We Are No Longer Taking Hardware Suggestions

chad78

Website
Visit site
The hardware design stage for the Pandora MK1 is complete. We thank you for your interest in the Pandora, and hope you will get one after they are released in the open coming months. Please feel free to join in the discussions of the software, mods, add-ons, and other Pandora related topics.

----

This way people will stop getting upset by people coming in saying "How about an accelorometer?" or "Let's do a gaming only version!" or "Why does it need a keyboard" - etc.

I don't blame anyone - neither the new-comers who don't know the design has been finalized - nor the regulars who are getting annoyed by the constant suggestions of the same rejected designs.

If anything - I blame the OpenPandora.org website for still requesting suggestions and pointing them here.
I have an idea / Will you please change Xyz...
Head over to the OpenPandora Forums and tell us your idea...
- but if we get a sticky, it should at least help stem the tide a little.

people know that, but that doesn't stop them from posting. A sticky wouldn't change a thing

Kloplop321 said:
Better moderation
That's not really fair. What could the mods do?

Chad's got the right idea by making a sticky.
It's getting annoying that people are not only asking for outrageous things waay too late in the game, but they're asking for the same outrageous things!
I don't blame them though, they're just trying to help make the Pandora the best console it can be, it's too bad it's too late for this kind of input.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were a mod and I were in this situation where I had authority I would do a fast reply of "Read the stickies" and lock the thread. No flame, No hatred. Just a simple "put a giant obvious sign in their face and let them put the idea together in their head"

But the site does need to be updated, it is being neglected a bit. The blog is updated every so often, but still.

Correct me if I have this wrong, but I thought the whole idea of "open" meant that even though the hardware was finalized for this version, we should never stop taking suggestions. This device has been basically created by taking suggestions, and nothing is stopping the creators from releasing revisions or completely new versions in the future. As such, we should never stop discussing what can be changed to be better for one reason or another. I agree that there shouldn't be as much discussion concerning these kinds of things, but it still definitely has a place on this forum, IMO.

anexanhume said:
Correct me if I have this wrong, but I thought the whole idea of "open" meant that even though the hardware was finalized for this version, we should never stop taking suggestions. This device has been basically created by taking suggestions, and nothing is stopping the creators from releasing revisions or completely new versions in the future. As such, we should never stop discussing what can be changed to be better for one reason or another. I agree that there shouldn't be as much discussion concerning these kinds of things, but it still definitely has a place on this forum, IMO.
Well the hardware has been finalized for the version that we would receive. However, Why don't you guy's wait till a Mach II version has been publicized and awaiting more suggestions?
And by "open" it is more towards Open Source programming. as it is an Open Source Gaming device. ;)

Kloplop321 said:
anexanhume said:
Well the hardware has been finalized for the version that we would receive. However, Why don't you guy's wait till a Mach II version has been publicized and awaiting more suggestions?
And by "open" it is more towards Open Source programming. as it is an Open Source Gaming device. ;)

Or you could just keep a running thread so that people can put their ideas in whenever they want. To me, this device was created was because the current devices out there are determined by a few select individuals and end up missing needed features because they go through a closed-loop system. This process has been completely open so as to make sure that the people who matter, the owners, will have all of their desires realized. That's a beautifully uncommon thing.

Similarly, I don't think we should underestimate just how open this device is. Yes, it's open source. But it has also been open for hardware suggestions from the beginning and the hardware is completely open for people to hack (the designers want you to hack). To limit open to open source diminishes the beauty of this project.

this is a VERY good idea

SHOUT OUT TO MODS, STICKY THIS

i mean i understand that since this is an open source machine, and the post on openpandora.org, but COME ON all you have to do is look at the blog section and you can see how far they are!! Well, lets hope they see this and stop posting all their VERY LATE ideas, i am really tired of having to search through the pandora sections each day just to find the quality topics :-||

schnitzelboy said:
this is a VERY good idea

SHOUT OUT TO MODS, STICKY THIS

i mean i understand that since this is an open source machine, and the post on openpandora.org, but COME ON all you have to do is look at the blog section and you can see how far they are!! Well, lets hope they see this and stop posting all their VERY LATE ideas, i am really tired of having to search through the pandora sections each day just to find the quality topics :-||
Only a fraction is suggestion threads, though. A lot of it is "omigosh i tuld my frund bout this and he sed no way and..." That's because there's a lot of excitement around it, but not a whole lot of understanding. It's something to be expected.

Why should we stop taking suggestions? Yes we are going on and mostly specs are rock solid but anyone can make suggestions. This is how Pandora idea become true.

If you have any idea you are welcome to share it and we can discuss it. Without hurting each other and with respect... ;)

If you're talking about a hardware suggestion that modifies the Pandora board or design directly, im pretty sure chad's statement is valid. If you're talking about a mod/addon, then hardware suggestions are completely fine. I think people are just starting to get annoyed with others coming and asking for a change that would basically put Pandora back at the start of the whole development cycle.

To anexanhume.

Open ≠ Anarchy
Open ≠ democracy
Open ≠ without order

Pandora is not a 100% open device. I can't for the life of me get anyone to get me a screenshot of the GUI - much less a working binary or the source code. (Search for the GPL FreeSoftwareFreaks assault on GPH over the GP2X's OS prior to its release.)

Even if the software where 100% FSFreaks definition of open - that doesn't mean squat for the hardware.

The hardware is based, so they tell me, on suggestions and discussions and debates on these very forums. In fact, a recent issue with the nubs was put to a poll and the majority ruled. HOWEVER - this does not mean the Pandora team has to carefully, equally, weigh every half-baked idea that joe nobody comes up with on their first post to the forums. Most of these ideas (PSP type form factor - lose the keyboard - 4 shoulder buttons - accelerometer - swivel instead of clamshell - add GPS - add cell phone - etc.) have all been discussed before, and for one reason or another dismissed.

