Release Video Questions

afk9903

Still Fresh
ok as far as the video goes I have a question i was looking at a media player that had a cool function that it could record off the TV. Will the pandora be able to do that too? Also, I live in the US will i run into any problems using an NTSC TV?

Hi, by default the Pandora cannot record from an external source as it has no video input. Their is a very slim chance that you could use a usb tv card but I don't know if the Pandora could handle that properly (you would definitely have to be careful about the card you got). I certainly wouldn't count on it that’s for sure.

As for output in the NTSC standard, Linux should be able to deal with both standards, which is set in the graphics configuration file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf for standard Xorg, not sure what it will be with the xserver that the pandora ships).

The OMAP3530 has a digital video-in that seems to be designed for cameras, the Archos players with this board use external analog to digital converters to record/display from a source. I don't know if an industrious modder could access this or not.

A USB TV card with proper open source Linux drivers could be used, but those drivers might require some porting.

I was under the impression that the ext port had video in pins :) Im pretty sure craig said something about that over at gp32x.

edit: hmm can't find anything so I'm probably wrong here and he just said it would have AUDIO line in in there, sorry.

There are USB video capture devices though :)

thanks for the help everyone

so what would be a good open source USB video card?

afk9903 said:
thanks for the help everyone

so what would be a good open source USB video card?

Well you'll probably need one that does most of the work using the hardware rather than software. here are some suggestions from eeeuser.com;

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=2709

They are working with a low power device too so they'll have that same issue that we do. their is a list of device that are know to work / not work with linux here;

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/search_r ... pattern=TV

you'll have to be careful I'm not sure is the usb port on the pandora supplies enough power to it's usb connector, it might not be enough for this hardware to work. Another consideration is will these drivers need porting, if it works using the v4l2 drivers in the kernel will the modules be compiled by default or will you have to reconfigure the kernel?

Whats the name of the video player program in the pandora? and will pandora it support all these formats? p&|a :confused:

Supported Video Formats:
DVD, AVI, QuickTime (MOV), XVID, DIVX, Windows Media (WMV/ASF), Flash Video (FLV), Flash (SWF), Cellphone 3GPP (3GP), Ogg Movie (OGM), Real Media (RM/RMVB), VideoCD (VCD), Super VideoCD (SVCD), MPEG (MPG), MPEG2 Program (M2V/VOB), MPEG2 Transport (TS/TP/TSP/TRP/M2T/PVA), MPEG4 (SP/ASP), MPEG4 AVC (H.264), MPEG4 ISO (MP4), Matroska (MKV), Media Center DVR (DVR-MS), VP3, VP6, Digital Video (DV), Motion JPEG (MJPEG), FLIC (FLI/FLC).

Supported Audio Formats:
MP3, Windows Media (WMA), Advanced Audio Coding (AAC), OGG Vorbis (OGG), SHOUTcast (Streaming), Free Lossless Audio CODEC (FLAC), CD-Audio (CDA), Dolby Digital (AC3), Digital Theatre Surround (DTS), LPCM, Monkey Audio (APE), Real Media (RA), MusePack (MPC), OptimFROG (OFR), Shorten (SHN), True Audio (TTA), WavPack (WV), Apple Lossless Audio Coding (ALAC), MIDI, Matroska (MKA), Wave Audio (WAV), MO3, IT, XM, S3M, MTM, MOD, UMX.

Supported Image Formats:
JPEG (JPG), PNG, GIF, BMP, ICO, WMF, EMF, JFIF, RLE, WIN, VST, VDA, TGA, ICB, TIFF, FAX, EPS, PCX, PCC, SCR, RPF, RLA, SGI, BW, PSD, PDD, PPM, PGM, PBM, CEL, PIC, PCD, CUT, PSP, PN.

Back