Usb Host Cables

DBH

Website
nicholas.piresonline.com
I need some help here I'm not sure whether I am damaging my GP2X here or not.

Basically I got the USB host cable from artaylor the standard one with female A connector .. I plug it to my USB hub but if I power my hub the battery light goes on my GP2X! :blink: is the thing backfeeding into my device?!?! what the qwai is going on...

My worry here is... is there a difference between the standard host cable I got and the mini b connector one that he adds with the whole USB hub package? Does that mini b connector one not have the power lines soldered up or something because looking at the Wireless USB tutorial bobby martins GP2X doesn't have his battery led popping on while his hub is being powered!

HELP! :eek:

DBH said:
I need some help here I'm not sure whether I am damaging my GP2X here or not.

Basically I got the USB host cable from artaylor the standard one with female A connector .. I plug it to my USB hub but if I power my hub the battery light goes on my GP2X! :blink: is the thing backfeeding into my device?!?! what the qwai is going on...

My worry here is... is there a difference between the standard host cable I got and the mini b connector one that he adds with the whole USB hub package? Does that mini b connector one not have the power lines soldered up or something because looking at the Wireless USB tutorial bobby martins GP2X doesn't have his battery led popping on while his hub is being powered!

HELP! :eek:

The Hub one shouldn't draw any power AFAIK, I think he modifies the hub, or uses one that doesn't draw or provide any power. The mini-b cable may indeed be wired differently, I would contact him directly, maybe point him to this thread and ask him what he thinks, I would be interested to know as well.

If your device is drawing a lot of power, it can indeed cause the battery light to come on. I would double check to see the voltage coming out of your GP2X, if it is 3.3 volts then it will be moving more amperage for the same amount of watts then it would at 5-volts due to voltage losses. If it makes 5-volts, but sags as you add the device or use it, then that device may be sucking too much power.

Your hub sounds funky, that is for sure, it shouldn't draw any power, but it might be trying to.

@ Miika: Use a multi-meter in series to confirm the direction of current flow, if it is into the GP2X, then don't use it with that device/hub.

Last edited by a moderator:
My hub is a externally powered hub (if I need more juice thats when it backfeeds), I've spoken to Richard he told me the mini b one doesn't have the +5v connected. So I'm going to have to get a different cable or butcher the one I got which I'd rather not do.

Back