Even if some brilliant n00b came up with a ground-breaking, brand new, never-before-seen, must-have idea... Pragmatically, it's far too late to change the design. (I personally have this idea about replacing the keyboard with a touchscreen - and making the top screen just a screen to save money, since touching the screen on the top part of the shell would be hard anyway. So it would be a Dual Screen video game system... I think it would print money! ... but alas, the world may never know.)

If and when Craig & co - or the next group of renegandes - start kicking around the idea of a Pandora II, or a Pandora replacement - then we can start taking more hardware suggestions. At this point, taking them doesn't help. And the people making these hardware suggestions are, for the most part, wanting it done immediately - not in a couple years when the Pii can come out.

Way to blow a minor problem (if it even is a problem) out of proportion..

First of all, I don't think there would be any Bluetooth if it was not for the suggestions people made about Bluetooth after the "design was done"...
Additionally, I thought the "design process" was so that the first-generation Pandora's would serve as "test units", to see if anything is wrong and maybe then change something. Or add something. The overall design of the "final" pandora isn't completely set in stone yet, and depending on what the users want further, it might still change. Ofcourse, we've got to be reasonable and think that some "big" change might not make it in the final Pandora unit.

Also, no official word is no official word.

If this post gets stickied, we might aswell put up a "No more 'what are you going to do with Pandora' and 'can program x be ported' threads please!" post... Hey.. While we're at it, we might aswell ban ALL discussion about the Pandora! How about that?

Banning certain discussion of a certain topic is not the way to go; create a big thread where people discuss that topic instead.

Also, IF you are going to make a sticky that conveys the idea of banning hardware discussion, at least word it properly and explain the whys and hows. Wording it properly includes not using the word "n00b".

Also, Openpandora.org still asks for suggestions. When they remove that part on their site, we can put up a sticky. Until then, maybe not.

Sphinxter said:
Just because they're not taking any of your suggestions doesn't mean others can't make a few. Lighten up, they're only suggestions.
My "Suggestion" mentioned in this thread was a DS - it was a joke. If we have a sticky that says something diplomatically along the lines of "The hardware design stage is complete. We thank you for your interest in the Pandora, and hope you will get one after they are released in the open coming months. Please feel free to join in the discussions of the software, mods, add-ons, and other Pandora related topics." Then when n00bs (and, I'm sorry if you are offended by that term - but it just means newbie - which everyone is at first. It's like being a freshman - or a Frosh - it's only an insult if you take it that way) come in with their "new idea" of including an IR sensor - we can simply point to the sticky and close the thread.

A stickied thread for all future hardware suggestions would be a good idea, just to collect them in one place and tidy up the forum. The first post in the thread can make it clear that the mk1 design is finalized, but people are welcome to throw out ideas for future devices.

I've been trying to figure out exactly how many community suggestions have ever been taken on board to be honest... I remember the original MagicEyes SOC was ditched after general apathy, i.MX31 was bandied about for a while, then they landed the sweet OMAP deal with TI. What suggestions have been taken on board after that? :huh: Mostly I see polls about stuff that ends in argument, things go quiet, then the Pandora team choose whatever they can get (eg: analogue nubs)

I'm not trolling, I just have a terrible memory and can't be arsed to trawl through the endless flame-strewn threads to find out the answer. Any corrections are welcome :)

fishybawb said:
I've been trying to figure out exactly how many community suggestions have ever been taken on board to be honest... I remember the original MagicEyes SOC was ditched after general apathy, i.MX31 was bandied about for a while, then they landed the sweet OMAP deal with TI. What suggestions have been taken on board after that? :huh: Mostly I see polls about stuff that ends in argument, things go quiet, then the Pandora team choose whatever they can get (eg: analogue nubs)

I'm not trolling, I just have a terrible memory and can't be arsed to trawl through the endless flame-strewn threads to find out the answer. Any corrections are welcome :)
Pretty much the entire design was hammered out by suggestion and debate. The fact that it's a clamshell, has a keypad and two analog pads, and a 10 hr. battery were all things that were put up for debate. Not everything has been put in an official poll with the winning feature added to the design, but as the design team has shaped the device over the last year or so they have definitely done so based on the discussions here.

The original idea for the Craiginator was basically a faster GP2X with wifi and a better battery - for about the same price or less than a GP2X. As the discussions went on, it became apparant that people were willing to pay more to get more, and the Pandora is the result.

Megagun said:
First of all, I don't think there would be any Bluetooth if it was not for the suggestions people made about Bluetooth after the "design was done"...
Bluetooth had been suggested much earlier on - well before the design was finalized. In fact, it was probably the most complained-about missing feature since well before the first test board was fabbed.

Still, that's not why it was added. There were issues with original wifi chip, and the best replacement happened to have BT capabilities as well. We just got lucky on that one.

Chip said:
Pretty much the entire design was hammered out by suggestion and debate. The fact that it's a clamshell, has a keypad and two analog pads, and a 10 hr. battery were all things that were put up for debate. Not everything has been put in an official poll with the winning feature added to the design, but as the design team has shaped the device over the last year or so they have definitely done so based on the discussions here.
Really? I remember the first look we got as already having a clamshell design, analogues and a keypad, before discussion started. The general consensus was that these were Good Things, but I don't remember any debates until after it had happened. If there weren't so many frickin' threads in here, I might be able to look back with some success ;)

Same with the battery - Craig said something along the lines of "do people want a long life battery that weighs a couple more ounces than the one has a shorter life?", when it was pretty obvious it'd already been chosen on account of it being a complete no-brainer :)

Back