Video Encoding And Such

Stainy

Advanced Member
Hey.. right... got a couple of vids... small ones..
namely the Simpsons send in the clones off youtube!

I`ve encoded with total video convertor at 320x240 etc.. and I`ve also used pocketpc thingy..

same results... on the pc the sync is fine... but on the gp2x the sound is well out!!

whats going on ?/ is there something I should be doing ?? I`ve read alot on encoding for the gp2x.. so I thought I cracked it... obviously not! :(

any help/ideas?

Try playing around with different encoding profiles and things like that... you could give virtualdub a try too. There might be other forum threads dealing with it too, so it'd be good to look around here some more.

You might consider messing around with a short test clip that's long enough to demonstrate the sync problems to reduce encoding time.

What codec did you encode into? When ripping from youtube, I use FFMPEG to convert it into something uncompressed (huffyuv, ffvhuff, etc.), then mencoder to put it into XviD form, and also handle filtering and scaling (as the vids on you tube are typically in the wrong resolution and of a low quality.) However, most of the time I'll not use youtube, and just seek out a better source. (Note: encoding from uncompressed form results in less blocking on your transcode. It's worth doing in most cases.)

If the sound is falling out of sync on the GP2X, I can think of a few things that it could be: Are you playing it in "Save" mode? This can sometimes result in the video lagging behind the sound. Try Normal or Full playback modes. You could just have some bad encoding options though, which is more likely, although personally I don't know of any XviD/MPEG4 option that is not supported (never used DivX)

The problem might just be the encoding software you're using.

I advise ffmpeg for encoding from youtube .flv files into anything else. I advise an uncompressed dump first, via ffvhuff or huffyuv or maybe something large, like YV12, before encoding into MPEG4 or XviD. ffmpeg is well documented elsewhere, so you should be able to find out everything you need to know via a few quic searches.

I've attepted to use mencoder on a .flv in the past, always seems to mess the av-sync up.....So I usually use ffmpeg for a dump into another uncompressed form, then mencoder-it into XviD.

Wierd. I personally use SUPER by eRightSoft. (http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html) I convert audio portion into mp3 (presumably LAME mp3) and use 320x240 xvid for the video and it works just fine. (Note: You may have to turn on or off the "Use Direct Show" option)

Oh, and if you do use SUPER and see a watermark on the converted video (like "Me ;]"), then click the "o" next to the "use Direct Show" option and select "Watermark disabled".

Hope this helped :)

clone posted on Sep 13 2006 at 12:53 AM said:
What codec did you encode into? When ripping from youtube, I use FFMPEG to convert it into something uncompressed (huffyuv, ffvhuff, etc.), then mencoder to put it into XviD form, and also handle filtering and scaling (as the vids on you tube are typically in the wrong resolution and of a low quality.) However, most of the time I'll not use youtube, and just seek out a better source. (Note: encoding from uncompressed form results in less blocking on your transcode. It's worth doing in most cases.)

If the sound is falling out of sync on the GP2X, I can think of a few things that it could be: Are you playing it in "Save" mode? This can sometimes result in the video lagging behind the sound. Try Normal or Full playback modes. You could just have some bad encoding options though, which is more likely, although personally I don't know of any XviD/MPEG4 option that is not supported (never used DivX)

The problem might just be the encoding software you're using.

I advise ffmpeg for encoding from youtube .flv files into anything else. I advise an uncompressed dump first, via ffvhuff or huffyuv or maybe something large, like YV12, before encoding into MPEG4 or XviD. ffmpeg is well documented elsewhere, so you should be able to find out everything you need to know via a few quic searches.

I've attepted to use mencoder on a .flv in the past, always seems to mess the av-sync up.....So I usually use ffmpeg for a dump into another uncompressed form, then mencoder-it into XviD.

Hmmm could you point me to an url for FFMPEG.. I`m keep getting the non-gui ver or some other weird and wonderful .exe that does bugger all! I found an audio ffmpeg ?
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back