Unified splash screens?

main menu --> settings --> desktop --> session & startup --> splash --> none

are people using a specific font for text in these?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you (plural) for al the encouraging comments :)

MAybe add some text to the bottom bar, like "Starting XFCE..."?
EDIT: And possibly remove the bar completely from the desktop background image?

Given that xfce has a mechanism for displaying start up info already, why not use that?

better wallpaper:

pnd-new_wallpaper.png

random thought:

the login page draws a text box on top of the background, doesn't it?

so could the "starting xfce" message be written behind that, to be displayed whaen the text box dissappears?

kludgy, though...

random thought:the login page draws a text box on top of the background, doesn't it?so could the "starting xfce" message be written behind that, to be displayed whaen the text box dissappears?kludgy, though...
Just tried it - it works!
Will clean up, then upload zip'd themeIt doesn't show what xfce is doing at that given moment, but gets in the way less, displays quicker, and can be universal

Will have to find a message that works for any of xfce/minimenu etc though, maybe just "starting UI"

Edit: heh. file roller isn't playing, so here are the images. use them to replace those in slaeshjag`s tarball (see post 7 in this thread)

background.pngpanel.png

I like these splash screens they seem well designed, but it really bothers me that they are slightly off centre, is that deliberate or accidental?

Here is what I am talking about: http://i.imgur.com/JnAk2.png

Also while the discussion seems to be mostly about splash screens for boot or system programs, why not widen the topic and create a nice image programmers can use in their intro to games (Something like "Made for Pandora", think of the Nintendo or Sega logo fading in before any game).

There are these nice, old gif animations, sadly the Pandora logo is old and wrong as well as the colours:

http://foxblock.pirategames.co.uk/misc/pandora_flash.gif

http://foxblock.pirategames.co.uk/misc/pandora_logo.gif

(I did not create those)

Being off centre?

hadn't noticed that! will fix...

intro anims interesting...

Apart doing it manually in the Xfce Settings menu, you can edit .config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml

Should be:

"splash" type="empty"

"Engine" type="empty"

zip'd with centred background

pnd-new.zip

still thinking about app/games splashscreens...

Somebody must know where the bootsplash is kept - can anyone help find it? Or know who does know?

Attachments

• pnd-new.zip
    19.6 KB · Views: 124
Please fix this, if it is not intentional.

If it is intentional, please still consider changing it. Asymmetry can be beautiful, but it needs to be constructed very carefully, this is just random and confusing in my opinion.

EDIT: Or just release the Photoshop file or whatever you are using to create these and I will have a look myself.

52yd8.png

I like the app screen, but the boot screen uses way too many different fonts, try only using one or two and it will look way more consistent and not "all over the place".

Thanks for taking your time to create these, though.

Especially mixing serif and not serif fonts isn't a good idea in my opinion. It just looks cheesy...

These better?

Bootsplash now uses 'sansation' and 'sans'

Edit: something still doesn't look right, even thought I took care to get things centred - have I gone mad or something?

appsplash2.png

bootsplash2.png

Hm, I think, you shouldn't use shadows in the first one. Two words with shadows, but "open pandora" without doesn't look consistent.

I don't own a pandora, so: Does it take such a long time to mount a pnd, that a splash screen makes sense anyway? O_O

The second (boot) splashscreen looks okay. For some reason I don't like the text at the bottom, but I can't point out, why exactly. It just looks... wrong. Don't know...

Hm, I think, you shouldn't use shadows in the first one. Two words with shadows, but "open pandora" without doesn't look consistent.
I'll have a go at tweaking that.

For some reason I don't like the text at the bottom, but I can't point out, why exactly. It just looks... wrong. Don't know...
Would making the spacing between characters help? Or making it white instead of black?

Edit: something still doesn't look right, even thought I took care to get things centred - have I gone mad or something?
You haven't, they simply are still off. The dark margin to the right of the coloured stripes is 130pixels wide while everything else is 134pixels.

I don't own a pandora, so: Does it take such a long time to mount a pnd, that a splash screen makes sense anyway? O_O

The second (boot) splashscreen looks okay. For some reason I don't like the text at the bottom, but I can't point out, why exactly. It just looks... wrong. Don't know...
This is not intended for display during loading a PND (although some PNDs take some time to boot, it probably is not enough to show something efficiently, also loading a splash screen takes CPU time off loading the actual PND, which is contraproductive). These are intended for display in an intro animation before the main menu of a game for example (think the RIOT competition splash-screens or a "Powered by sparrow3d" or "Made with Penjin" screen).

I also dislike that font, it kinda looks off, not really fitting the space it is located in. Maybe try ALL CAPS or something like that. May I kindly ask for the project file again, I would like to play with the fonts.

I did a little experimentation with visual re-balancing on the Xfce and Slim themes but I ran out of time before I figured out how to keep Xfce from shrinking its splash slightly.

Here's what I ended up with in case anyone wants to play around with them.

openpandora2.tar.gz

Attachments

• openpandora2.tar.gz
    117.7 KB · Views: 116
Back