me, I can stand it!"  B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care at all how it looks. I do care about ergonomics and ruggedness -- in fact those are about the only things that matter for a handheld case. The Pandora case is not bad, but it can be improved.

It does not have to look strong, it has to be strong. It does not have to look good, it has to feel good when I'm holding it.

I always loved the ruggedness of the Archos Jukebox. Granted, it may not look that pretty, but it protected the harddisk it had in it. Mine still works.

Now, getting these in without getting in the way of the L/R 1/2 buttons is a challenge.

41CCAKCVWGL._SX300_.jpg
apple-ipod_archos-jukebox-6000.jpg

I don't care at all how it looks. I do care about ergonomics and ruggedness -- in fact those are about the only things that matter for a handheld case. The Pandora case is not bad, but it can be improved.

It does not have to look strong, it has to be strong. It does not have to look good, it has to feel good when I'm holding it.
I agree. ^^ Form follows function so I'm sure when it IS strong, then it also do LOOK strong, in that order. :)

I like the clamshell.  I wouldnt mind a curved back and curved upper corners to make it a little more comfortable to hold.

I've said before that I suspect the main reason my Psion S5 feels more comfortable when typing for long periods than my Pandora does is because the Psion is thinner especially at the front, making it easier to stretch your thumb from that front corner to the middle of the keyboard and beyond, wheras on my Pandora my palm comes into contact with the corner of the Pandora before I've stretched that far.

I'm not sure how you can do that in a handheld with the size of a Pandora board (the S5's motherboard is barely half the size) and without a similar sort of fancy hinge (which I believe is probably still patented)

That's just for heavy keyboard use. The current Pandora is already very comfortable when using the gaming controls, if a little aesthetically imperfect.

I've said before that I suspect the main reason my Psion S5 feels more comfortable when typing for long periods than my Pandora does is because the Psion is thinner especially at the front, making it easier to stretch your thumb from that front corner to the middle of the keyboard and beyond, wheras on my Pandora my palm comes into contact with the corner of the Pandora before I've stretched that far.

I'm not sure how you can do that in a handheld with the size of a Pandora board (the S5's motherboard is barely half the size) and without a similar sort of fancy hinge (which I believe is probably still patented)

That's just for heavy keyboard use. The current Pandora is already very comfortable when using the gaming controls, if a little aesthetically imperfect.
My Casio SF-8000 got a nice keyboard... but you will never get fast on it :p

Coding on pandora... want it... wont go anywhere without it...

Let's just make the Pyra look similar to the 2DS and be happy that way it isn't a brick at all...ha jk...2Ds is just a lame April Fools joke but I don't think Nintendo got the joke :p

Personally I don't really care what the Pyra looks like.  I only wish that it will be thinner than the pandora (from the preliminary specs it looks like it will be of the same thickness) because it truly feels like a brick in your pocket.

I just want the pyras case to be GBC strong. My pandora case has already cracked

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

I like the clamshell.  I wouldnt mind a curved back and curved upper corners to make it a little more comfortable to hold.
If I understand you correctly you want to curve the upper corners of the base. This would have the side effect of making a huge gap between the screen and the base when folded together, making this idea a no-go.

EDIT. By the way when the original Pandora 3D cad pictures were posted, i suggested curving the outside of the top lid and the bottom corners and submitted a picture of the idea. This idea was adopted.The original Pandora design was very thoroughly thought-out (form follows function) and in my opinion critics here should submit a rendering of an "un-bricked" design or keep quiet.

If I understand you correctly you want to curve the upper corners of the base. This would have the side effect of making a huge gap between the screen and the base when folded together, making this idea a no-go.

EDIT. By the way when the original Pandora 3D cad pictures were posted, i suggested curving the outside of the top lid and the bottom corners and submitted a picture of the idea. This idea was adopted.The original Pandora design was very thoroughly thought-out (form follows function) and in my opinion critics here should submit a rendering of an "un-bricked" design or keep quiet.
I believe he meant a curved bottom and by "curved upper corners", he meant for the back where the shoulders were to be curved. This would not cause the problem you are envisioning.

-God Ginrai

I use the Pandora for hours without any hurting palms or cramps or what not.

People are different. ;)  Some people have problems with holding the Pandora, some have not. But these problems exist, it was even mentioned by audience and confirmed by ED during his FOSDEM speach. I always have my fingers onto the triggers and in this position my palm presses against the lower corners of the case and this hurts due the compared sharp top edges there. This really needs an improvement.

I always had such a kind of design in mind, it don't has to be a Tough-book thingy but at least it could have some rugged and durable elements, rubber corners are one possiblity. I also like to mention this example of an very durable iPhone cover:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1104350651/taktik-premium-protection-system-for-the-iphone?ref=live

It already looks like: "beat me, I can stand it!"  B)

I believe he meant a curved bottom and by "curved upper corners", he meant for the back where the shoulders were to be curved. This would not cause the problem you are envisioning.

-God Ginrai
I'd have to agree with all of these posts in the ergonomics of the Pandora. I find that the bottom corners of the case dig into my palm between my thumb and fingers. Essentially I can't use my Pandora near as long as I would like to due to my hands cramping up. The longest I've used my Pandora for in one sitting was 2 hours. No where near the battery life of it.  =(

Anywho, that is my two cents on the case design. Aside from the corners cramping my hands I enjoy the current design (I have a rebirth edition) and take it with me everywhere.

-Xaeo

Essentially I can't use my Pandora near as long as I would like to due to my hands cramping up. The longest I've used my Pandora for in one sitting was 2 hours. No where near the battery life of it.  =(
This happens to me, too. I've never timed how long I can use the Pandora for, tho'. It's worse w/ my 3DS, tho', since it is so thin.

-God Ginrai

Back