Unhealthy List Obsession

Ah man, that is nearly an impossible task!! I have been playing games for nearly 30 years and picking (& remembering) all my favourites is very difficult. However, I have put together a list of 30 games that I clearly remember for pure enjoyment. I have only included games where I own the original console/ hardware and games. I have earlier consoles and games than the Sharp MZ-700 but to be honest the games whilst good for their time cannot make a 'top list' for me. I have probably spent most time on my Amiga 500 (with +512KB expansion!) than all other consoles, even though I do own the majority of recent consoles (apart from the Wii - had a few goes on it with friends but still not interested ... )

I have tried to put them in order of what I have most enjoyed. There are probably several hundred I have also had a good time with. I might expand/ review this list over time to include games also played on emulators for systems I do not own (yet B) )

BTW - sorry for typo's - having a few beers here!

1. Stunt Car Racer (Amiga)
2. Speedball 2 (Amiga)
3. Halo (XBOX)
4. Snake vs Snake (MZ-700)
5. Sensible World of Soccer (Amiga)
6. Shadow of the Beast (Amiga)
7. Ape Antics (MZ-700)
8. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
9. Full Throttle (PC)
10. Doom II (PC)
11. Resident Evil (GC Version)
12. Hi-Octane (PC)
13. The Minish Cap - Zelda (GBA)
14. Chronno Trigger (PSX)
15. Halo 2 (XBOX)
16. Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
17. Panzer Dragoon Orta (XBOX)
18. Airwolf (Speccy 48K)
19. TMNT (Arcade)
20. Tony Hawks (NGAGE)
21. Shadow of the Beast II (Amiga)
22. Halo II (XBOX)
23. Jimmy Whites Whirlwind Snooker (PC)
24. Lotus Turbo Espirit 2 (Amiga)
25. Scooby Doo The Movie (GBA) - seriosuly 9 levels of isometric scooby fun!
26. Blood 2: The Chosen (PC)
27. Project Gotham Racing 2 (XBOX)
28. Drip (Amiga)
29. Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
30. It Came From the Desert (Amiga)

Well, here's my list. It took a day, but I had a good time reminiscing about games I used to enjoy. Bear in mind this is not necessarily how "good" (however you would define that) the games were, but more the enjoyment I got out of them.

1 - 50 in order of favorite - slightly less favorite

1 Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
2 Gregory Horror Show (PS2)
3 Final Fantasy X (PS2)
4 Super Mario 64 (N64)
5 Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)
6 Goldeneye (N64)
7 Pokemon Blue (GB)
8 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney (NDS)
9 Wizkid (Amiga)
10 Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
11 Luigi's Mansion (GC)
12 Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (PC)
13 Zool 2 (Amiga)
14 Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past (Snes)
15 Warioland 2 (GBC)
16 Super Smash Bros Melee (GC)
17 Legend of Zelda: Windwaker (GC)
18 Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
19 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)
20 Super Mario World (Snes)
21 Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
22 Worms 2 (PC)
23 Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Genesis)
24 Animal Crossing (GC)
25 Gears of War (XB360)
26 Mario Kart DS (Yes, DS)
27 Sam n Max Hit the Road (PC)
28 1080 Snowboarding (N64)
29 Super Mario Sunshine (GC)
30 Lacuna (GP32)
31 Ikaruga (DC)
32 Earthworm Jim (PC)
33 New Super Mario Bros (NDS)
34 Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Genesis)
35 Bioshock (XB360)
36 Dino Crisis 2 (PSX)
37 Warioland 4 (GBA)
38 Duke Nukem (PC)
39 Super Mario Land (GB)
40 Another Code/Trace Memory (NDS)
41 Mr Driller (DC)
42 Puzzle Bobble (Arcade)
43 Dig Dug (PC)
44 Grand Theft Auto 3 (PC)
45 Star Wars Rogue Squadron (GC)
46 Oregon Trail (DOS)
47 Soul Calibur (DC)
48 Bladerunner (PC)
49 Pac Rat (DOS)
50 007 Nightfire (GC) - The multiplayer is killer

TwoHeadedBoy said:
Thank you Shifty for your shifty list. I'm liking the amount of responses here, it's nice.
And the extra credit to all, yoho!

