Underclocking !!!

crazeeplaya

That's the way I like it
I have been fiddling around with various clockspeeds and have been able to get the GP32 running at a mere 7Mhz. I thought low clockspeeds could be useful for programs that require the GP32 to be turned on for long periods of time, while not requiring much CPU power (a clock maybe). If I can get it running any slower I will post info about it here

Oh.. thats nice... the board mashed up and my post disappeared... anyway i was just saying that if emulators had the option to be run at 7mhz, you could switch to this mode if you had to stop to have dinner or go to the toilet. This would only be any good if the emulator had this option and not a save game option..... still interesting though?

I think I'd prefer to drop it further if possible, but 7's fairly good.

What speed does Pacrom run at - remember hearing it was 2MHz once, so wonder if you could try that speed with a few things. That could be fairly useful for leaving th thing on for longer. Also need to work out which colour has least power consumption, as no matter how slow you clock the thing, the screen is always going to be a battery-hog. Its no-where near as bad as those mini-CRT devices from early 90s late 80s, but its still going to take up a fair what regardless of clockspeed.

Still could be very very useful...

I have looked up the required HEX codes for 1Mhz and above with pllset.exe and the lowest speed that fits the selection guide is 7mhz. Lower is probably possible, but none of them come close to passing the selection guide rules

It'd be handy for an mp3 player to go as slow as possible...with an option to switch off the display totally, maybe polling the buttons every so often for a wake up call.

ColinR posted on Sep 19 2003 at 07:11 PM said:
It'd be handy for an mp3 player to go as slow as possible...with an option to switch off the display totally, maybe polling the buttons every so often for a wake up call.
Yeah good idea. Also an option to map buttons, then i could use r and l to skip tracks while its still in my pocket instead of having to fiddle about with it to skip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rico posted on Sep 22 2003 at 03:45 PM said:
I thought the minimum was 15 MHz. The GP32 does 'round' up or down to fixed MHz intervals, it seems.
Is there any code out there that can be used to tell you what speed the CPU is running at?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back