Unbricking Gp2x After 3.0 Fw Update

sweebez

Still Fresh
Ive updated my gp2x in the past, and have been successful, but this new 'unnoficial' 3.0 update wont work correctly. I turn it on, get the noise and can get as far as the loading screen, but after that, it never actually winds up loading. I tried to downgrade it, and im getting the same problem.

Any Advice?

Just a thought. Use a formated card with nothing else on it. It might be grabbing a extra file or something like that.

Are you pressing start + select during the update?

</potentially silly question>

Hah, yeah I am. If I change the firmware on the sd card, and hit start and select upon booting up, i get the "firmware updating" screen. again, it's the part right AFTER that, where it says 'starting up' that is my problem.

This unofficial 3.0 firmware upgrader is a hack, and has borked all 3 of the GP2X's I've tried it on -- first time by filling up the nand, and then by installing 'something' that causes the linux kernel portion of the firmware to SIGHUP and drop to a shell - totally useless if you don't have a serial connection to see whats going on, and if you don't, well then: borked GP2X.

My advice: stay the hell away from this unofficial fw3.0.0 until a real, legit one is released by GPH themselves .. good thing I've got JTAG, or I'd be one unhappy GP2X hacker right about now ..

I've had no problem with the FW3.0.0 updater on a couple of units. My advice... First step, go into the settings menu and choose Format NAND. THEN update to 3.0. If you don't and you have stuff on your NAND, there is a significant chance the update will fail.

Well after a few minutes of tinkering with the firmware up/down-grades i finally got it. I just cleared everything i could think of and did the classic unbrick method.

Thanks all!

Back