Mr. DCGM, I know you couldn't do a full list, but could I just ask if you meant for Donkey Kong Country or Super Mario Galaxy to be your Number One (of sorts)?
Hmm. Galaxy is good, but probably in my top 15. DKC is in the top 3, I think. My top 3 would probably include DKC, Super Mario World, and GTA: San Andreas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackd said:
Nova said:
:blink: :huh: you seriously think melee is better than the original?

Definitely, I feel that it improves upon the original tenfold.

I'm fed up with people claiming that the "original version" of games are better than their next-gen counterparts. Occasionally this is true, but mostly it is nostalgia, and the "rose tinted glasses" effect. If you played SSB and SSB:M side by side, I'm fairly sure you'd be more entertained by the latter. As well as the extra shine from the (then) next gen graphics, the stages are better laid out, there is a more well-rounded and larger selection of fighters, and the trophy collecting section adds a lot of longevity to the game.

My $0.02

Nova said:
Jackd said:
Nova said:
:blink: :huh: you seriously think melee is better than the original?

Definitely, I feel that it improves upon the original tenfold.

I'm fed up with people claiming that the "original version" of games are better than their next-gen counterparts. Occasionally this is true, but mostly it is nostalgia, and the "rose tinted glasses" effect. If you played SSB and SSB:M side by side, I'm fairly sure you'd be more entertained by the latter. As well as the extra shine from the (then) next gen graphics, the stages are better laid out, there is a more well-rounded and larger selection of fighters, and the trophy collecting section adds a lot of longevity to the game.

My $0.02

Generally i would agree with you... a lot of people who say they only like the original version of something are full of shit, but in this case i am absolutely positive that smash bros kills melee easily. This is mainly because melee is more about attacking people until they fly off and much less about grabs/throws.

Fully agreed, I prefer Melee over the original, F-Zero X over the original, Double Dash over the original, Metal Slug X over Metal Slug 2, Sonic on the GBA over the Mega Drive version. HaHa! That last one was a "joke". Thanks again to all who've provided their lists, I'm having a great time here :D

I love lists!

There is a 100+ list in my signature of games I like to play on the gp2x. I don't play games on other consoles, but I love playing emulated pinball as well.

Best pinball machines (imo)

1. Medieval Madness
2. Attack from Mars
3. NO FEAR: Dangerous Sports
4. F-14 Tomcat
5. Taxi

Interested? http://gethome.no/jpsalas/

Well b o b (that anything to do with that MegaDrive game with the yellow robot?), it's nice to find someone else who possibly shares the obsession. That's a nice list y've got there, but unfortunatly, it's alphabetical...

I found myself very disappointed by Mars Matrix, as it happens.

I've been meaning to have some Visual Pinball fun for some time now - I read somewhere that it's possible to play the likes of Psycho Pinball and stuff in a 3D-ish sort of way?

TwoHeadedBoy said:
Well b o b (that anything to do with that MegaDrive game with the yellow robot?)
Nope, I really have no idea why I chose this nickname.

TwoHeadedBoy said:
, it's nice to find someone else who possibly shares the obsession. That's a nice list y've got there, but unfortunatly, it's alphabetical...
I've added a sorted sheet, just for you ;)

TwoHeadedBoy said:
I've been meaning to have some Visual Pinball fun for some time now - I read somewhere that it's possible to play the likes of Psycho Pinball and stuff in a 3D-ish sort of way?
I think you are referring to future pinball. That has more 3d capabilities. Physics are less though and it is not possible to emulate real pinball machines with it.
Here an example on youtube http://youtube.com/watch?v=53BDDtLN7MA&feature=related
This is an amazing table with superb graphics and fantastic sound effects (and it's creepy).

Will not beat the gameplay and rulesets of the average visual pinball table though (imho)

Gonna have atry making a list tomorrow. Once I've finished my college stuff, I'm gonna sit down with a pen and paper and go through my favourite games. If I come up with a compotent list, I'll post it later tomorrow evening. Gonna have to rack my brain over it pretty hard. I've played alot of good games, and a lot of terrible games. Trying to remember them all will be hard. Anyways, I'm willing to give it a go so I'll see how it turns out.

b o b, I've never been so spooked by a pinball machine :unsure:
The physics don't look TOO good, still better than NES Pinball though, as great a game as that was/is.

That's a nice list ye have there, I appreciate the effort, nice to see Soldier Blade getting some more attention!

Back