User Permissions?

r10crw

Still Fresh
I have a problem where I cannot create, move or delete files even within a terminal on the SD card. Probably something stupid but damned if I can find what it is.
Any ideas?

A couple of thoughts off of the top of my head;

1: Have you checked that the lock switch on the outside of the card is not flipped? (Contrary to popular belief, this is actually a software feature, so it may not even be supported yet. I'm unsure, but I've mentioned it anyway, just in case.)

2: What format is the card? (Or, indeed, cards.)

3: Do you get any error messages, or anything else in that vein? If so, can you paste them in here?

No warning just wehn you right click for the drop down create new folder is greyed out. When using a terminal it tells me that permission is denied. I assumed that with only one user you are automaticalliy given super user rights?
The card is a Lexar 8gb sdhc 60x. Not sure the format so Ill try wiping and reformat. What format would you recomend?
Oh and switch makes no difference.

I bet he's got Thunar in details view... locks you out every time... Switch back to Icon view and see if that fixes it.

Alerino said:
mindlord said:
I bet he's got Thunar in details view... locks you out every time... Switch back to Icon view and see if that fixes it.

you're right
now the second issue is caused by the lack of super user rights, have to go sudo to copy/move files that are not in the home directory (SD is in /media , owned by root)
/media is owned by root, but not the actual mount point (nor its content) I move file to my sdcard everyday (Well my current "make send" for zelda3T does scp the generated pnd directly in pandora/Desktop via scp and no root privilege is needed.)

Last edited by a moderator:
My god you have lost me now, Im such a linux newbie. Dont worry too much I tried setting up a new user and deleting the existing one. At the same time I told it to default to the mini menu instead of the full gui. So when I went for a reboot it decided to ask for my user id/password and hang, no matter what I try now its stuck. Going to reflah the firmware and start from scratch first then Ill try the above.
Thanks for your help Craig.

Really? I can move files between cards without root privledges... I formatted them both to EXT3 using Ubuntu and made sure to use the "take ownership" option. I'm not sure what the equivalent command line option would be, but you could sudo thunar and change the permissions and ownership on any folder giving you problems. I only suggest sudo thunar because it handles recursion more gracefully.

Alerino said:
because it is run by gksudo, right? (except if the card is ext2 formatted, then i have to sudo chmod it first)
No. never start a filemanager as root (nautilus have a popup on startup if started as root saying you shouldn't do that :p )
VFAT (windows formated) card don't store any permission information So they are created at mount-time.
As the automounter is fair enough, it give the sdcard to the current GUI user, thuss no permission problem
Filesystem that store Unix privilege information will be mounted using permission stored (obviously) if not asked otherwise. Mindlord post seems to imply that there is even a GUI interface for this.

CraigW said:
My god you have lost me now, Im such a linux newbie.
Sorry, I tend to forget that linux newb does exist (and are the majority)
I would recommand to stay with VFAT(windows) formated sd card (there is a formater praised around, but as I didn't used it...). OPT have done anything to get newbs away of this kind of problem.
But if your card is already windows formated (or if you never formated it), then my guess would be that the problem is somewhere else.
If so, I'd like to see the output of the "mount" command

EDIT: @alerino: hum ? mind giving your mount result too ? I'm realy surprise of what your saying but I cant reproduce : only 1 card here)

Guys reflashed the unit with the latest release and its perfect. Theres quite a few changes so must have been one of the early releases on the unit.
Thanks for the help,
Craig.

My question is in my pandora, I can only run "gpfce.pnd (nes emulator)" if I put the program in 'my name'/Application (if in sd,nothing happens)

Well this is not a big problem..... but I want to creat a link of it with right clicking the program and choosing 'send to Desktop'
still nothing happens...

Is this still related to the permission?

That's not related to permissions. PNDs are supposed to be placed in a particular place, at the moment. ;)

You need to create a directory called pandora at the root of your SD Card, and inside there you need to create directories called menu (which will cause your PNDs to appear in the Xfce menu), desktop (which will cause your applications to appear on the desktop), apps (which will cause them to appear in both the menu and on the desktop - note that, if you're using Minimenu, this will cause them to appear twice), and appdata (which is where save data and some other bits and pieces will be placed by some apps).

I hope I've understood you correctly, and that this helps. :)

Prometheus said:
That's not related to permissions. PNDs are supposed to be placed in a particular place, at the moment. ;)

You need to create a directory called pandora at the root of your SD Card, and inside there you need to create directories called menu (which will cause your PNDs to appear in the Xfce menu), desktop (which will cause your applications to appear on the desktop), apps (which will cause them to appear in both the menu and on the desktop - note that, if you're using Minimenu, this will cause them to appear twice), and appdata (which is where save data and some other bits and pieces will be placed by some apps).

I hope I've understood you correctly, and that this helps. :)

I know this ....because I go through the wiki.
The strange thing on my pandora is .... deadbeef.pnd and gpfce.pnd can only run from name/application ....
they can not run from apps or menu.....

^ It might have todo with the SD. Removing the PNDs and copying them back and/or redownloading them might help or formatting the SD with the Panasonic formatter.

@N_2 - Ah, I'm sorry. I misunderstood your post. I thought that you were putting the PNDs in the root of your SD Card. I'm afraid I don't know what's going on, so I can only second mali's suggestion.

Back