Non-gaming Apps

If anyone is thinking about drawing/sketching apps like I am. Wouldn't it be a good question to ask if the Pandora had any pressure sensitivity at all? I know that the DS touchscreen has some (roughly 20 layers) which is why people can draw on it, but does the Pandora touchscreen have any?

my wish list :)
  • comicbook reader
  • ebook reader (with bookmarks and changeable font size)
  • sketching/painting app
  • also a drawing app dedicated just for sprites
  • also some kinda audiobook player would be nice (just a simple mp3 player that remembers how far and what file, i listened last time)
  • oh, and a notepad would be nice too

Lou said:
If anyone is thinking about drawing/sketching apps like I am. Wouldn't it be a good question to ask if the Pandora had any pressure sensitivity at all? I know that the DS touchscreen has some (roughly 20 layers) which is why people can draw on it, but does the Pandora touchscreen have any?
while pressure sensitivity would be great, you can still do some amazing stuff without it (that is as long as you can change the pressure manually :))

heres couple of my old oekaki drawings made without pressure sensitivity:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/pup...71min-storm.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/pup...2min-sunset.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see a Sprite/GIF creator, along the lines of Galeus. A portable sprite creator would be my dream. This machine should rock the block, to coin a phrase.

i'll be happy, appwise if it contains the following:
-web browser, hopefully, but not absolutely with flash, java, etc. support. it claims to be able to run Firefox 3. as far as I'm concerned, FF3 would be wonderful! i suppose a pdf reader would be very nice, here, too.
-media player (could be seperate one for Audio and Video. I'd like something like Foobar2000 or Winamp or wmplayer that has the ability to "queue up" tracks into a temporary playlist, instead of being like an ipod where you can only listen to tracks in sequence or on random. i hope people know what i mean here. visualizations would be sweet, though unnecessary. Foobar is nice and light if that makes a difference. a variety of formats would also be nice (wma, mp3, ogg, m4a, aac, etc) and for video, ogm, avi (with divx or xvid formatting), wmv (maybe), mp4 (maybe), etc.

other cool additions would be:
-a simple word processor (even if it could only save as rtf and txt. very few papers i've written needed a full out msword doc format. just basic formatting (text wrapping, size, indent, etc.)
-spreadsheet
-sketching software
-audacity (or similar)
-archive program
-soulseek client (i wonder if there's a debian armel package of nicotine or something already)

TheRedFox said:
i'll be happy, appwise if it contains the following:
-web browser, hopefully, but not absolutely with flash, java, etc. support. it claims to be able to run Firefox 3. as far as I'm concerned, FF3 would be wonderful! i suppose a pdf reader would be very nice, here, too.
-media player (could be seperate one for Audio and Video. I'd like something like Foobar2000 or Winamp or wmplayer that has the ability to "queue up" tracks into a temporary playlist, instead of being like an ipod where you can only listen to tracks in sequence or on random. i hope people know what i mean here. visualizations would be sweet, though unnecessary. Foobar is nice and light if that makes a difference. a variety of formats would also be nice (wma, mp3, ogg, m4a, aac, etc) and for video, ogm, avi (with divx or xvid formatting), wmv (maybe), mp4 (maybe), etc.

vlc (perhaps with an ui tweaked for small screens?)

other cool additions would be:
-a simple word processor (even if it could only save as rtf and txt. very few papers i've written needed a full out msword doc format. just basic formatting (text wrapping, size, indent, etc.)
-spreadsheet

CLI:
Plain text: nano / vi
Spreadsheet: vc / sc

GUI:
Plain desktop suites:
koffice (kword, kcalc...)
or
abiword + gnumeric

Again, it won't be necessary to start something from scratch, but the UI will need tweaking.

XBMC with plugins specifically for pandora: youtube, game launcher, voice recognition for media player (in car), hopefully more..

greendots said:
XBMC with plugins specifically for pandora: youtube, game launcher, voice recognition for media player (in car), hopefully more..
XBMC has some really heavy system requirements. True the Pandora should be able to run it with some heavy modification of the OpenGL code. I'm afraid that it would take some serious tweaking to make run. Additionally it specificially says x86 in the requirements indicating some x86 specific code making it not ARM compatible.

That being said, +1 for an XBMC port.

It is a great media center app, and wouldn't make a bad non-X11 frontend to the Pandora for those people interested in Games and emulators first, UMPC second.

TheRedFox said:
Bean is a nice, lean, open source word processor. I use it because it is not overloaded with features and toolbars I don't need. Unfortunately, I think it depends on OS X for the built-in dictionary and some other cocoa infrastructure, so even though it is open source, I don't think it would be easy to port.

jam

What is the official word on multi-tasking?

I would like to be able to receive email notifications while playing a game, for example.

beljam said:
Bean is a nice, lean, open source word processor. I use it because it is not overloaded with features and toolbars I don't need. Unfortunately, I think it depends on OS X for the built-in dictionary and some other cocoa infrastructure, so even though it is open source, I don't think it would be easy to port.

jam

SIAG Office would be a good alternative to Bean. In fact, I'd prefer it even to the ubiquitous Abiword/Gnumeric combo for its simplicity. It would certainly be a lot better than a port of OpenOffice.org.

mindlord said:
greendots said:
XBMC has some really heavy system requirements. True the Pandora should be able to run it with some heavy modification of the OpenGL code. I'm afraid that it would take some serious tweaking to make run. Additionally it specificially says x86 in the requirements indicating some x86 specific code making it not ARM compatible.

That being said, +1 for an XBMC port.

It is a great media center app, and wouldn't make a bad non-X11 frontend to the Pandora for those people interested in Games and emulators first, UMPC second.

Well if the Xbox could run it why not Pandora? Shame about the x86 code though, i'd definitely like to see it.

FranXico said:
What is the official word on multi-tasking?

I would like to be able to receive email notifications while playing a game, for example.
They plan on using a version the X server for the GUI, so I'd be shocked if multitasking wasn't available.

However, games and other RAM-hogging software are going to want to shut down X (and thus any applications that depend on it) before they launch fully. Hopefully there'll be a setting for that.

I would really like to see a Scientific Calculator + Graphing program on this. It would be cool + useful to be able to create graphs + do all my calculations on a handheld for my physics investigation (I will have 1 new graph every experiment I do, with a total of around 30 experiments for the investigation). And having a program that draws a accurate graphs would be a lot more efficient that writing out results, and then laboriously inputting them into an excel sheet. But instead Putting in the data as instead of recording to paper (and then algorithms if calculations need to be run on that data) and then a pretty graph made and then exported as a jpg or Openoffice style file.
Also I will be cooler than everyone else :)

Also do you think there will be much support for logging into my school network on the Pandora? (+ finding WEP keys?)My school uses Novell for the networking, and I can find out the IP addresses and all that, but Will I need certain programs so that I can access the file servers?

-Shoutcast radio
-Audiobook support in mediaplayer
-something similar to 2nd Speech Center
-something similar to anytv

Back