Usb Keyboard

cmunoz

Still Fresh
I would like to use the keyboard to control a flash game I'm developing.
I tried plugging in a keyboard but it didn't do anything in the picklelauncher flash progam thing, although my touchscreen game worked fine.
I also tried using the keyboard with the caanoo write app and it didn't seem to work there either.
Is there some kind of update I need to be able to run the usb keyboard?

Alternatively (or perhaps I should say also) if I make a flash game exclusively to play on the caanoo, how can I find out what the caanoo's buttons and joystick do as far as making them connect with a flash game.

Thanks for any help I can get!

Well this video shows a keyboard working, go two and a half minutes into the video... I think I tried it once <_<

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAru-hcYwM8[/youtube]

ruffnutts

BTW - did you upgrade the firmware to 1.6.1? its the latest.

cmunoz said:
I would like to use the keyboard to control a flash game I'm developing.
I tried plugging in a keyboard but it didn't do anything in the picklelauncher flash progam thing, although my touchscreen game worked fine.
I also tried using the keyboard with the caanoo write app and it didn't seem to work there either.
Is there some kind of update I need to be able to run the usb keyboard?

Alternatively (or perhaps I should say also) if I make a flash game exclusively to play on the caanoo, how can I find out what the caanoo's buttons and joystick do as far as making them connect with a flash game.

Thanks for any help I can get!
Hi,

Not everything supports the keyboard. In firmware 1.6.0 and up, you can use the QT html or rich text editor; it supports the keyboard. Write currently doesn't.

None of the Caanoo buttons currently do anything in flash; only the touch screen works.

All of my USB keyboards work, including my Wireless Logitech one (uses a wireless dongle).

Termula2x supports USB keyboards, and I think you can use vim (via Termula2x, of course) to edit text files.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to get the upgrade to 1.6.1
I figured out caanoowriter and how it uses that tedious onscreen keyboard. I'll look into Termula2x as suggested.

As for caanoo buttons, they may yet work in the flash player, although I haven't fully cracked which buttons do what, but I was messing with this a little today, I wrote a simple flash app with one movie clip which contained an alphabet letter on each frame, and coded that movie clip with

on(keyPress ("A")) {
gotoAndStop("1");
}
B2, C3, etc.

so that on a regular computer with a keyboard you could push any letter key and that letter would appear on the screen.
I loaded the swf onto caanoo and was able to determine that:

the L Trigger button outputs the letter V,
the analog stick button outputs the letter J,
and the B button outputs the letter D.

None of the other buttons seemed to be outputting letter codes, although I only tested the 26 alphabet letters, so they could be numbers, symbols, etc.

However, when I made a 2nd swf of a picture of a caanoo with buttons that should light up according to which buttons I pushed, the buttons didn't seem to correspond with those letters any more. I'll continue to play with this and post my findings as they come.

Here's about all I've been able to crack.
A button - Key.UP or keycode 38
B button - Key.LEFT or keycode 37
L button - Key.DOWN or keycode 40
Home button - Key.RIGHT or keycode 39
Joystick center button - [ key or keycode 219

Other than that, I couldn't get the other buttons to do anything with flash keycodes or ascii buttons.
This is AS2 btw.

Back