Underground Throne - the spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper

theweirdn8

Hello OpenPandora ppl and future Pyra folks,

So far many core mechanics and principals have been made while being accompanied by placeholder graphics.

What is Underground Throne?

Underground Throne is a Dungeon real time strategy game inspired by old classicl RTS games like Impossible Creatures, Dungeon Keeper and Tanktics.
Dungeon Keeper was too great of a game to let it fall into the Free-to-Pay route, so I decided to make my own spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper's legacy.
This game does not ship with any of that bogust Freemium scams, but is simply a 1-time payment app, like gaming should be.
Currently the game works on Windows; but exports for Mac and Linux are top priority.

Also, we are a few days from launching our KickStarter in which we will have stretch goals to port this game over to microconsoles.

Gameplay footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LOQhbcFnBQ​

-2 weeks in developement​

Game Features:

*A real time strategy in nicely created dungeon maps
*Control a group of goons, minions and "kidnapped heroes" into your destiny of being the underground super power.
*Pickup and drop your troops onto terrain
*Digging your dungeon into total perfection while annihilating those who oppose.
*Protect your dungeon command center while destroying enemy forces and their dungeon command center .
*Build dynamic rooms and infrastructure
*Train your minions
*Fuse minions together to create freaks of nature with unstoppable strengths.
*Smack a minion, like a boss.
*NO FREE-TO-PLAY foolishness
*NO PAY-TO-WIN nonsense

A few updated screenshots

http://www.superlongname.com/programs/underground-throne

Why are you making this?

The Helix fossil confirmed it was the right thing to do.
See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1rAoDui3ZM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUnplXObv_6dq4OmSQ7oSb7w

Expect frequent updates to this page.
Also for those purchasing the game expect milestone builds of the game.

Next Milestone: Minion portals and enemy A.I.

IF you would like to help out on the project let me know via private message.
Thanks.

To-Do list:
-Enemy A.I
-Online Multiplayer
-Traps
-Other minions A.I
-Graphic upgrade from placeholder
-Map building
-Minimap

Special Thanks
-Easy camera management thanks to YellowAfterLife from yal.cc
-3d-2d mouse and map conversion thanks to Phantom107
-Minion overhead messages point to camera thanks to YellowAfterLife from yal.cc
-Simon Carter, the lead programmer for the classic Dungeon Keeper for giving us support via Twitter.
Feel free to buy the game now for a 95% off discount at SuperLongName.com.
-By paying $1, you can get access to each alpha, beta and final version iteration. This offer ends Thursday and will go up to $2.
I hope you like Underground Throne, it is moving to Version 0.15.

I have also added the game to IndieDb.com

Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/PawByte

-----

So you can buy it now for 95% off or later for 90% off it's final price of $20.

Please note, all graphics seen are to be assumed as placeholder graphics.
The more funded this game gets the better the graphics will get.

Thanks

-----

-------------------------------------

If you will like a chance to get a free copy of the game please read the opportunity below:

I'm probably one of the biggest fanboys of the old Dungeon Keeper franchise, so when EA came out with the new one I was disgusted beyond measure. Most of the internet-lands were disgusted and some guys over at GamerPetitions.com made a petition to send to EA about how badly their new game needs to change. 

They are looking to gather 3,000 signatures to send over to EA. Sure they can ignore it; but it is worth a shot at hope. 

You can sign the petition here, it is pretty quick and easy to do.

I'm making my own cross-platform spiritual successor to the game and will give out 30 free copies of it once this petition is done. So why not go for it? You have a 1% chance of winning(far greater odds than the lottery).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was disgusted beyond measure
Sorry, but this makes me chuckle :) It's a game! If you don't like it, move on; There's plenty more, or, I was going to say write your own, but you've already said you're doing that...
I'm making my own cross-platform spiritual successor to the game
Sooooo, then why are you bothered what EA do? Make your own, maybe try and push it to those who also dislike EA's decisions. Gives you an audience, and EA might notice the lack of pennies in their pocket.

It is not about the dough it is about the gamer.
lol, EA is a business, they make games that sell. The only way you, and all the other "gamers" out there, will change what they make is by not buying what they currently make. They'll then either adapt, or die.

So please sign if you think the game sucked.
Never played it, and no intentions of playing it.

"EA, such a terrible company! I hate everything they do but can't wait for the next big game to come out because maybe they'll be alright by then"

"Nope, still crappy. Maybe the next one!"

