VNS Engine

Arrgh, I got the same problem as Neomorpheus...
I'd love to try VNS, but my gp32 freezes (blank screen) when I launch it (I use the classic gamepark freelaucher). Any help would be welcome!

VirtualLeech: sorry for losing contact with you but my last couple of e-mails have bounced off your server for some reason.

The final product is as good, if not better than I expected, brilliant job especially with the number of demos to help new VNS'ers out with development.

If you don't mind, I think I can squeeze a review of VNS into GP32:Zine #3 :)

- Rico

Nice to see a review of VNS and a interview in the zine

I dont think VNS has been giving the attention it deserves so hopefully when a game comes out it will be :)

I do think a small FXE only download should be available if they dont want to download the examples as its a big download and imon a 33.6k still :lol:

:ph34r:

Hey Rico nice to hear from you again. Sure it's okay to do a review in GP32:zine. Any idea when issue 3 will be out?

As for VNS not working on some machine maybe it has something to do with the way I set the clockspeed. I will try to compile a different version tonight.

From now on VNS will also be released in two versions. One with demo's and one without (considering people already have the first demo's).

As for VNS not getting the attention it deserves. It is getting some attention (not only on gp32 but also judging from the mails I receive) but you have to consider that for a lot of people it's may be difficult to understand what VNS really is.

Looking back at my "press release" I now see that I was so relieved with the release of the first version that I kind of forgot to mention what the product actually does. So word got out that VNS was released with demo's and all but the true purpose of the product never got any real attention. When the next version is released I will try to make a more informative press release.

But if anybody wants to promote the product, feel free to do so ;)

Zimba, co-editor and the master of all layouts, has been unavailable lately. As a consequence we ended up with all the content done but not set out on the pages, it was unavoidable. Me, Bobson and Axeman are now all racing away to get some software, learn how to use it and rattle off some new pages, it should be finished very soon (Wednesday at the latest, I'd hope). Which means VNS will definitely end up in it, I also hope :)

- Rico

Hey, if anyone would like me to uploade and link to some short video clips I've made, I'm willing to place them on my webspace. This goes back to my earlier suggestion about incorporation video clip support into VNS. You could use these short clips to test this feature if you feel up to it. I can provide them in any format requested. Since I can't code for real this is the only thing I can think of that may help. Let me know.

Hi Kandor,

Nice idea. Right now I don't know how to incorporate this or which format to use. But if you have some short demo clips it wouldn't hurt to put them up somewhere for testing purpose.

As for VNS not working on some machine maybe it has something to do with the way I set the clockspeed. I will try to compile a different version tonight.

Tried the new version and it works now, thanks alot VirtuaLeech, nice to know u care about us 3 people who couldn't get it to work.

B)

Virtualeech - perhaps investigating using SDL to put in animated .gif support, since those are small and kind of appropriate to the system? Something along those lines anyway...

This is something I *really* need to get round to fiddling with :)

Got the version you sent to Neomorpheus and it works like a charm! Great work. Thx Vitualleech!!

Now I know what the problem is I'll try something to get around it. The version you have does work but the timing of events is wrong, and transitions are to slow. As soon as the improved version is released I'll post a link to it.

.jpg support for backgrounds would do wonders for file size. not for sprites, of course, because any artifacting would mess up transparency. mp3 for sfx and/or music would be great as well, but that's probably a bit much.

Back