Water Damage

primitiveplus

Still Fresh
Hello,

Long, long time lurker; first time poster. I managed to spill about .5 liter of water directly onto my pandora keyboard and screen while it was on. I immediately turned it off, took out the battery, dried out the exterior, and left it upside-down over some paper. I'm at work, and I'll probably dip it into some dried rice once I'm at home, about 4 hours from now, but Is there something else I can do right now to prevent damage?

Yeah.

Don't spill things on it!

No, seriously, you might try a hairdryer on VERY LOW HEAT setting...or no heat setting if you have it....could help dry up some of the liquid.  I'm no electronics engineer, but I don't think that would HARM it any worse than it already is.

I would direct the hairdryer at the keyboard and NOT the LCD...while it is upside down.  And truly NO HEAT setting would be best.  At no heat, I cant see it even harming the LCD, but I would not know for 100 percent sure.

In fact...and I might be wrong, but I suspect the rice would not be a fabulous idea as a grain could get inside where it doesn't belong and cause more problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah.

No, seriously, you might try a hairdryer on VERY LOW HEAT setting...or no heat setting if you have it....could help dry up some of the liquid.  I'm no electronics engineer, but I don't think that would HARM it any worse than it already is.
 You might push the water deeper into the electronics ... If you have access to a wet/dry vaccum you can try to use that to "grab  the water" from the pandora

Oh man, I knew this community was amazing, but I didn't expect such quick replies!

Yeah.

You might push the water deeper into the electronics ... If you have access to a wet/dry vaccum you can try to use that to "grab  the water" from the pandora
I do have access to a wetvac at work! I'll try this out shortly

You can also try to put your pandora in a box( or other closed container) with a very strong desiccant such

http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-Gram-Silica-Gel-Desiccant/dp/B006L882NM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1359159750&sr=8-5&keywords=desiccant+packs+electronics

You  can also pick them up in a electronics supply store like radioshack (sorry dont know what country you are in to be more specfic)

Btw desiccant packs are also called silicia gel packets. Hope that helps
I am in the US; I'll seek out something like these soon! I also collect silica gel packets from random things for occasions such as this ;) I am a very clumsy person.

Yeah, the vac IS a better idea than the hairdryer for the reason mentioned.

But, what I had in mind was...Pandora opened, upside down, hairdryer blowing THRU the empty space, but at the keyboard side, creaing a drying effect.  The dessicant would probably be better, too.

But I never would have suggested blowing the hairdryer right at it, unless it was upside down, too...for the reason mentioned.

Yeah, the vac IS a better idea than the hairdryer for the reason mentioned.

But, what I had in mind was...Pandora opened, upside down, hairdryer blowing THRU the empty space, but at the keyboard side, creaing a drying effect.  The dessicant would probably be better, too.

But I never would have suggested blowing the hairdryer right at it, unless it was upside down, too...for the reason mentioned.
I think I get what you're saying. I'm trying to think of a way to passively dry it (I actually work at a bakery, so maybe setting it near the oven would help? Definitely don't want to bake any of the insides though.)

The wetvac definitely helped though. I was able to get a considerable amount of the water out from inside :D Didn't expect the nubs to hold so much liquid.

its not that difficult to take a pandora apart, or at least take the pcb out. ED made a video on doing it pretty much on youtube if you feel safe enough to do it that way

Well, at least perhaps my initial response inspired someone else to come up with the better idea of the wetvac that I did not think of...had I not mentioned something that blows...someone else might not have mentioned something that sucked!! LOL

Success! I left my pandora overnight in a small box, with silica gel packets between the keyboard and screen, and filled the box with rice. Took it apart this morning, used some compressed air to clean it off, and all looks good! Touchscreen, bluetooth, nubs, keyboard, usb, etc. everything seems to work! That was probably the closest i've ever been to a heart attack.

Thanks to y'all for your help! :D

Good to hear your Pandora survived this! :)

Now can someone repeat the experiment but with other beverages, e.g. hot coffee? ;)

Good to hear your Pandora survived this! :)

Now can someone repeat the experiment but with other beverages, e.g. hot coffee? ;)
Me, too, glad it survived. Also glad we all were able to help.

It sounds like you did a sort of amalgamation of the various suggestions presented to you.

NOT recommended, the hot coffee.

When someone said to put Java on the Pandora...that is NOT the kind of java they meant!

When someone said to put Java on the Pandora...that is NOT the kind of java they meant!
Quite correct, they meant this one.

javanese.gif

;)

Quite correct, they meant this one.

javanese.gif

;)
How did I just KNOW someone would think this up!! LOL!!

As an aside, you DO know that Krakatoa was right near Java and Sumatra, right?

Might be a bit too heavy :confused:
Only if you have a black case, the silver ones should be able to take that kind of weight without cracking. :)
I dunno about that.Now, if you have ever been to the American Southwest, and seen an armadillo...

You could land A FREAKING B-52 on an armadillo, and it's shell wouldn't crack!! THAT's the material they need to get hold of for Pandy cases!!

Back