I stopped giving money to EA years ago. They won't listen to petitions, they listen to money. If you don't like the games they make don't buy them. There are literally tens of thousands of indie games produced every year! Distill that down to a few hundred good ones and a few dozen great ones and you will never be wanting for something to play. There is absolutely zero reason to show any devotion towards anyone in the industry: if they do something you like, buy their product; if they do something you don't like, don't buy their product. I meet so many people that don't like a company or the direction a game has gone and they BUY IT ANYWAY! What the hell is up with that? "But it's a <favourite series> game!" all the more reason to not buy it! If they've fucked with your favourite series then stop encouraging it! If you buy the game that tells them you liked it: all the reviews in the world could say the game was complete and utter garbage but if they're selling millions of copies they won't really care. Sometimes there's enough blowback that they take notice and turn it into publicity but those are rare exceptions, by and large they only care about how many sales they're getting.

Game developers are not here to cater to you specifically: the indie devs are making the game they want to make and the AAA devs are making the game that will sell the most copies. Sometimes that means they will make a game that you don't like: you of all people should know this. If you don't like it don't buy it, don't download it, don't play it, don't even think about it; if someone asks about it, tell them that as far as you're concerned it doesn't exist. If you petition to have the game changed and there is someone else out there who actually did like the direction the game took then you are completely invalidating their opinion.

This is actually ticking me off so much that I'm tempted to start a counter petition for people who think EA should be allowed to do what they want, microtransactions and all, just to try and emphasize my point.

The way EA operates isnt based on listening to their customers. If this was the case they would shut themselves down.

Edit: That great indie game you like, it will probably be bought and sold by EA. Much like any other small development company was. And when it does, it will suck, if only little by little. Do not send that company your money. EA is killing games. It may make millions, but its not because they make fun games.

It is truly the pepsico of games. Whatever culture america has, has a habit of destroying itself.

I haven't bought anything from EA in a while, nor do I even have a smartphone or android/iPad to play this. This petition is simply me siding with the truth of the matter, that game is a cashcow.

I'm also trying to reward people who actually sign the petition.

I've got it on Android, and I love it. For me it captures quite a lot of what made DK2 so much fun - and the voice acting is superb. Playing without giving them any money just increases the challenge, and they're quite right that it's not intended for people to sit and spend a few hours on; it's perfectly possible to play for a few minutes here and there.

I'm gradually working my way through it and have nothing but good things to say about EA's work here.

D.

Case in point! Petitioning to convince EA to change their game invalidates ZXDunny's opinion that the game is fine.

Sorry, but I love EA Fifa Soccer 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.  I gave them my money for these soccer games :)   I used to love Konami Winning Eleven Series but after 2007, Konami messed up Winning Eleven Series badly.  Luckily EA Fifa Soccer changed their gameplay style to the old Winning Eleven style I used to love.

And if FIFA 2015 comes out and you discover they've changed the play style again or thrown in all kinds of stuff that you hate will you still buy it? Or will you read and relate reviews in hopes that lost sales will convince them to change things back?

Since you live "close to" EA headquaters in Canada.  You can go and kick their asses and tell them they betterh not  mess up my Fifa 2015 :)

Surely if EA screw up a game in a way you don't like, then the sensible option would be to not buy that game? If you're in the majority, then that action alone will make them sit up and take notice.

You don't have to boycott all of EA's catalogue; that's cutting off your nose to spite your face. Just buy the stuff you like.

D.

Surely if EA screw up a game in a way you don't like, then the sensible option would be to not buy that game? If you're in the majority, then that action alone will make them sit up and take notice.
That is the sensible thing, yes, and what I've been saying is the correct course of action against this petition to get them to change it. But I have personally witnessed several times people purchasing games without any research and complaining that they suck, and then repeating the process time and time again."I'm sick of all these Call Of Duty games. They should come out with something more original!"

"But... you've bought every single one they've released."

"Yeah, I like first person shooters. I just want them to release something other than Call Of Duty"

Which they will never do so long as the Call Of Duty franchise is making the gobs of money that it does.

Replace Call Of Duty with any other long running series.

You don't have to boycott all of EA's catalogue; that's cutting off your nose to spite your face. Just buy the stuff you like.
I'm opposed to a lot of EA's business practices. I could do more research and figure out which games specifically conflict with my philosophies and which just skirt them enough that I could deal with it, but it's easier to just ignore them entirely. Like I said, with dozens of great indie titles coming out every year, and a plethora of AAA games from companies I don't have as many beeves with, not to mention the GoG backlog I've got going on now, I will never be wanting for something to play.

The big question do I have to boycott the games before they became evil... so can I still play one of my favorites growing up?:

Edit: it doesn't like that link..

Edit2: http://tinyurl.com/35bpxdo

Back