Release Wars - public test

bzar

A Commando
Website
Visit site
Dev thread / general info for Wars

Wars public test server

I finally rented a virtual server and registered a domain to try my (and my friend's) multiplayer browser strategy game Wars in a public setting. This is mainly to see the network / cpu / memory loads it causes, so this probably won't be a permanent solution. I'm working on a more efficient (node.js/socket.io/nginx) server, but I'd like to see how the current django/orbited/apache -based solution fares. This game is by no means release quality, but works fine for some playtesting.

I reserve the right to cut the public test at any time if the loads become too high (becomes unplayable, takes all my transfer quota), or if there's some other problems (break-in attempts etc).

Have fun and let me know what you think :)

PS: The game should work entirely through port 80, so no firewall problems should arise. However at least one tester has been unable to connect to the game event server for some reason. In this case you won't see the game map in the "Game" part of the game view. Still figuring out the reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would test if I wasn't too intent on kicking your ass :D

Anyone registered can also view other players' games if given a link. Here's a link to one game me and my friends are playing on a bit bigger map. Progresses really slowly due to people being on summer vacations, but gives a glimpse to what a larger game looks like. The game transforms (by design) quite nicely from tactical to strategic as the number of units and distances grow :)

The game's designed to be able to be played over a long time, unlike Advance Wars? Sweet! If someone makes a move while you're looking at the game, does it update in real time, or do you have to refresh?

Sweet. Will have to give this more of a go. I suggest you entrust somebody here to market this to other communities.

Also, I don't like the default graphics; they look like they're from a bad Flash game or something. The Pixel ones look much better. Though if you change to Pixel theme, the site's overall background should reflect it (currently, it does not).

I've got a game running. Or as it is now, the game (you lost). Hard to miss, I won't even tell you the name. ;)

Until I know how much resources it takes to host Wars for the people here, I won't market it elsewhere actively. This is to keep the game playable for everyone with my puny virtual server plan :)

The default theme is the result of me doing something quick and dirty in inkscape that somewhat resemble what they are supposed to represent. Each sprite in that set was done literally in a couple of minutes. Pixel theme got some more love :) . The site background is not currently included in the stuff that changes with the theme. I'll probably change this in the gamenode-based rewrite I'm working on.

Can we have some administrative actions like kicking people/spectators (can spectators chat?), or ending the game in its entirety?

EDIT: I'm also making a map called New York City, which recreates Manhattan and a few surrounding areas. Coming out nicely so far. Can we have drawbridges that take a turn to open or close to allow boats through?

EDIT II: More things to note;

• Surprisingly close to the original in gameplay! Well done!
  • Is weather planned?
  • I like the map editor a lot, I really do.
  • I have to zoom out to use the map editor at 16x16 (but I have a resolution of 1024x600, pitiful)
  • Found no bugs
  • A bit more description in the manual about each unit and tile?
  • Better font would definitely be awesome. May I suggest Emulogic?
  • The Chat window sometimes spreads my same (same there as here) to two lines, other times it's just on one.

Can we have some administrative actions like kicking people/spectators (can spectators chat?), or ending the game in its entirety?
If you surrender and leave, you're effectively ended the game for yourself. It vanishes from your game list and you are no longer considered a player in it. Spectators can't currently chat (to avoid misbehavior). Kicking people and forcing turn changes is something I'll implement at some point.

EDIT: I'm also making a map called New York City, which recreates Manhattan and a few surrounding areas. Coming out nicely so far. Can we have drawbridges that take a turn to open or close to allow boats through?
The game mechanic at this point does not support tiles with changing properties like this. Adding them would be quite a hassle.

Surprisingly close to the original in gameplay! Well done!
It's close, but I've made some tweaks to the core mechanic of my own to make it work better in longer games.

Is weather planned?
Not at the time.

I like the map editor a lot, I really do.
I'm actually making a better one to the gamenode-based rewrite I'm doing.

I have to zoom out to use the map editor at 16x16 (but I have a resolution of 1024x600, pitiful)
Browser zooming is a great asset in Wars in general.

Found no bugs
Yay! I know there are some, though :p

A bit more description in the manual about each unit and tile?
Units and tiles are mostly defined by their stats, which are visible in the Info page. I know it's a bit hard to read, but I'd rather spend time writing the code than writing prose :) . Also I've considered adding custom unit/rule sets, which would break longer descriptions anyway :p

Better font would definitely be awesome. May I suggest Emulogic?
I'm revamping the UI for the gamenode-based rewrite, I'll take suggestions for it when its ready for testing.

The Chat window sometimes spreads my same (same there as here) to two lines, other times it's just on one.
Yeah, it works a bit wonky sometimes. CSS is sometimes a bit quirky :)

I would like to delete the map "bugtest", but I can't :p

Oh and I would also like to know how healing is calculated.

EDIT: Here are some bugs:

- My new map "Tournament Island" somehow shows up as an 8 player map

- Creating a game with a "-" in the name creates an error page (other special characters, too I assume)

EDIT: A few more things

- you cannot leave a game that has not started yet (or at least there does not seem to be an obvious way)

- you can start a game although you are not "host" (aka first player) --> games should start after all players have joined automatically

How exactly do beaches work? Can Solders enter the water through them? How far can they swim out? (too lazy to test that out, but probably should be mentioned in the manual)

Back