Upscaling 8 bit games

So they have a few examples where it looks 'nice'.

The real issue is, how does it look when meshing foreground and background artwork. This is where most filters have a hard time mixing two distinct objects in a cohesive way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's not immaturity, maybe he doesn't actually speak english, and communicates poorly in our language as a result. DaveC will no doubt chime in with "I hate filters that don't preseve the inherent blockiness, get these smooth/blurry piles of shite out of here"! Personally, with all of these things I think choice is very important.

Being something of a film historian I usually loath it when arseholes like Ted Turner meddle with old black and white movies just to make them appeal to imbeciles with pissy attention spans. On the other hand, if you look at some of the excellent use they've made of colourisation techniques in restoring some WWI/II documentary footage it has brought some recent history to a whole generation that might not otherwise be receptive to it. Also, I don't blame companies like the BBC commissioning colourisation of episodes of TV shows that were originally in colour, but where only black and white copies exist. Then there's Ray Harryhausens stop motion animation classics, he's personally overseen some of the colourisation on those films. Films that were originally meant to be shot in colour but where they could only afford to shoot in B/W. This is more controversial. This is probably the most analogous to smoothing old games.

If the original machines these games were developed for could have employed this kind of filtering, almost certainly the game creators would have done so. But the fact remains they couldn't and therefore are what they are. Some prefer to appreciate them as they were, not as they could have been. At the other end of the spectrum are those like our friend with his problematic development in basic manners, whether due to linguistic ignorance or maturity. He/she probably can't be arsed to play blocky looking games, but would happily sit and waste his time on these classic gems if they were smoothed. Time that he could put to good use bettering his understanding of etiquette and communication. Perhaps here in lies the fundamental reason to avoid integration of these filters!

Hey kids! Get off my pixels!

Back in my day, we were connecting our consoles to the TV aerial plug, dag nabbit!

I don't like most of the filters, the only one I appreciate are those that try to simulate the rendering of a CRT.

But maybe I'm a grumpy old fart
tongue.gif

Oh c'mon. We (the retro gamers) all know that graphics isn't the most important thing in games. And I think it works both ways. What's wrong in candy vector graphics as long as game is playable?

These filters are more for the repackaging and reselling of these games to a younger audience I suspect.

These filters are more for the repackaging and reselling of these games to a younger audience I suspect.

Could be true, and Super Mario World is probably a best case for it to look decent for now. I can imagine something like Donkey Kong Country looking like a horrible mess. They did say that anti-aliased sprites don't work out so well though.

I'd be interested to see where it crops up in the future.

^ Apparently the PDF of the paper on this has what's been described as "a hilarious rendition of the Doom face", in order to demonstrate what happens when it doesn't work well, but the download seems to be unavailable at the moment. :p

(Myself, I'd love to see if they have any examples of Mega Man games run through this. I can imagine that it might look decent for the NES installments, but probably godawful for a couple of my favourites on the SNES. :p )

Am I the only one who is really into the pixelated look? I mean, I love the blocky look that LttP gives on my 42" lcd...
cool.gif

EDIT: I missed KodeIn's post. Kudos to you
biggrin.gif

Oh c'mon. We (the retro gamers) all know that graphics isn't the most important thing in games. And I think it works both ways. What's wrong in candy vector graphics as long as game is playable?
I understand your point but you have to take into account most people have hd tvs and watching sd on hd is dire to say the least at least with this people have a choice.

It seams too be new technology so i dont see this appearing soon on the homebrew scene.

I agree its another sell people a game they have bought three times already dillema but you must admit its eye candy pity sd looks so bad on hd tvs I bought a scanline generator just to play old dreamcast and arcade games recently if only someone could implement a algorythm to have this effect on hd tvs .

I agree its another sell people a game they have bought three times already dillema but you must admit its eye candy pity sd looks so bad on hd tvs I bought a scanline generator just to play old dreamcast and arcade games recently if only someone could implement a algorythm to have this effect on hd tvs .
Not if you use a component cable.

Not if you use a component cable.
very true but the old shitty crt look suits games like that beter than using component also it works brilliant for mame as well space harrier and other sprite scaling games look beautiful the way we remember them in the arcades hd is good for current gen alas the pandora can only output sd so unless we get an addon in the future for hdmi (which is highly unlikely)we'll have to make the best of what we have. The pandora is mostly retro so its ideal.

Back