Release VVVVVV - official full version

@Kumaki: Cool; it's great you are helping Pandora development by teaming up with people to get software made (regardless if it is software that is of special interest to you)! Don't take my post above as being directed at you, just see it as some reasons why it is nice to support indie developers.

From a end users point of view, their decision to download some software typically boils down to something along the lines of:

1. Scan software list, typically this will be either 'featured' titles on the store, or the top 10/25/50/100 application/games or perhaps the top games in a specific genre, for Pandora the forums come into play too
  2. Based on software name, icon, average rating and price decide if the software sounds interesting to you
  3. If interested, go to details page, immediately look at screenshots
  4. If screenshots are interesting enough then read first line of description to see if is the sort of game you think it is
  5. Read a couple of reviews to make sure there aren't any major problems
  6. Make decisions whether to download game, potentially reading full description and comments if the title costs money
The above applies to both free and paid titles. However at step 6, if it is a paid title, and a free demo is available, some number of people will grab the demo.
I don't wish to derail the thread, but I did want to point out I am not the typical end-user.  I have always marched to the beat of my own drummer, and refuse to let anyone else tell me what is good, what I ought to like, etc.  In fact, if it's really popular, it's probably a bit of a turnoff to me, lol.  Seriously, for me, I have to play a bit of it for myself to decide if I will like it.

I have done this, for example, with every Nintendo DS game I ever bought.  I got me a ROM and played a bit.  If I liked it, I bought it.  If I didn't like it, then I didn't buy it, or keep the ROM.  Yeah, Ninty might not like ROMS, and I can understand why...but, in my case, the ability to download them has directly led to my purchase of several titles they otherwise would not have sold me.

Thus, it is a very good thing this has a demo version for me to try.

As I said, the next two weeks, I am going to be very busy, and very mobile, so I likely won't have a chance to try much of anything.  But what I am saying is..future releases that want "for-pay" should consider putting a demo out there, so one can decide for themselves if they like it or not.  I, for one, do not depend on reviews from so-called professionals whose job it is to tell me what I should like or not like.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand VVVVVV (and I apologize for the minor interruption in the thread - and thanks for y'all's indulgence)

Did anyone else finish VVVVVV and collect all the trinkets on their Pandora yet?   :p
The only Trinket I'm missing is that evil one where you have to move all the way up and then down again (with all these spikes).

I managed to almost get back down, but decided to do it sometimes later.
ED: If your that close, then you should be able to nail it soon. It took me a while to get close, too.

sswam: I've done that on Pandora. It's great that there are also user created maps to keep the experience going!

I've already purchased VVVVVV 3 times, can I really justify buying it a fourth?
 Yes, yes you can...  (you did ask!)

As I said, the next two weeks, I am going to be very busy, and very mobile, so I likely won't have a chance to try much of anything.
Alternative ways to have spent 30 minutes:

1. try the VVVVVV demo, and write a short post in this thread about it

2. write several large slabs of off-topic text in this thread

I'd say option #1 is objectively more enjoyable and worthwhile.

Please get your priorities straight!! :) I also need to work on this...

VVVVVV 2.2 is out on Steam, with achievements and Steam-related improvements, discounted to $2.50.

To celebrate I have bought a few copies to give away, please let me know if you'd like one.

The files from Steam can be used with the Pandora free version.

(This is perhaps my favourite game and I like throwing money at it!)

Last edited by a moderator:
VVVVVV 2.2 is out on Steam, with achievements and Steam-related improvements, discounted to $2.50.

To celebrate I have bought a few copies to give away, please let me know if you'd like one.

The files from Steam can be used with the Pandora free version.

(This is perhaps my favourite game and I like throwing money at it!)
Will the Pandora non-free version be updated as well? If so I've been meaning to purchase at some point.

Terry has told me the source will be released following the work done for 2.2, so i was waiting for that to update my PND (the free version without data). Im sure that binary could be added by someone if notaz is busy.

Will the source be released to devs, or as open-source?

The latter would be awesome, but either way it will be great to be able to use the new soundtrack "MMMMMM" on Pandora.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/HlQhHUT1boc?feature=oembed
This doesn't come with the update, it costs $10 from http://souleye.se/m - but it can be used in-game.

I'm going to play through flip mode with the new soundtrack and try to get one of the "low deaths" achievements :)

Terry has told me the source will be released following the work done for 2.2, so i was waiting for that to update my PND (the free version without data). Im sure that binary could be added by someone if notaz is busy.
Hopefully the optimizations aren't lost with all that.

Will the source be released to devs, or as open-source?

The latter would be awesome, but either way it will be great to be able to use the new soundtrack "MMMMMM" on Pandora.

[...]

This doesn't come with the update, it costs $10 from http://souleye.se/m - but it can be used in-game.
Wow, it actually sounds quite good! Not sure if I would use it in the game, but maybe I'll buy it just because I like Heavy Metal and VVVVVV.

Back