Why did you buy your GP32?

Bohica

Following on from a few other recent posts pointing out the occassional bursts of ill-will in the GP32 community, I thought I'd ask (and apologies if it's been asked before)...

Why did you buy a GP32?

...We have plenty of asks, and some demands, as to what people want to see on this great little system - which is fantasic, although sometimes aggressive. There are also those few people out there whose fantastic work on getting various emulators up and running mean we have access to thousands of games.

That's why I bought mine. I knew what I was getting when I ordered my GP32 - a retro-games platform that would deliver a good 8-bit games experience. Anything on top of that, I thought, would be a bonus. Personally, I didn't need another MP3 player and have no interest in a portable DivX player.

I'm really keen to find out what other people thought they were getting when they were plugging their credit card numbers into Paypal.

Some of the asks I've seen 'can u konvert xx on PS to gp32 - l33t h4xor' border on silly. Sure, go ahead, I knew some of the development team on that one, knock youself out making that little billy work.

OK. This has turned into a rant. Sorry. The question still stands, though, why did you by yours?

Firstly i was lookin for a cheap divx player and came across this, i just thought that a system that was portable, frontlit, could play divx and mp3s, a load of over system games and had its own library of games all for about £150 was too much of a bargain to pass up on.

I'm going to buy me a gp32 first because it's multimedia abilities: mp3, ogg, even xm/it/s3m and sID-support. no other player gives me so much and is that cheap. the emulations are a nice feat. which comes for free with this superb mp3-player... (now i can watch my 64demos whereever i like...)

I think anyone over 25 who's been into computer games since say spectrum or even 8-bit consoles will have to get a GP32.

you can have the history of computer gaming in one pocket sized machine.

When I saw the speccy and ST emulators I had to have one.

I also have no interest in DivX or MP3. I bought my GP32 for gaming primarily and developing secondly. The real thing that swayed me was the Atari ST emulator, as I used to own one and loved it. The other emulators were a major bonus as well, especially SCUMM and I'm currently half way through Day of the Tentacle.

My biggest mistake was putting the GBC emulator on it, as my girlfriend keeps nicking it to play Tetris! (and columns on the GG).

I also own a GBA and haven't touched it much since getting the GP32.

UndeadCretin wrote:
My biggest mistake was putting the GBC emulator on it, as my girlfriend keeps nicking it to play Tetris! (and columns on the GG).

You have my sympathy. I too am a Columns widower. Don't let her near Mean Bean Machine either.

look posted on Jul 22 2003 said:
I think anyone over 25 who's been into computer games since say spectrum or even 8-bit consoles will have to get a GP32.

you can have the history of computer gaming in one pocket sized machine.

When I saw the speccy and ST emulators I had to have one.
I'm 18 and I was in the late spectrum scene, just old enough to appreciate it.

Anyhoo I bought mine because I enjoy emulation, I get a thrill out of seeing the bounds being broken through one machine being played on the other. The Divx was to good to be true and I just had to see it working, its a great device to show off and I've never had an Mp3 player (only minidisc).

I also bought it for software which doesn't exist. I'm trying to find the source of this phony information which I found whilst researching the machine.
I was dissapointed to find that the following do not yet contribute to the software line up;

1. A visual development studio to easily create GP32 software. (I saw pictures)
2. Full speed Genesis emulation.
3. Amiga Emulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I soppose I got mine because of emulators and ports. Didn't have much of a chance to own a TurboGrafx-16 before (PC Engine for all you non-Americans), and I'm a big fan of pre-8-bit, but mostly 8-bit, games and systems. I like the ports of Doom and Wolf3d, though I wish the save game in Doom v6 would load. And since I'm in computer programming myself and wanting to get into game development, I see this as a great opportunity to work on that. And since there's basically tons of free games out there, dishing out the 230 bucks plus the SMC cards really seemed worth it.

I saw the GP32 in a magazine, not FHM although I saw it there later, and saw that you can play emulatorson it. I have been playing emulators for years cos my parents wouldn't buy me any consoles (except for the Gameboy). That and my uncle has a lot of movies on divx that i can get off him.

NiN^_^NiN posted on Jul 22 2003 said:
i like the games made for the gp32 and the reason i brought it was cause of this community. Emulation just leaves me empty when i play it on the gp32 :(

:ph34r:
So.. so you don't like your gp?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought mine just before I went on holiday, got some speakers and used it for music on the beach and in the chalet. Watched lord of the rings on the plane :) Still had plenty of room for PCengine and ST stuff. -and there you have the four reasons I bought one (although the ST was the final push).

I bought mine for frodo, im a C64 junky, im loving nes, sms, st and pcengine stuff too atm

Money well spent

Id be delighted if heretic performance was bought up to doom level, but if the scene ended tomorrow and i could only play what i already had, id still be happy with my purchase :)

I bought mine just before I went on holiday, got some speakers and used it for music on the beach and in the chalet. Watched lord of the rings on the plane :) Still had plenty of room for PCengine and ST stuff. -and there you have the four reasons I bought one (although the ST was the final push).

I bought mine for Frodo first, NES emulation second. Pinball Dreams has been a nice bonus, but for the most part I don't think any of the GP32 games are any better than any of the NES stuff.

I sold my GBA about a week after my GP32 arrived and haven't missed it a bit.

Emulation and Divx. When I was going to buy it I thought it had a perfect divx player that could play movies at their original framerate, and that it had perfect nes, gb, gbc, gamegear, sms, genesis, a close to perfect snes emu, and a gba emu that was in progress that I thought would become a perfect full speed emu.

Back