USB charging

I8NY

So there has been talk of usb charging for awhile and I would like to ditch the long charging cable provided for trips that have limit packing space. I have several usb chargers that vary in milliamps (500, 700, 2000) and was wondering what the official max power the Pandora can take over usb. And even with the more milliamps does there need to be a OS modification to allow the higher power?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh sorry ^^.

It's not the first time i respond without checking the subforum section...

Yes, I know the USB can charge the Pandora at a slower rate but it doesn't say what the max milliamps it can handle. I want to know how many milliamps I can charge over USB standard of 500 without blowing up my Pandora.

I think wizardstan said, that the milliamp it can use to charge from usb is limited, so it doesn't suck too much power from a pcs port, but I don't remember the exact values.

Okay as long as it can limit the milliamps it can take I am fine. I was just hoping it was designed to go higher than 500, I guess not.

By default it can drain upto 600-700mA if charging empty battery, the current is slowly limited by the charging chip when battery charge goes up, so typically it's closer to 500mA or lower.

So when charging off of USB -> PSP plug, and you are using a cord plugged into a power strip w/ USB or car charger with USB, and you get a flashing red light, that means the milliamps are too low? Or too high? I've run into this situation with certain devices and cords I've tested for my shop. I knew they weren't working, but was unsure as to the specifics as to why.

I guess so, if the device can't provide enough current usually voltage drops, and when voltage drops below some threshold (4.5V I think) charger stops charging, which causes voltage to rise again (no more load) and charger to try charging again, which again dips the voltage, so this goes on and on, which is why you see the light flash.

I want to know how many milliamps I can charge over USB standard of 500 without blowing up my Pandora.

Did you look at the links I posted? Please take the time to do so. They answer your original question.

Yes, I know the USB can charge the Pandora at a slower rate but it doesn't say what the max milliamps it can handle. I want to know how many milliamps I can charge over USB standard of 500 without blowing up my Pandora.
Your questions are already answered, but I just wanted to clarify something. You seem to be concerned that using a USB charger rated at over 500mA is going to damage your Pandora. Nothing to worry about there, as amps don't work that way :) The charger sends 5V to the Pandora, and the Pandora determines what the current flow is (ie. how may milliamps). A 2000mA charger won't "pump in" 2000mA to the Pandora. It is simply capable of supplying that much to the Pandora, if the Pandora demands it.

You won't blow up the Pandora unless you use a faulty or incorrect power supply.

Although if your Pandora tries to draw more current than the power supply can provide (and the power supply is chineese, cheap 'n' 'orrible) you might be able to blow up the supply - maybe

in other words:

• voltage is controlled by the supply and too much can damage the appliance
  • current (amperage) is controlled by the appliance and too much can damage the supply

except its more complicated than that :)

Back