Visual Basic And Dx7/8 On Arm?

sold

songs in the key of AAAAAARRRGH!
At the risk of looking like a dumbass, here goes... I was wondering if it would be possible to run this kick-ass zombie game on the Pandora. It is a windows game, but it is written in VB. Also, it is dependent on DirectX 7 or 8. Would it be possible to run it on *shudders* windows mobile on the Pandora? Or is this not possible. I would gladly make an extra partition on an sd to boot from so I could run this game and its sequel on the go. Otherwise, are there any open source alternatives for running software with these dependencies?

I stumbled on the mono project, which appears to be a reverse engineered open version of the .NET framework, but I dont know if it is useful for running existing VB software or if it is for compiling Visual Basics code for platforms other than windows. Also, I was wondering if there was some kind of wrapper for DirectX to opengl es?

Any hope? Or is it basically impossible?

EDIT: Also Little Fighter 2 but it uses Visual C++. And DirectX.

Not possible unless its written with a damn old VB which doesn't compile to native code. Besides that DX7 and 8 are not available on the mobile windowses afaik
*I think* your best bet would be a port to gambas and gl / gl es.

sold said:
I stumbled on the mono project, which appears to be a reverse engineered open version of the .NET framework, but I dont know if it is useful for running existing VB software or if it is for compiling Visual Basics code for platforms other than windows.
Just an additional FYI - mono is for running .Net programs (c#/Visual Basic.Net). It is not relevant for this zombie game or any other 'Visual Basic' game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[offtopic]Hmm, Mono is very interesting to me. Mostly because I was made to learn Visual Basic at college and I can't code for shit otherwise. When I had to learn Java and C I was scared away from programming and switched to game design. Sad, I know, and I know I should probably continue trying to code using a "proper language". I guess I'm more of a designer than an engineer, and I can't see a future career involving doing something that makes me want to pull my hair out frequently. I've been told once OO programming "clicks" I'll enjoy it, but... blah.[/offtopic]

But yes, WombleGoneBad is correct. VB.NET is very different to Visual Basic 6. I doubt the developer would find the time to rewrite it.

Well, that's not always true anyways. Everyone has different interests. Yours apparently isn't programming, unlike many of us on this board.

No, Visual Basic could NEVER run on the pandora. (So many reasons) However, providing you have access to the source code, you could rewrite it for Opengl/GTK/Qt and use something like HBasic.

On the site it says it was based on a NES game. Have you tried it? if it is as good as the remake, you can just run it on a NES emulator.

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess this particular game wont be making it to the Pandora any time soon, unless the author decides to release source code so someone can do a rewrite. I was just wondering cause I used to play this game ages ago and it was fun.

Its based on river city ransom, but is a lot more violent and bloody (in a funny way) and it was been made freeware to boot. There was also a level editor so people could make their own scenarios and stuff. If you haven't tried it out, I recommend giving it a go, especially if you like river city ransom. It can be downloaded from the link in the first post.

Back