Extremetech''s "20 Best Free Pc Games"

cobaltage

This article went up recently and has a few games I've never heard mentioned before. At least a few of them support Linux. Thought it might be worth posting.

www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2340696,00.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be best to post links as simple urls that can be copied to the URL bar, at least until the frum is fixed. I find it annoying to snip off the crap the forum adds.
>http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2340696,00.asp
for your link.

And what´s with all th """""s when you type an apostrophe?

EDIT: Looked through the article, more than half of it is not open source and thus won´t run on the pandora. I wonder if anyone could port Allegiance though? I love space sims soooooo much!

Allegiance was definitely the game in that article that piqued my interest.

Sorry about the link, I''ll try to fix it...

Some games are multi-platform.

Linux versions seem to exist for:
Free Civ
Dyson
Ur-Quan
Cave Story
Aleph One (Marathon)

Allegiance does look like an interesting potential opportunity.

Allegiance might be tricky. You would have to port it from DirectX to OpenGL ES, for starters. And it has security up the wazoo, which would prevent alternate binaries (including ports) from running against their servers.

'Frank Grimes' said:
WTF? No Battle for Wesnoth?

Oh yes, I agree - Wesnoth has the most incredible Random Number Generator in existance! It surely deserves to be on the list!

Playing a custom game,

38-20 (450hp) 80%
vs
45-15 (140hp) 60%

Who will win? Clearly the second one, since the first guy will only land 3/20 hits with his 80% hit chance. :lol:

I remember one game of DotG(Defense of the Goblin; mini-DOTA, sort of), I was facing 4 equally powerful heroes, and killed them all. 14 dodges in a row, ftw. 60% hit chance? Pfft!

My favourite unit has to be Horsemen. You charge into battle, and deal double damage, take double damage. But at 20-2 60%, I think it was, you can usually kill anything, and if you're lucky not take any damage. :D

1) It must be an honestly free game. There are great free PC games that have paid "premium" options and those are fine, but we're going to steer clear from demos, or games that really can't be fully enjoyed without ponying up money.
ButQUOTE
Puzzle Pirates) *snip* There is a money angle, though—you can play for free forever, but you can also purchase a subscription or buy doubloons to access more advanced features.
Dungeon Runners) *snip* you'll have to subscribe for $5 a month to have access to some of the better items
Savage 2) *snip* If you want extended online stat tracking, replays, and a couple extra inventory slots, you'll have to upgrade to a "prime" account for $9.99

*slow clap*

If Puzzle Pirates would actually run in Pandora's Java that would be quite the excellent perk for me... I quite like that game. I don't expect it to though.

'WizardStan' said:
1) It must be an honestly free game. There are great free PC games that have paid "premium" options and those are fine, but we're going to steer clear from demos, or games that really can't be fully enjoyed without ponying up money.
ButQUOTE
Puzzle Pirates) *snip* There is a money angle, though—you can play for free forever, but you can also purchase a subscription or buy doubloons to access more advanced features.
Dungeon Runners) *snip* you'll have to subscribe for $5 a month to have access to some of the better items
Savage 2) *snip* If you want extended online stat tracking, replays, and a couple extra inventory slots, you'll have to upgrade to a "prime" account for $9.99

*slow clap*
I think the important part you're just kind of ignoring there is "There are great free PC games that have paid "premium" options". Those games obviously fall under that category, rather than a demo or something similar.

'Fishbong' said:
Would be best to post links as simple urls that can be copied to the URL bar, at least until the frum is fixed. I find it annoying to snip off the crap the forum adds.
>http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2340696,00.asp
for your link.
Even better would be to do that and, if you're using Firefox, install this plug-in (it's surprisingly handy in my experience): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1200

Hey, I played Puzzle Pirates a lot when it was new. I agree with fireball87, if it works on the Pandora I'll spend a lot of time on it again. Some games get a lot of replay value when they move to portables, and Puzzle Pirates would definitely be one.

'second exodous' said:
Hey, I played Puzzle Pirates a lot when it was new. I agree with fireball87, if it works on the Pandora I'll spend a lot of time on it again. Some games get a lot of replay value when they move to portables, and Puzzle Pirates would definitely be one.
Its only really coded for sun java 1.5 compatibility, but I'll see if i can get it working with jamvm when I get my pandora on the second wave, if I get it working I'll throw a note up of what all I had to do. I may also try and contact one of the devs if it seems like its running all right and see if they want to tweak it to work even better. Some of them are open source nerds from my encounters with em, so who knows (I may do it anyway, couldn't hurt and they're fairly fun to talk to generally).

Back