Wallpapers for Pyra

The boot-time image could be used to warm up your eyes for the desktop (when the system is being turned on in dark-ish environments, of course).

I made something that's slightly bright (maybe too bright, someone will have to try this out on an actual Pyra screen) and has only little amounts of blue (blue light can very much keep you awake at night):

doze-of-coffee.png

Right now I'm putting this image here copyright 2016 Christoph Körner. I might release it under a more permissive license later, but at this time I consider it unfinished and work in progress.

I'm putting this here now to hear whether or not people would actually like the boot to go in this direction stylistically. If you dislike anything about this, please say something (especially if you generally rather dislike boot logos and such).

If you dislike anything about this, please say something

I don't like that image and wouldn't like to have to see it with every boot. That's a personal preference thing though so I don't know how useful such an opinion is, but you did ask. I don't have a problem with the concept of a darkish boot image though.

-Neelix

i like it a lot! the style is awesome, and love the subtle pyra logo.

but i'm not afraid of blues (I like the dark Lubuntu blue for their splash screen), but maybe that's just me.

not sure what the triangle things are (i like the style, but wonder what it is. is it the flux capacitor?). if it's possible to do that style with a picture of the Pyra PCB or keymat, i think that would be cool. my internet is being pokey, but something like from ED's twitter posts below.

[edit] put these below stuff

I dunno. I tend to just leave the text up until lightdm starts, but I'm not sure what value it gives me. I guess it gives me geek cred, but in practice if I do notice something odd in the text, it's gone by the time I can evaluate it properly, and whenever I do go back and go through the dmesg, it turns out to be something I could have ignored if I had more time to consider it.

Anyway, I think it's pretty clear what most people here want, and anything fancy should probably be opt in for anyone who really wants it. What this thread needs though is MOAR PICTURES ;)

Call me crazy but when I start linux I like to see
LUuo9.png
That's what I normally prefer, too, but I also don't like it when something thinks that it should fire photon torpedos at my eyes without properly preparing them for it.

Maybe this should be split into a separate thread for better discussion...

but i'm not afraid of blues (I like the dark Lubuntu blue for their splash screen), but maybe that's just me.
It's biological, certaing lights can influence your sleep positively or negatively. Blue light in particular is well-researched in this respect, see here for some information: https://justgetflux.com/research.html (PS: No, not a flux capacitor.)

Last edited:
i usually have a somewhat darker blue background in my terminal (where i do my coding, etc.), but i think my reason for not falling asleep right away is the hard-core thinking i'm doing right before bed :).

(not to minimize the studies, of course.)

Call me crazy but when I start linux I like to see
That's what I normally prefer, too
Change the boot string to include "splash=false" in the bootargs. It's a uboot standard, you can do it on the Pandora now and you'll definitely be able to do it on the Pyra. Just text for you, and everyone can continue discussing fancy animations without bothering anyone.
Also replacing the splash screen is fairly trivial so if you don't like what comes default you can just get a different one. At least a static image, this whole animated startup is new and may have trouble finding something different.

Change the boot string to include "splash=false" in the bootargs. It's a uboot standard, you can do it on the Pandora now and you'll definitely be able to do it on the Pyra. Just text for you, and everyone can continue discussing fancy animations without bothering anyone.
Also replacing the splash screen is fairly trivial so if you don't like what comes default you can just get a different one. At least a static image, this whole animated startup is new and may have trouble finding something different.

Is there a wiki page where I can get all the pertinent details for this (where I can find the original boot splash, etc)?

Just cycle one Confucious saying in white text on black background each time Pyra boots. Maybe that could put a smile on someone's face each time Pyra boots rather than misery on his face seeing other complicated boot animated screens. I know I will :)

Just scrolling trough this Thread as Boot Animation (Maybe even interactive) would be Fun and it would promote the community Aspect of the Pyra.

Back