GP2X Usb Host Over Ext?

Having read this post..
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=310090

The MMSP2 USB drivers are totally useless, sorry to burst anybody’s bubble but as stated above the USB 1.1 on chip controller on the MMSP2 is not pegged out on the GP2X PCB and as it is a BGA chip there is nothing you can do to change it. The MMSP2 USB 1.1 drivers will compile and load fine but never work, the silicon is there, it's just not connected and can't be connected.

Im getting conflicting information from what im reading, if the relevant modules are available then presumably someone would have at least tried running the module and scoping the ouput on the pins documented on the wiki as being usb? Has this been tried? Do we 100% know these pins are actually connected?

Also i notice the web browser conversation going on, isnt that running before we can walk? surely even when/if we get usb working we still need to implement a working usb network device driver. Once a fully implemented sdio stack is in the kernel a wifi sd card would be simpler and tidier, i remember reading DignSys were working on implementing an sdio stack but i could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 reasons for usbwifi over SDIO #1 its cheaper, usb wifi things are like 20-30$ sdio is ususally more than 70$ #2 gotta have drivers and crap for sdio, harder to do i think

Also i notice the web browser conversation going on, isnt that running before we can walk? surely even when/if we get usb working we still need to implement a working usb network device driver. Once a fully implemented sdio stack is in the kernel a wifi sd card would be simpler and tidier, i remember reading DignSys were working on implementing an sdio stack but i could be wrong.

Not really, I think a html browser would be damned handy - for instance, if I had a large page that I wanted to take with me (say it's a good ten pages long) I could copy the html file, with images into a directory on my memory card and read it on the go. Wonderful.

Allan.

@yosaito:
this quote is old i think, someone found out that the usbhost is on the ext.
but i dont know if its tested yet.
hehe i cant wait to connect my usb wifi connector to the gp2x, it allready worked with the gp32 ;)
about a webbrowser, dillo or graphical links is enough for me.

This may be off-topic but, are Gp2x <-> Gp2x cables / wifi planned at all ( harware from GP I suppose).

Being able to write multi-player games would be great, I;ve noticed that the gp32 had connectivity - someone wrote a multiplayer Puzzle - Bobble clone.

Excellent! This opens up so many options... keyboard/mouse/hard drive... granted probably not everyone's interested in it, but personally I think external hard drive + gp2x makes for one badass movie player, and USB wireless would be sweet for web browsing, or even instant messaging with a portable keyboard. The only mess is power - either you need an external battery pack, or a 3.3->5V DC to DC converter, and suck even more amperage out of the AA's... it might not even be able to power some peripherals.

I don't know, personally I like to mess with electronics like that just for the geek factor, even if it's not quite as usable as another option (PDA, etc). Soon as GPH gets their GPL in order, I'm in :)

what about web browsing using ad-hoc like the punk ass portaloo i mean playstation portable
What's that mean? o_O
ad hoc
adv.
For the specific purpose, case, or situation at hand and for no other: a committee formed ad hoc to address the issue of salaries.

adj.
1. Formed for or concerned with one specific purpose: an ad hoc compensation committee.
2. Improvised and often impromptu: “On an ad hoc basis, Congress has... placed... ceilings on military aid to specific countries” (New York Times).

The thing I would like USB host for is USB flash drives. Those things are cheaper than SD cards around here. I don't really care about going online with my GP2X but if someone can pull it off, power to 'em.

That's not what ad-hoc means. Ad-hoc is basically a wireless internet/LAN connection that is device to device, if I remember correctly.

Back