Vibrating Pyra?

She said she wants it for Rez! 

Would be so much win for a possible PS2 emu...

Sadly, The PS2 emulation on the current generation SoCs, most likely is not going to happen. :(

hi, Thinkpad, forgive my asking and most probably ignorance. But isn't the Dreamcast is the same power as PS2, and if ED said, Pyra could run Dreamcast smooth, why couldn't with PS2?

hi, Thinkpad, forgive my asking and most probably ignorance. But isn't the Dreamcast is the same power as PS2, and if ED said, Pyra could run Dreamcast smooth, why couldn't with PS2?
The Dreamcast predates the ps2 by two years when gaming technology was making huge leaps.

And what ekianjo said..

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks bro ekianjo for the explanation. Btw, is it due to Emotion Engine that is used on PS2 that makes it complex? And why also Gamecube is more simpler to emulate, their graphics in my eyes, are almost the same, and because of that, I'm assuming their complexity is more or less the same.

Sorry for ignorance once more

thanks bro ekianjo for the explanation. Btw, is it due to Emotion Engine that is used on PS2 that makes it complex? And why also Gamecube is more simpler to emulate, their graphics in my eyes, are almost the same, and because of that, I'm assuming their complexity is more or less the same.

Sorry for ignorance once more
The PS2 was rather complex, with the main issue being the inter-chip timings and interactions. GameCube operated at a higher level, and so the graphics calls and such can be treated more abstractly and the emulator does not have to deal with as much of the hardware-level emulation. So, to work adequately, PS2 emulators would have to be much more accurate than a GC emulator. A GC emulator can take more "shortcuts." Or something along those lines. The technical details are well beyond my knowledge.

This would also be good for those who might want it for notification of messages and calls.

I thought I saw someone comment that this was discussed but most people didn't want it.  If this is true can someone point me in the direction of that thread?  All search terms I tried failed to produce anything really related.

Am I the only one who feels that having a vibrating motor in an expensive pocket PC is asking for trouble? 

-Glyph Reader

Am I the only one who feels that having a vibrating motor in an expensive pocket PC is asking for trouble? 

-Glyph Reader
Probably not, but how is it asking for trouble?  Most pocket computers that people carry now have them.

It would be enough to have some adequately powered, gpio controlled solderpads on the board.

Haha. Its not about the power. Its about the complexity of the emulation. PS2 is complex.
My desktop has less CPU power than OMAP5 and PS2 runs great since the last updates of PCSX2, do you mean, that the graphics unit on the SoC would be the stopper here?

My desktop has less CPU power than OMAP5 and PS2 runs great since the last updates of PCSX2, do you mean, that the graphics unit on the SoC would be the stopper here?
What CPU do you have? Most likely you have more power. x86 CPUs are much more powerful/Hz than Arm ones.And as far as I know large parts of PCSX2 are optimized x86 assembly which would be a lot of work to port to arm.

What CPU do you have? Most likely you have more power. x86 CPUs are much more powerful/Hz than Arm ones.
Athlon II, 3x 2,9Ghz

I thought it would be less.

Dolphin runs like s*** though (possibly due to the 32bit OS).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the OMAP5 is 1.7GHz with two main cores.

ARM instructions are simpler than x86 ones, so you need more clock cycles to complete an equivalent task.

Roughly speaking, the OMAP5 is probably similar to a dual-core x86 processor @ 1GHz

Not always been the case though - the original 4MHz ARM 2 was often compared to a 25Mhz 386, though presumably the lack of cruft in the Archimedes design versus the PC of the day probably helped it perform closer to what its clock rate would suggest more of the time.

Back