Using Pandora as primary device?

AquaAnalogue

[/lurkmode]

I've been neglecting my Pandora, kaede, for a while now. I just haven't had the time since I started working 30 hours and full-time courses. She had been relegated to note-taking duty in class.

It is perhaps fortunate, then, that I should find myself without a desktop computer for the next couple of months (or more accurately, a place to put one in).

Has anyone else used their Pandora as their primary computer? How is it? Any tips to make the experience more awesome? What would you suggest I do with my last few hours with a desktop computer and fast internet?

Download huge numbers of non-game PNDs

Make sure you've got a real keyboard and mouse, powered USB hub.

I've been using the latest version of firefox.  Can be a little slow at times but it's reasonably stable.

Midori was my favourite but it suddenly got unstable. That may have been temporary but I've switched now.

I had great plans for the Pandora to be my everything, it's with me all the time,it's even in my jeans pocket now, but I am not utilising for much more than PokerTH, freecell and keepass at the moment.

I kept mine in my jeans pocket for a while, but I couldn't stand the creaking, and I largely blame that practice for the breaks in my case.

The Pandora needs a metal case. It would be wonderful.

I use the latest version of Firefox...20.0

My web browsing is significantly faster with this browser.

I would recommend this.

Last edited:
I use firefox and babypanda - the latter is extremely fast and loads mobile versions of websites with the occasional glitch.

Firefox can do everything slowly

Any PNDs you think should be part of the OS in the first place?

I have PNDManager which I consider an example... anything else?

I'm a long time Pandora primary user.

1. Firefox 20 -> Big Browser

2. Arora or Qupzilla -> Fast browser for quick sessions

3. DeaDBeef -> Music

4: SMplayer -> Movies

5: VLC -> Second Media center

6: Libre Office -> All you need for office

7: Xournal: Write into PDF files

8: Image Viewer -> Shows Photos

9: GIMP -> Photo manipulation programm

10: Mypaint -> If you want to paint on your Pandora

11: DisplayLink: Get that piece of Hardware from Amazon. -> Full HD out of Pandora. Highly recommended if you want a big screen with mouse and Keyboard

12: Sysinfo -> System Monitor

13: Keyboard Layout -> Change the layout of your Keyboard if you use an external Keyboard

14: Games

15: Emulators

16: GParted -> Format your SD-cards

That's what I need.

If you're a coder you might also need:

17: CodeBlocks -> Easy compile on Padndora

18: Geany -> Editor (with syntax highliting I think)

If you want to get the full power out of your Pandora:

19: NyanCat -> Simply the best you can get ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
There is of course YTDownloader or Minitube for watching youtube videos.

And if you have netflix there's the android pnd with the netflix app.

Also a usb wifi dongle is worth investing in, the ones from edimax seem to work good (I have one)

here is a compatibility list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other options are alternative distros; ie: pnd's and such are awesome (I designed them, I have to say that ;) , but you can..

.. install the stock firmware to SD and boot from that, and thus have near infinite space; you can then pull in packages from Angstrom repo easier (though still with some risk of screwing up your install, since compatibility issues may pop up.)

.. install Debian, such as with PanDebian or a few other alternatives; then you can use those full repos.. which are (currently) not built optimized for faster chipsets like Pandoras, but have a _huge_ library of applications and ready to go; works pretty well.

.. use other distros; check the wiki, theres a few out there, and a few in active development with some good support. Again, full desktop linux repos at your disposal, when using pandora as a main, may be handy as hell.

That said, I've not used Pandora as my main head.

For Browser, check out http://www.pandoralive.info/ .. they ran a comparison a month or two back.

jeff

Let us know how it goes.. its always cool to read how it has worked out for someone going full-on Pandora :) We've had a few success stories in the past.

(Maybe finding those posts would be helpful.. been awhile though)

jeff

Right, felix20 and skeezix.

I forgot YTdownloader sand PanDebian.

Those are also important.

Never got minitube to work and didn't try the other distros (Except Slackware. SOLEIL adn SL4P are awesome).

Pandora as Primary Device?
Not realy here but when you count the Time what i more use,win the Pandora :)
Most i use them together PC and Pandora :D

11: DisplayLink: Get that piece of Hardware from Amazon. -> Full HD out of Pandora. Highly recommended if you want a big screen with mouse and Keyboard
@Askarus, thanks for your list. 

Do you care to elaborate on the DisplayLink? I found many types on Amazon and I am not which one would apply. 

I was thinking I needed the TV-out cable to be able to connect to projectors, but this may be better, or not?

Back