What Can We Expect At Launch, Software Wise?

mazza558

We know a lot about the Hardware, but software is still undecided. Angstrom will be used by default, but does anyone (specifically software devs) have any idea whether we'll see basic apps like a web browser, media player, etc out of the box? Or is this the job of the people who are getting MK2 devboards?

Web browser is likely, as one already works.

Media player is less likely to work out of the box. It would be classified as commercial, so would be plagued with patents and licensing issues (ie, it wouldn't play MP3s unless Craigix agreed a licensing deal, and since the player would most likely be replaced soon after the Pandora is released, it seems a little daft).

i agree with squidge i cant see there being a media player on release... maybe we will see some homebrew on the console either by the devs or people who are happy for their work to be on it at release

It was mentioned that mplayer will be available for download, as it is already working as seen in a video.

Anything in an angstrom repo can be built.

I certainly wouldn't expect a media player pre-installed but if you lived in an area where it was legal and wanted to compile and use vlc that would be fine. Angstrom's MultiMedia repo has a good bunch of software in it.

Also we know that There will be a fair few emulators http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=41897

Last edited by a moderator:
Bryce Leo said:
I certainly wouldn't expect a media player pre-installed but if you lived in an area where it was legal and wanted to compile and use vlc that would be fine. Angstrom's MultiMedia repo has a good bunch of software in it.

This always cracks me up. So you live in an area where it's not legal; what are you gonna do? Uhmmm...

When things like Ubuntu ask, in whatever their words are, these are restricted codecs if you are sure it is legal to download in your country etc, just how many people stop and consider or bother to find out if they are unsure. I suspect nearly everyone just clicks "ok, download the sucker regardless"

TaG said:
This always cracks me up. So you live in an area where it's not legal; what are you gonna do? Uhmmm...
Oh don't be a daft a-hole. I'm certainly not admitting to any wrong doing in a public form where who knows what sort of rabid lawyer from one of those worthless acronym based organizations is going to try to ruin my day. Feel free to admit to what you like but as for me, I stick out of the way of the lawyers.

atomicthumbs said:
Wikipedia offline reader will be ready a couple of days after release.
This will be good. :) Not only handy, but good instant show-off factor as well. It's something average Joe can relate to straight away.

Gruso said:
atomicthumbs said:
Wikipedia offline reader will be ready a couple of days after release.
This will be good. :) Not only handy, but good instant show-off factor as well. It's something average Joe can relate to straight away.
Screw Wikipedia, what about Uncylopedia and Encylopedia Dramatica offline dumps?

So wait, people are affraid of the vague threat of the RIAA and MPAA in regards to a generally availiable set of codecs, but freely admit to using emulators whos major reason for existance is playing illegal roms?

hehe.

Okay seriously though. Just because you cant pacakge it with Mplayer dosent mean you can't just download it later after it's been tweaked for use on the Pandora and uploaded to the net, right? just want to be clear on that because I fully intend to watch whatever the hell I want to (assuming the player can feasibly support it) on my Pandora.

Alpha2 said:
So wait, people are affraid of the vague threat of the RIAA and MPAA in regards to a generally availiable set of codecs, but freely admit to using emulators whos major reason for existance is playing illegal roms?

hehe.

Okay seriously though. Just because you cant pacakge it with Mplayer dosent mean you can't just download it later after it's been tweaked for use on the Pandora and uploaded to the net, right? just want to be clear on that because I fully intend to watch whatever the hell I want to (assuming the player can feasibly support it) on my Pandora.
One reason I really want the Pandora is for the reason you mentioned. I'm tired of conforming to Apples mp4/m4v format for a 30 mb video file. I want to be able to download whatever video in whatever format and load it onto my Pandora, and watch it anywhere, anytime I want. Is that not the meaning of freedom. (not if your in communist Russia, because then you are the format.)

Squidge said:
Media player is less likely to work out of the box. It would be classified as commercial, so would be plagued with patents and licensing issues (ie, it wouldn't play MP3s unless Craigix agreed a licensing deal, and since the player would most likely be replaced soon after the Pandora is released, it seems a little daft).

TaG said:
When things like Ubuntu ask, in whatever their words are, these are restricted codecs if you are sure it is legal to download in your country etc, just how many people stop and consider or bother to find out if they are unsure. I suspect nearly everyone just clicks "ok, download the sucker regardless"
I've gotten both Gentoo and Ubuntu to play any media format I could through at it, just emerge or apt-get the libraries. If someone wants to supply a package that will add everything to the default media player that should be good enough for everyone. We can't expect any device to play every media format out of the box. Name one device that does all this and doesn't do what Gentoo, Ubuntu, o really any OS do?

I'm not sure if the structure will be that much different, but usually there is just a global folder that contains all the libraries and every program uses them. Will it be this way with the flavor of Linux on the Pandora?

Back