Using A Usb Mouse With Gp2x

Miika

Only Amiga makes it possible
Website
Visit site
Hello. I received my USB host cable from ARTaylor yesterday, the one that goes into EXT and gives one female USB port. I had been looking forward to use a mouse with my ScummVM games but got disappointed.
Only the mouse buttons work! Both in Quake and ScummVM, the mouse buttons and wheel click works, but nothing happens when I move the mouse. Do I need any special drivers? I have tried with 2 mouses, one that is a ball mouse and the second one is an optical one. The optical lights up bright so I don't think the power is an issue? Also, I can use my wireless keyboard. (it's receiver without extra power, it takes 100mAh and works great with Quake).

Can anyone help me?

You can try the X server too to test (I know for certain they work perfectly), but it should just work with no setup for anything.

Orkie said:
You can try the X server too to test (I know for certain they work perfectly), but it should just work with no setup for anything.
Sorry? Please explain, I have no idea about anything in this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Download GP2X11 0.3 from http://x11.gp2x.de/. Enable USB HID and connect your mouse. Start the server and see if you can move the pointer. Just to check if it's a mouse problem (X has a few mouse drivers).

Strange, I've never heard of that before :S. Not sure what to suggest then, you'll have to wait for some other suggestions on how to check where the problem is.

Duh, who forgot to read the Readme...?
Ok I put the x11 folder in the root, a pattern appears with an X that I can move with the stick, no more. I can't move it with the mouse.

Orkie said:
Strange, I've never heard of that before :S. Not sure what to suggest then, you'll have to wait for some other suggestions on how to check where the problem is.
Is he using firmware 3.0?

Qtopia and x11 as far as I know are the only two apps supporting the mouse.

The drivers are installed, the programs don't have mouse support.

The irony is that most of the emulators Had Mouse support before they were ported to the GP2X, and if it was re-enabled it would probably work just fine.

nubie said:
Orkie said:

Firmware 2.1.1

woogal said:
Quake should work fine with a mouse.
I know. The problem is that generally no mouses work, not in ScummVM or Quake... or X11 thingy.
Only the buttons work!

Miika said:
nubie said:
Orkie said:

Firmware 2.1.1

woogal said:
Quake should work fine with a mouse.
I know. The problem is that generally no mouses work, not in ScummVM or Quake... or X11 thingy.
Only the buttons work!

Ok, that is strange. Do you have the MK2 that should make 5 volts? (I don't believe it, but whatever, still haven't seen proof, my MK2 was 3 volts).

Have you tried a non-optical mouse? Sounds strange but there are some USB ball mice still around.

I don't know what to tell you, I used my IBM and my Targus mini mice just fine, of course I had a 5-volt battery pack that I ran them off of.

Is the brightness exactly as bright as when plugged into the PC? Especially on the "extra bright" mode that they will go into as they detect movement? (this is a terrible judge of voltage btw, but if you can see differnce, you know something is wrong) If that flashing to extra bright causes a power fluctuation then it might make it hard to communicate and it just quits.

On another topic, can you save or grab the boot outputs (anyone who can help with that, I am not very Linux/Unix savvy, I used a Serial cable to see mine), and then you can see exactly what comes up as it detects the mouse, at least then you will know if it is detecting properly. Although if the buttons work we have established communication.

How many mice have you tried so far? I would be more convinced with a oscilliscope on the power line while you attempted to use the mouse, that way we can see the quality and amount of voltage/power you are receiving dynamically. In practice it would be nearly the same to power it with an in-line USB 5v power source, that way we are sure of the hardware side.

Yes, I have an MK2. A ball USB mouse is exactly what I tried.
The optical was a friends of mine (a mini Targus). I have absolutely no idea how I could see the boot output things... :/
I only tried with 2 mice.

I can confirm that ScummVM has supported a mouse for ages.

It just looks for a standard USB HID Mouse so any normal USB mouse should just work (you will see a pointer if using a mouse on the main ScummVM screens).

If you connect via Telnet to your GP2X and look at the logs do you see anything fired when you plug/unplug the mouse?

DJWillis said:
If you connect via Telnet to your GP2X and look at the logs do you see anything fired when you plug/unplug the mouse?
Can you tell me how do I do that?

OK I got it, here is what it says when I type dmesg after plugging in the cable + mouse:

Only the mouse buttons work. Does this log give any clue what's wrong?

Try plugging it in then running cat /dev/input/mice and moving the mouse around and pressing buttons. You should see a load of rubbish appear whenever you do something.

Orkie said:
Try plugging it in then running cat /dev/input/mice and moving the mouse around and pressing buttons. You should see a load of rubbish appear whenever you do something.
When in gp2xmenu? Nothing special happens, other than whn I type "cat /dev/input/mice", the command line [root@gp2x root]$
is no longer there and I need to interrupt the telnet connection and open again to get to the gp2x command line again.

You need to do it once the mouse has been plugged in. It basically dumps the raw data from the mouse onto the screen, so you need to move the mouse and clock buttons to see if any data is being received.

Orkie said:
You need to do it once the mouse has been plugged in. It basically dumps the raw data from the mouse onto the screen, so you need to move the mouse and clock buttons to see if any data is being received.
Ah, right. The _ mark moves when I press the buttons, but nothing happens when I move the mouse.

Back