Valve's Source Engine Port For Pandora?

Blue Ion said:
or at least some Doom 3 source to port to the pandora, any chance that id could release the source to a select group of people under their new Zenimax overlords to do the port?
heise.de said in their news article about this iPhone port that id plans to release Doom 3's source after Rage is released.

Last edited by a moderator:
traylorpark said:
typs lik dis said:
traylorpark said:
Out of curiosity, was this question inspired by Rage on the iPhone? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uofg7m2rtQ4&feature=related

Nope. I don't play traditional games on the iPod/iPhone because holding it like a game controller cramps my hands.

I totally agree, but I think you missed my point.

You can't play Rage on the iPhone, it's not out yet. The point is that id has ported/adapted their latest and greatest engine for PC (id Tech 5, I think) to run on the iPhone. The iPhone 3GS has also identical hardware to the Pandora.

But it takes someone with John Carmack level intelligence to do it.

The iPhone 3GS has similar hardware, but not the same. There is not an OMAP in the iPhone 3GS.

-God Ginrai

We'll never see Portal running on Pandora. However, if I remember right, total conversions aren't illegal, so in theory, we could make an open-source version for the Pandora.

Ratfink said:
We'll never see Portal running on Pandora. However, if I remember right, total conversions aren't illegal, so in theory, we could make an open-source version for the Pandora.

Technically, yes. If someone were to develop a mod for the Quake 2/3 engine it would run on the pandora just fine. Though I'm not sure if all that portal stuff is possible in the engine.

Also, the doom 3 engine could run just fine on the pandora. If you take a look at what they're running, you can see that although the lighting is very impressive, it's all graphical trickery. And the models are of extremely low polygon count, but the lighting does make up for that. So technically yes, it would probably be possible, just not in it's full Doom 3/prey/Wolfenstien 2009 glory.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Ratfink said:

Technically, yes. If someone were to develop a mod for the Quake 2/3 engine it would run on the pandora just fine. Though I'm not sure if all that portal stuff is possible in the engine.
Well, that's what the Pseudoform project is trying to do. They've actually added a lot of cool features not found in Portal, like portals that change size, or portals through time. Unfortunately, the devs did not seem optimistic about it running on Pandora and, even worse, development seems to have stalled. But if you want to try for your total conversion, this engine seems like the place to start.

Tempel said:
b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Ratfink said:

Well, that's what the Pseudoform project is trying to do. They've actually added a lot of cool features not found in Portal, like portals that change size, or portals through time. Unfortunately, the devs did not seem optimistic about it running on Pandora and, even worse, development seems to have stalled. But if you want to try for your total conversion, this engine seems like the place to start.

Yeah, it seems like it would be a really tough port. Both for graphics and for CPU power. I mean, making those portals and doing all the physics must use a lot of floating point math and such. I hear that's not really where the pandora shines. ;P

>> Valve is clearly working on -something- for steam on X86 Linux.

No. They're not.

Someone there did obviously set up their build system to partially build a Linux (32-bit only) client. However, in all the time it was available, it never showed any progress. The only time the included files changed is when Valve updated common files for the Mac client. You couldn't even get it to start up without hacks, and the GUI was broken as hell.

The official word from Doug Lombardi, whose job it would be to market Steam to us, says: "There's no Linux version that we're working on right now."

Don't get me wrong: I've used Linux as my primary desktop for the last six years, use Steam under Wine to play all my games, and would *love* to have native versions instead. There's just no reason to believe that they're doing any work on the Linux version at this point, or ever going to release anything for us.

So to get back to the original poster's question: If Valve doesn't think there's enough money in porting Steam/Source to the millions of Linux users, there's no way in hell there would be a Pandora-specific release.

God Ginrai said:
The iPhone 3GS has similar hardware, but not the same. There is not an OMAP in the iPhone 3GS.

-God Ginrai

Ahh, thanks for the correction. I had confused the fact that they both had Cortex A8s and PowerVR SGXs to mean they both had the same system on chip OMAPs.

3vi1 said:
>> Valve is clearly working on -something- for steam on X86 Linux.

No. They're not.

Someone there did obviously set up their build system to partially build a Linux (32-bit only) client. However, in all the time it was available, it never showed any progress. The only time the included files changed is when Valve updated common files for the Mac client. You couldn't even get it to start up without hacks, and the GUI was broken as hell.

The official word from Doug Lombardi, whose job it would be to market Steam to us, says: "There's no Linux version that we're working on right now."

Don't get me wrong: I've used Linux as my primary desktop for the last six years, use Steam under Wine to play all my games, and would *love* to have native versions instead. There's just no reason to believe that they're doing any work on the Linux version at this point, or ever going to release anything for us.

So to get back to the original poster's question: If Valve doesn't think there's enough money in porting Steam/Source to the millions of Linux users, there's no way in hell there would be a Pandora-specific release.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/08/23/1237200/Steam-Not-Coming-To-Linux

this answers that once and for now! (never know what tomorrow will bring) :p

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/08/23/1237200/Steam-Not-Coming-To-Linux

this answers that once and for now! (never know what tomorrow will bring) :p
They said the same thing about the Mac client just before it was released.

Back