Update On Pandora Arcade Cabinet

sm1988

Still Fresh
I am going over my friends house this weekend to pick up the arcade cabinet that I bought.I am going to slap a 32" tv in it and get the pandora hookups ready, I just wish there was a way to use the original controls because it is a simpsons arcade game and it has controls for 4 seperate players alreadt built in,I think I will leave those alone and wait till I get a pandora and see if I can figure out a way to get them to interface, anyway I should be able to post some pics here soon :)

For less money you could stick an old-ish PC in there :huh:

Or is this going to be a setup where you can remove the Pandora for portable gaming, then plug it in for arcade goodness? Although that'd make the controller hookup idea unlikely...

Any good at writing linux kernel device drivers?

I'm thinking connecting your original controls to a board such as this, and then connecting that to the Pandora via the USB host socket.

If not, you should be able to solder inside, depending on how many buttons you want to integrate.

Also, you might find the Beagleboard helpful.

fishybawb said:
For less money you could stick an old-ish PC in there :huh:

Or is this going to be a setup where you can remove the Pandora for portable gaming, then plug it in for arcade goodness? Although that'd make the controller hookup idea unlikely...
Pretty much I plan to have a space in the front where the pandy hooks up so I can unhook it anytime I want to take it with me

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wish there was a way to use the original controls because it is a simpsons arcade game and it has controls for 4 seperate players alreadt built in,

you could probably use the USB plug, though im not sure how the control's could be converted to USB.

Squidge said:
Any good at writing linux kernel device drivers?

I'm thinking connecting your original controls to a board such as this, and then connecting that to the Pandora via the USB host socket.

If not, you should be able to solder inside, depending on how many buttons you want to integrate.

Also, you might find the Beagleboard helpful.

I am going to wait till I get a pandora to take up linux programming and trial and error the rest if nothing catches fire i will be cool thanks for the tips! I am going to need all the help I can get :)

Hessiess said:
I just wish there was a way to use the original controls because it is a simpsons arcade game and it has controls for 4 seperate players alreadt built in,
you could probably use the USB plug, though im not sure how the control's could be converted to USB.

I swear I posted this link already.

Chip said:
Hessiess said:

Yea you did chip that is why the original controlls are still in there I am going to use that as my starting point.got that site book marked! :D

Chip's link leads to what's known as a keyboard encoder - people making MAME cabs use them all the time, and they come in usb form - no drivers needed as it acts as a keyboard. Pretty cool, if I say so myself. Or you could go the keyboard hacking route, but that's a lil messy.

Check here for more info.
~Lineus

Laurent said:
I *think* The Simpsons used Jamma connectors, so he may have to unsolder before connecting, but that looks like the best solution :)
Or use a fingerboard. I really doubt that it used purely JAMMA, since JAMMA only provides enough connections for 2 sticks, 2 start buttons and 3 action buttons per player. klov.com lists it as JAMMA+, so basically JAMMA plus some kind of extra harness or non-standard JAMMA pinout.

@Orkie Thanks for the correction!

I am basically happy I have no room anymore at home :) My X-Arcade joystick fits perfectly my needs and will work on the Pandora out of the box.

Laurent said:
Chip said:

I *think* The Simpsons used Jamma connectors, so he may have to unsolder before connecting, but that looks like the best solution :)

Don't bother unsoldering. Just hack off the connectors on the PCB side and land the wires directly on the iPAC. Of course, you'd probably want to label the wires first (if they're not already), just so you don't have to ring them all out later. Here's a link to the service manual, which has the wiring harness pinouts.

Gruso said:
Chip said:
Here's a link to the service manual, which has the wiring harness pinouts.
Great resources on that site, is it yours?

No. I wish it was. It's just some nice collector who scanned all his service manuals and put them up for free.

Chip said:
Laurent said:
Chip said:

Don't bother unsoldering. Just hack off the connectors on the PCB side and land the wires directly on the iPAC. Of course, you'd probably want to label the wires first (if they're not already), just so you don't have to ring them all out later. Here's a link to the service manual, which has the wiring harness pinouts.

This info is going to be gold when I put this stuff together Much appretiation! why do you have hunk from voltron as your avatar? my sucker girlfriend got me a masterpiece voltron for my bday last year he looks like he is anorexic very dissappointing toy.

Obviously not entirely JAMMA+/other-such-setups compatible, but;

http://www.ultimarc.com/jpac.html

How about the J-PAC, where no soldering and such is needed? (In my experience, you don't HAVE to use the video stuff that's on-board - you could just use it for the controls. :p)

You might be out a few buttons, though...

Back