Video Games Were Harder Back in the Day!

Try shadow of the beast 2.The most painfully difficult game ever.You will die within a minut or 2.

Hellfire was a pretty hard shoot'em up.

Gynoug (wings of wor) too.

Of course Ghouls'n ghosts.

And many others ^^, especially arcade games.

I got totally hooked on Gynoug back in the day, I was able to complete it without losing any lives in the end! That brings up the interesting point though, games were much harder but what they meant was that you had to spend many extra hours on them learning the levels and the patterns of the enemies and bosses, so really you were just memorizing everything rather than developing honed battle skills. That in itself is still a great thing though, but these days I have much less patience than I did so a lot of my favourite classics have to be relegated to the *nostalgia - do not touch* basket. That being said, I still do appreciate a high difficulty level, but game studios rarely get the balance right. For instance, choosing a higher difficulty often just gives you less health and the enemies health and spawn rate goes up, I don't like that, I need to feel that it's realistically difficult, if that makes sense, I feel that Deus Ex Human Evolution did this right.

Back