Vmware Demo Showing Two Operating Systems Running On The N800

benjiro

Website
Visit site
Looks interesting: Android and Windows CE on a nokia N800 using VMware

www.umpcportal.com/2009/02/youtube-vmware-demo-showing-two-operating-systems-running-on-the-n800

And we all know that the n800 is using a OMAP2, so rather compatible with the Pandora's Omap3...

Think this opens up the door for Pandora Car Navigation ( as most "good" software like TomTom, etc is on the PDA market -> Windows CE ).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to know what the performance is like. Unless N800 has TrustZone (and VMWare knows how to use it) then it won't offer the necessary capabilities for hardware virtualization, meaning this will be running with dynamic recompilation, at least for kernel code. A lot of the tricks VMWare does in its recompilation on x86 don't translate over to ARM very well so it might be slower in comparison.

'Exophase' said:
Unless N800 has TrustZone (and VMWare knows how to use it) then it won't offer the necessary capabilities for hardware virtualization

N800 is based on OMAP2 IIRC and it has an ARM1136, so no TrustZone (this came with 1176).
Anyway TZ is not really made for virtualization, even though it can help.

Posted here: CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46872
(half way down the first board page)

If there was a good CE version, hopefully there would be GPU acceleration, allowing us to play PocketPC games. There are some really good 3D ones.

'Laurent' said:
'Exophase' said:
Unless N800 has TrustZone (and VMWare knows how to use it) then it won't offer the necessary capabilities for hardware virtualization

N800 is based on OMAP2 IIRC and it has an ARM1136, so no TrustZone (this came with 1176).
Anyway TZ is not really made for virtualization, even though it can help.
I could comment more if I had the faintest idea how it worked ;) ARM is too secretive these days (at least they disclosed Thumb2-EE)

Back