Wallpapers And Other Graphics Wanted!

(naw)mcx said:
I forgot how much fun 3D is :D

if8sgw.png
I really like that one, though I am not entirely fond of the background colour. I am aware it works pretty well with the red, but it's just too... grey-ish, maybe a little more blue would help.
Apart from that it's great, I am always a big fan of abstract art.

foxblock out

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, I wonder how I keep posting at the bottom of pages. It must be some sort of omen, my art always appearing at the bottom.

nikkopt said:
X x Ben x X said:
This is my first try of making a wallpaper

What renderer did you use and what time did it took to finish?
:)

I used LuxRenderer and it took about 2 hours (I have a quad-core)

Would it be possible to use animated wallpapers on the version of Linux that the Pandora will have?

I found this video on youtube which is supposedly a Dreamscenes like animated background running on linux.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0DqHUhlmnA

Veefy said:
Would it be possible to use animated wallpapers on the version of Linux that the Pandora will have?

I found this video on youtube which is supposedly a Dreamscenes like animated background running on linux.

what about an animated background that shows the pandora box logo opening and then stuff coming out? actually that would probably be better for an intro / startup thing

Paradox said:
what about an animated background that shows the pandora box logo opening and then stuff coming out? actually that would probably be better for an intro / startup thing

They were pretty certain in a previous thread that there will not be a startup animation :( . Too many people bitching about it making the boot time longer and possibly because it's just too hard for them to implement as is.

Veefy said:

Well, since Linux uses X-servers to display content, creating something like "DreamScene®" isn't difficult (I don't know why Microsoft is hyping it up so much).
You basically just use "xwinwrap", which is a "wrapper" for windows, to move a window behind all other windows. If you then take e.g. a screensaver and wrap that, it looks kinda neat.

There's of course also KDE (In the video, you see Gnome 2.6 which isn't KDE obviously), and KDE 4.x where x > 2 is capable of using actual background plugins that don't use hacks to display themselves on the background.
Look at this for an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvqj4QA9AHs

(naw)mcx said:
<image>

Like this?
Well I really need to recalibrate my screen... I am now posting this from school and it looks totally different, actually the first one looks a tad better (though the question arises which monitor is off).
So, I can't give you a final statement on that until I saw it on my very own Pandora.
Maybe it's best to stick with the first version as it's the one you created first and therefore probably agree with the most.

foxblock out

dflemstr said:
Well, since Linux uses X-servers to display content, creating something like "DreamScene®" isn't difficult (I don't know why Microsoft is hyping it up so much).

Well, to sell Vista Ultimate. Actually I can remember having done something similar with Windows 98 by embedding a video into an html document and using that as Active Desktop. Guess what? Active Desktop is no longer available in Vista...

Christoph.Krn said:
Well, to sell Vista Ultimate. Actually I can remember having done something similar with Windows 98 by embedding a video into an html document and using that as Active Desktop. Guess what? Active Desktop is no longer available in Vista...
I had Flash embedded into my Active Desktop. :)
That was before it got stupid and bloated and painfully slow.

I miss Active Desktop.

There was a neat trick I found out. This is in ME. You could take a screenshot of a movie, save it as a .bmp, set it as your background, resuming play and minimizing the player.

You'd have the movie as a wallpaper. 'Course, the icons got in the way and you didn't have any controls, but it was fun to mess about with.

Vlynndar said:
I miss Active Desktop.

There was a neat trick I found out. This is in ME. You could take a screenshot of a movie, save it as a .bmp, set it as your background, resuming play and minimizing the player.

You'd have the movie as a wallpaper. 'Course, the icons got in the way and you didn't have any controls, but it was fun to mess about with.
Yeah, ME failed at memory management... To imagine that the file would remain in cache and actually be written to by the video card... hilarious.

Christoph.Krn said:
dflemstr said:

So you can't use an HTML document as the wallpaper in Vista or 7? That's kind of lame, I remember dreaming up ways to make a picture into a desktop with hidden shortcut icons using an image map, with mouseover effects.
Come to think of it, Gnome/KDE/XFCE can't use html wallpapers either, can they?

Wheels said:
Christoph.Krn said:
dflemstr said:

So you can't use an HTML document as the wallpaper in Vista or 7? That's kind of lame, I remember dreaming up ways to make a picture into a desktop with hidden shortcut icons using an image map, with mouseover effects.
Come to think of it, Gnome/KDE/XFCE can't use html wallpapers either, can they?
I could write a KDE plugin for that in like an hour. Qt has WebKit built in so it isn't difficult at all.

dflemstr said:
I could write a KDE plugin for that in like an hour. Qt has WebKit built in so it isn't difficult at all.
I reckon you only have 54 minutes left. Queue Countdown music.

Back