USB OTG port does not appear to be working.

Incidentally I recently started using USB networking and I've noticed a tendency for the gadget drivers (not only g_crc, but also g_audio)  to sometimes crash the entire unit when the attached host device is disconnected.  (or on being unloaded in the case of g_audio)   While you are looking at the gadget drivers is there any chance you could take a look at that?
Just noticed this, some deadlock in g_audio driver :( Will check if this has been fixed in newer kernels.

- if you are running custom OS: it still can't suspend with g_* driver + USB cable active, the device misbehaves so the driver won't even allow it now, so rmmod g_* modules before suspend (default SuperZaxxon should do that for you).
I use Zaxxon's scripts so Slack should not be affected by this ?

Dont forget to Upgrade your System over Wlan.

There was a Bug in USB OTG 1-2 Weeks ago and its solved.

Upgrading your Pandora OS should help and dont forget to activate "USB Networking" in the Boot Services.

But Renember that the OTG Port deliver for many Devices not enough energy.

Open a Terminal,

put in your OTG Adapter in with the Machine you want to use,

type in the Terminal "Dmesg"

and see the last Messages.

With my Wireless Microsoft Mouse work it perfectly. :)
Is it safe to do the Upgrade OS thing if I have custom software in my NAND? It's the default OS, I just added some extra programs, like SIDplay2 and stuff.

Zaxxon's scripts should do it for you.
Is it safe to do the Upgrade OS thing if I have custom software in my NAND? It's the default OS, I just added some extra programs, like SIDplay2 and stuff.
It works for me (doesn't mess custom ipks) but I can't guarantee it will work for you.

Zaxxon's scripts should do it for you.
>Is it safe to do the Upgrade OS thing if I have custom software in my NAND? It's the default OS, I just added some extra programs, like SIDplay2 and stuff.
It works for me (doesn't mess custom ipks) but I can't guarantee it will work for you.
OK, I guess I won't use it unless I have to.

Had no time to test devices so far as i was moving, just reporting that this 3.2.39 seems to work perfectly.

Here's a quick test with an usb 1 mouse with (working) nokia adapter.

1st dmesg working on 3.2.30

2nd not working on 3.2.39

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    15.3 KB · Views: 516
  • dmesgnewkernel.txt
    17.2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot that.

Ok, it's working now, but only with the nokia adapter, not the cheap cable.

Nokia still reporting some HW_CONDITIONS.

Want the dmesg ? Which cable ?

Even without ehci-hcd and g-cdc loaded, the battery drains faster.

I'm now charging everyday, as opposed to every two days.

1GHz, no cable at all, i just listen music and play some NDS thx to Exophase.

Did the same for days, but since i swapped kernel, i noticed i went from 100% to 40% pretty fast, same thing everyday during a few days.

I'll check dmesg.

Nothing special. Seems the fast drain is from 100% to 50%, but i need more test.

For now my 1GHz is compiling (well, trying) the new Libre Office, so it's put on hold.

We found that latest DraStic drains more because of mic/audio capture feature, that's probably the reason your battery lasted less, not because of kernel.

Next version of DraStic will only enable it for games that actually use the mic.

I got around to playing with this for a bit tonight.

For the record:

• I'm testing on a Rebirth edition unit, which I have clocked at 850Mhz on OPP5.
  • I run SuperZaxxon 1.53 from NAND, with USB Networking enabled at startup.
  • I've modified /etc/default/usb-gadget to specify dev_addr and host_addr params in "MODULE_OPTIONS" (I used the values it randomly selected before I adjusted it)
  • I'm using this OTG adapter from DealExtreme.

First I ran the Upgrade Pandora OS tool to ensure I was up to date. As other have reported it got stuck at configuring Angstrom feeds. Eventually I hit Ctrl-C to kill it.

Then I tried installing the new kernel from the ipk. XFCE crashed.

After rebooting I successfully installed the new kernel from the ipk.

rebooted again

Code:
op-vizzini:~$ uname -a

Linux op-vizzini 3.2.39 #793 Thu Feb 28 00:33:44 EET 2013 armv7l GNU/Linux

So far so  good.

I then proceeded to switch back and forth between a Microsoft USB mouse,  a Dell USB keyboard, my Retrode, my Retrode with a SNES cart inserted (each connected via the OTG adapter) and a USB networking connection to my netbook, testing each one to make sure it was doing what it was supposed to. 

Each device worked correctly every time I plugged it in.   There were no freezes on disconnect. 

Tried suspending with a USB mouse connected.   It successfully reloaded the driver on waking up, and the mouse started working ok,   but when reloading the driver it ignored the settings in /etc/default/usb-gadget and assigned random MAC and HOST MAC addresses.

I will of course continue to monitor it now in the longer term,  but my initial assessment is positive overall.

- Neelix

Thanks for testing.

You are not the first to report a hang at feed config, must be some opkg bug or something..

Strange about XFCE crash, maybe the system ran out of memory.

I'm not sure what to do about suspend, the suspend script reloads some modules but doesn't preserve args, I can't think a way how to do that right now.

I've got some ideas about preserving args,  I'll let you know if I come up with anything useful.

Unfortunately,  it still sometimes hangs the entire system when the USB Networking host device is disconnected. :-(

- Neelix

EDIT:  Just for kicks I connected a hub to the OTG adapter with mouse and keyboard both attached, both devices worked fine. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back