Spilt A Cup Of Hot Water All Over My Gp2x

deepmenace

Website
Visit site
:(

it was face up, turned off. the water went onto the front of it then all over it.

i towl dried it - shook it a lot to get the water out from inside it ( ! )
held it under a hand drier for about 5 minutes
let it sit for about 5 hours

tried it and it worked....then crashed about 1 minute in.
turned off then on, nope. distorted lines.

waited another hour.
hit it against my own head in a rage.
turned on, it WORKED ! ! ! ! :p

now seems to be just fine, just played thru the complete last level of metal slug 2, damn it gets difficult..( save states ftw! )

hoorah for the gp2x build quality !

Most DC powered devices can take a little water as long as their off when it happens. Next time, let it dry out completely before you turn it back on, though. ;)

It's pretty hard to kill a device like this when it has no power going through it, just with a bit of water. If it were on it might be a different story. But I've TRIED to kill systems by deliberately pouring water on them while they were powered and had them survive the experience anyway. Doesn't really have anything to do with build quality.

I'd really open it up and let it dry fully before you keep using it, though. Sounds like you just barely dislodged some puddles in there when you smacked it.

hmm, ok - yeah good point.

may open her up and air it bit tonight.

thanks.

my sister killed her laptop like that, spilt water on it and then tried to turn it on straight after ( n00b ).

**FizzLE**

You're actually better off letting it dry naturally rather than using heat from a dryer.

My missus dropped her phone (Motorola Slvr) down the toilet (don't ask) when it was on and I didn't give it much hope of recovery, but it's up and running again. The LCD has some odd 'crystalization' but it's only noticeable from certain angles...

By 'air it' I think he meant 'air out', as in just let it sit and evaporate. I'm sure it'll be fine, really. I got my cell phone wet in the rain and it wouldn't work, then I took out its battery and let it sit for a day and it was fine.

A friend of mine put his mobile phone through a washing machine... few dead lines on the display but worked fine :)

I'm glad your GP2X survived :)

Gruntfuggly posted on Sep 28 2006 at 10:02 AM said:
You're actually better off letting it dry naturally rather than using heat from a dryer.

My missus dropped her phone (Motorola Slvr) down the toilet (don't ask) when it was on and I didn't give it much hope of recovery, but it's up and running again. The LCD has some odd 'crystalization' but it's only noticeable from certain angles...

my sister did the same thing, she keeps her cell phone in her back pocket :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
hitbyambulance posted on Sep 28 2006 at 04:40 PM said:
aren't Li-Ion batteries super sensitive to water? they swell up and stop working after exposure. so the phones will work fine, but the batteries would need replacing..
I had an old samsung that I washed in the washing machine :huh:. After a month it was fully dried and seemed to be running fine again (of course I had a new phone by then :lol: )

A few years ago I put my MP3 player (with laser pointer!!) through the wash.

It might have survived, if it hadn't broken up into about a dozen pieces... I actually cried.

Azalin posted on Sep 28 2006 at 02:15 PM said:
I put a tamagochi through a washer once. It survived. Sadly, i didn't learn from my mistake and it died the next time it happend, a week later.

Poor Chichi, RIP :(
Tomagochi on a neckchain+Aquarium=

RIP

Yono posted on Sep 28 2006 at 09:29 PM said:
Azalin posted on Sep 28 2006 at 02:15 PM said:
I put a tamagochi through a washer once. It survived. Sadly, i didn't learn from my mistake and it died the next time it happend, a week later.

Poor Chichi, RIP :(
Tomagochi on a neckchain+Aquarium=

RIP

N..n..NOoooooooooo!OOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

waited another hour.

Heheh, makes me laugh the old violence/technology thing. People say they dont make good bedfellows yet the amount of times i have slapped/punched/thrown devices and they have suddenly worked! I calculate the success rate at 6 out of 10.

Apart from the thrown thing.......using that method it just got worse...........i dont advise that one.

drokkeh posted on Sep 29 2006 at 04:11 PM said:
waited another hour.

Heheh, makes me laugh the old violence/technology thing. People say they dont make good bedfellows yet the amount of times i have slapped/punched/thrown devices and they have suddenly worked! I calculate the success rate at 6 out of 10.

Apart from the thrown thing.......using that method it just got worse...........i dont advise that one.

this reminds me of the Firby, accept the opposite. The only way you could get it just shut off was by throwing it out a window :lol: .

On a more related note, I've spilt water on GP2X and it worked fine after a day of airing out.

I put my Sony Ericsson through the wash three times a few years ago. It died on the fourth. (you'd think I would have learned by then...)

I know the "banging electrical devices" thing is an old joke but 2 weeks ago the clocking-in/out machine at work wasnt working, I hit it once and it worked!

Go figure!

A funny thread with a happy ending :D

Back