Using BlueJ?

Mygames19

Hello,

I'm currently taking computer science and we are using BlueJ to write our Java code. I was wondering if there was a way to run this on the Pandora, so I can use it on the go?

I've heard of people wrapping .Jar files in with Java, but BlueJ also requires the JDK, and I'm not sure if it's possible to get the JDK too.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

~CT

BlueJ is available as a .jar file, and there is openjdk6 in Angstrom repositories, so theoretically it's possible.

I wouldn't install it to nand though, just in case. I would run Pandora OS of an SD card (there is an article in Pandorawiki) and tried to install openjdk with package manager.

Not quite sure that dependencies would all be met and not quite sure the speed would be satisfying, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I'm in AP Computer Science, too! I'm also using BlueJ, though I think we're switching to Eclipse soon.

Hello,

I'm currently taking computer science and we are using BlueJ to write our Java code. I was wondering if there was a way to run this on the Pandora, so I can use it on the go?

I've heard of people wrapping .Jar files in with Java, but BlueJ also requires the JDK, and I'm not sure if it's possible to get the JDK too.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

~CT

Let me know if you still need help figuring it out; I think you can just put the JDK on your SD card and point to it when you run BlueJ -- I can investigate further if you like.

Hey, I'm in AP Computer Science, too! I'm also using BlueJ, though I think we're switching to Eclipse soon.

We actually use BlueJ in the introductory CS courses here, too. It's a nice teaching tool since any other IDE tends to be feature-rich, something you don't really want when students are just starting out. An edit/compile/run button is sufficient. Things like Eclipse or Netbeans or Visual Studio tend to scare kids away with so many features you haven't learned about yet.

Back