Vice2x Basics

scalveg

Still Fresh
Okay so it's taken me a year to finally get around to trying Vice2x and I'm not getting it somehow.

I can run x64.gpe from my SD card, and the screen goes black. I know the program is running because I can hit the right and left shoulder buttons and get some kind of fps display and the virtual keyboard.

So, I hit 'select' to get to the menu (see, I did read the documentation!). I downloaded a game which is also on the SD card called Boulder Dash.d64, so I select 'Browse d64...' and go select the file.

Then it shows me (if I recall correctly) a C64-style directory listing that says:

0 "WWW.C64HW.COM " 00 2A
65 "BOULDER DASH" PRG
599 BLOCKS FREE.

So I select the "BOULDER DASH" and hit B and the screen goes back to black and nothing else interesting happens. I'm sure I'm doing something totally stupid; I just don't know what it is!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris O

Well I'm fully upgraded to 4.1.1 now, but still no joy. Back to my original theory. Am I doing something dumb?

Thanks for any info!

Try "Autostart Image" and load the d64 as you've been loading the image. Works 99.9% of the time. (actually 100% in my experience). Should be first on the "select" menu list.

otherwise you'd need to run something like

load"*",8,1<shift><run/stop>

Which is all "Autostart Image" does...

Be aware emulating the C64's 1541 drive is CPU intensive. Load times are comparable to the original Commodore 64, occasionally 5 minutes for big games. There is a "Warp Mode" that helps about 20%.

Good Luck!

Are you sure you downloaded the entire Vice2X package, and not an update-archive?
I have not had any problems on an F200 running 4.0.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back