US Based Pandora Shoppe

Considering events of recent days, several cats are out of bags. I've had plans for some time to us

• Pelican 1040 Micro Case & 1120

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Generic Class 32GB Class VI & Class X SDHC Cards

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Westone IEM (ear buds) of various price points

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Grado Headphones

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Pelican 0910 SD Card Case

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Pandora Parts, Batteries, TV Out Cables (dreaming a little) :)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cheap microfiber cloths

• USB Cables

• Solar Charging Solutions

• Custom Paint

• Suggestions

• Total voters

Link

ithic.com
Website
www.ithic.com
So let me know what you think folks. As a community driven device from its inception, I figured I would discuss the idea with the Open Pandora community before proceeding. Interested in all types of feedback and discussion.

Peace & Pandora

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, if you could get a deal set up with Craig or ED, then yeah. But obviously I'd want their total approval. Hell, if you could provide cases and warranties for your products, and custom paint jobs (under warranty), I'd definitely like this idea.

I'm just not sure how realistic it is...

I would not stock any parts until Batch 1 is finished and out the door. This has been discussed with Craig already. I would also not order any additional units from Batch 2. I have ordered one Instant Pandora to replace #14 (from initial batch of 100 Pandoras) and to support the team in this time of financial need. The paint is just a shot in the dark to see if there is interest.

Only reason I would not buy a Pandora from you is because I already have one on order. US Based reseller would be nice though.

Only reason I would not buy a Pandora from you is because I already have one on order.
Same here.

I'm in Australia though, so where I shop for my accessories would most likely depend on shipping costs and exchange rates.

Also, I was suprised to see two other people registered interest in Grados - didn't think there'd be too many audiophiles here.

At the height of the FCC argument, it was basically ended by saying, "We don't have a shop in the US, so we don't have to worry about it." Is it something to worry about now?

Actually, one thing I do need to buy at some point is a USB keyboard that works on the Pandora, mainly for coding and LatTeX editing. Probably wouldn't be a full size one (max. 9 inches long) otherwise it loses portability.

At the height of the FCC argument, it was basically ended by saying, "We don't have a shop in the US, so we don't have to worry about it." Is it something to worry about now?
http://www.openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=128:ce-and-fcc-stuff&catid=2:blog&Itemid=2&lang=en

I've bought a GP2X from a US company, a Gemei A330 from a US company, neither of these units have FCC certification. What about the Wiz/Canoo? Regardless I plan on selling Pandora's until I get a cease and desist letter from the FCC or local government telling me otherwise. I don't think the state of California cares, if I sell one to another Californian, then they are making 8.25% of the sale.

Ok, I just thought I'd bring it up. If everything is in order, I guess just forget about it.

Its a good idea link.I just wonder if there would be enough customers to be worth your while.Maybe when there are more pandoras released it would make sense.

Its a good idea link.I just wonder if there would be enough customers to be worth your while.Maybe when there are more pandoras released it would make sense.
Thanks for the encouragement. I am going to put Pandora's on the site up for sale once I have them in my hands. I have a few orders spread out in Batch 1 and Batch 2. I am just debating making the site live before then to sell accessories. I've been in contact with various companies about carrying their product lines. I'm not trying to make a living on selling Pandora's and accessories, but I am stoked on the idea of being able to sell someone a Pandora and a few sweet accessories to compliment a fine machine, get it to them quickly, safely, and affordable to the best of my ability. Working within my hobbies is what I've learned to do best.

Westone, Grado, and Pelican are American companies as well, and while I'm no flagsucker, I like to support the few quality US products left in existence. With that in mind, I am open for quality recommendations for things like keyboards and other devices of that sort, but I'm only looking for best quality/affordability. Let me know what you are using and why it compliments the Pandora in terms of portability and function.

I appreciate everyone's responses to the poll!

Thanks for the encouragement. I am going to put Pandora's on the site up for sale once I have them in my hands. I have a few orders spread out in Batch 1 and Batch 2. I am just debating making the site live before then to sell accessories. I've been in contact with various companies about carrying their product lines. I'm not trying to make a living on selling Pandora's and accessories, but I am stoked on the idea of being able to sell someone a Pandora and a few sweet accessories to compliment a fine machine, get it to them quickly, safely, and affordable to the best of my ability. Working within my hobbies is what I've learned to do best.

Westone, Grado, and Pelican are American companies as well, and while I'm no flagsucker, I like to support the few quality US products left in existence. With that in mind, I am open for quality recommendations for things like keyboards and other devices of that sort, but I'm only looking for best quality/affordability. Let me know what you are using and why it compliments the Pandora in terms of portability and function.

I appreciate everyone's responses to the poll!
I would imagine that google ads and distributing leaflets in your local area might be a good idea.You may well end up selling more pandoras to newcomers if you communicate that its a mini computer and can emulate up as far as psx and n64 etc.Never heard the phrase flagsucker before.Funny. :)

^

Flagsucker is a Hunter S. Thompsonism

I would rather help out people in the community than people in my community regarding the Pandora. If I ever have enough of them in stock, I could go a little viral with them locally (Craigslist works wonders in these parts).

The best part about getting bumped off of Craigslist is it puts your new post on top of the list.

a US-based retailer would be nice. would you become an 'authorized' Grado dealer? (wondering if it was true if the company only accepts warranty returns from those places)
If they will not set me up with a dealership, I have a local one that I can order from and get competitive pricing and include a receipt from them. Either way I can handle Grado requests.

Westone people and Grado, what models interest you, or do you have a price point you won't pass?

If my Etymotic HF5s wear out any time soon (not likely- they're new), I'd be interested in buying those Westone 2 buds, at a glance. I prefer those canal-phones, though. You know, the kind that go so deep in your ear canal they're almost scraping your eardrum.

Um... those kind. But they're not quite as dangerous-sounding as I've made them out to be. .__.

They'd probably set you up as a dealer for the iControlPad, but I wonder if they'll get to the point where the Pandora's mass produced enough to allow a dealer markup and still have a reasonable price. If all future Pandoras from OpenPandora are $500... (Don't know if this is a new permanent price, or just while they're getting batch 1&2 out the door.)

edit: There's going to be a point where people just won't pay any more.

Suggestions: flat mouse - brilliant idea, some of the execution on the one I have is a little iffy, but brilliant idea.

USB 2.0 accessories tested and working on Pandora without an adapter. Pleng's friend in Taiwan tried to do this, and apparently shipping is less than reliable from there. It was a shame it shut down, it had some nice things on it.

When I finally receive my Pandora (from batch 1),

I will be looking for sites like the one you are

proposing and keep them in mind when I need something.

Hopefully yours will come to light.

When I finally receive my Pandora (from batch 1),

I will be looking for sites like the one you are

proposing and keep them in mind when I need something.

Hopefully yours will come to light.
Right now we are in a holding pattern. Yellow light. Green will happen soon and I will announce it here sooner than later. < Two Months ;)

Back